Where's the new stuff?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Well, maybe next week.

Though you know, they do product launches on Wednesday now.

• Reply 42 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My position has changed a bit as to what and when, I now beleive they are waiting for WWDC with the idea of announcing new machines that can ship then plus pre announcing machines that can ship later in the month. The goal possibly being to announce everything at once.

I don't see that as significant unless they have feature more important than Ivy Bridge. To that end I suspect retina displays and SSDs across the board.

As to upgrading I wasn't planning on it this year either but my MBP has taken a bit of damage. I will try to Hold out for something other than Ivy Bridge myself. As to games I'm not a big player myself but do realize that isn't the Reston to want a decent GPU these days. May apps make use of GPU acceleration and this can't be dismissed.
    winter wrote: »
    I actually bought the base mini and put an SSD in it. I am happy with it. I am just saying that if Apple wanted me to spend a bit more, I would spend more based on that option.

@wizard69 - I don't think I will be upgrading until Haswell anyway. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that Intel cheapened out on the thermal paste for Ivy Bridge.

In addition, the quad/discrete option under a grand I thought would be perfect for me to play Diablo III on (as well as possibly other games in the future). Right now, I really have no interest in playing Diablo III.
  • Reply 43 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My position has changed a bit as to what and when, I now beleive they are waiting for WWDC with the idea of announcing new machines that can ship then plus pre announcing machines that can ship later in the month. The goal possibly being to announce everything at once.

But they wouldn't announce anything that wasn't available to order that day, agreed?

Quote:

I don't see that as significant unless they have feature more important than Ivy Bridge. To that end I suspect retina displays and SSDs across the board.

I just don't see that being physically possible. The former due to a total existence failure, the latter due to price. It'd be spectacular, to be sure, but I just don't see it.

• Reply 44 of 60
    But they wouldn't announce anything that wasn't available to order that day, agreed?
    They have done it before. Announce something that will be available in two or three weeks.

I just don't see that being physically possible. The former due to a total existence failure, the latter due to price. It'd be spectacular, to be sure, but I just don't see it.

You are repeatedly on record as saying that HiDPI screens aren't available yet manufactures have announced availability. I look at it this way; if Apple had nothing else to deliver, a revved Mac Book Pro would already be here. A new case means nothing in this context. As to the SSD this is not a problem, the SSD components are cheap for what we want to accomplish with it. Ignore the rip off prices you see on SSDs and look at the underlying tech.
  • Reply 45 of 60

Quote:

You are repeatedly on record as saying that HiDPI screens aren't available yet manufactures have announced availability.

Wait, where?! Link?! That's awesome! How big, just 11" and 13"? 

• Reply 46 of 60
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

Quote:

They have done it before. Announce something that will be available in two or three weeks.

I remember ordering the 17" MacBook Pro I'm typing this reply on in January '09.  I didn't get it until like March.

• Reply 47 of 60
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

I should add that I remember it started shipping in late February & I didn't get it until sometime in March. I believe this was at Apple's last Macworld.

• Reply 48 of 60
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    The point is that the entire mac line is due for a refresh and it is entirely unclear as to when, where, and how Apple will handle it. All I know is that it seems like it has been forever since something mac has been announced. Personally, I think whatever they do release will be either before or after WWDC, but obviously we don't know. I am pretty certain that the Mac Pro will be last out the door though, if at all.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Normally the minor updates are released a week or two before WWDC. That would be real soon now. If we see nothing then I expect some really impressive new products to replace what we currently have and that WWDC is where they will happen.

I really think Jonny I've was talking about the Mac Pros replacement when he mentioned what he is working on now as his most important work. I just see a new generation of computer coming.

I find it really interesting that WWDC sold out in two hours, maybe these developers have really big expectations!
    xgman wrote: »
    The point is that the entire mac line is due for a refresh and it is entirely unclear as to when, where, and how Apple will handle it. All I know is that it seems like it has been forever since something mac has been announced. Personally, I think whatever they do release will be either before or after WWDC, but obviously we don't know. I am pretty certain that the Mac Pro will be last out the door though, if at all.
  • Reply 50 of 60

Quote:

I really think Jonny Ive was talking about the Mac Pros replacement when he mentioned what he is working on now as his most important work. I just see a new generation of computer coming.

I don't think that quote refers to anything in particular. It's a reflection on the fact that he always feels that way when he's working on a new design, no matter what it is.

Don't get me wrong -- I pray daily that I will be able to replace my trusty Mac Pro 1,1 with something special, and soon. So I hope you're right!

• Reply 51 of 60
    xioniumxionium Posts: 9member

Quote:

"I remember ordering the 17" MacBook Pro I'm typing this reply on in January '09.  I didn't get it until like March."

Oh my WORD [lack of better words/phrases] dude!!! DONT SAY THAT. I will DIE if that happens. *flips my calendar back to Feb 2012 when my MBP ~2008 finally gave up the ghost when i dropped it in the bathroom in it's case* :( I better start preparing myself for that....

• Reply 52 of 60
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    They are working overtime to get everyone on mobile devices. The idea that they would spend one minute thinking how to get us to move back towards desktops goes entirely against the grain of Apples current path. The best we can hope for is Sandy Bridge in the same old case.
  • Reply 53 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

They are working overtime to get everyone on mobile devices. The idea that they would spend one minute thinking how to get us to move back towards desktops goes entirely against the grain of Apples current path.

Not really. Tablets will be the death of the laptop.

Desktops will remain (and get better) to fill in the rest.

• Reply 54 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

4.  Mountain Lion is a late summer release.  That could be September.  Would Apple let its hardware lines languish for Mountain Lion?  Again seems silly to me!

Exactly. They need the new hardware now to test 10.8 on it. WWDC is actually perfectly timed for that. The sooner they introduce the new machines into the wild, the more thorough the real-world testing they get from the developers and AppleSeed.

• Reply 55 of 60
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Has anyone pointed out that the appearance of the mass-market USB3 interface on the platform will likely obsolete every new Mac that doesn't have it?

Could this be the reason why we're seeing a convergence of almost all desktop and laptop machines being refreshed at close to the same time?

Isn't it really just that simple?

Apple is run by a supply channel guy now. He's not going to want a million USB2 machines on hand when the changeover starts to happen.

• Reply 56 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Has anyone pointed out that the appearance of the mass-market USB3 interface on the platform will likely obsolete every new Mac that doesn't have it?

No, because it really won't.

Quote:

Isn't it really just that simple?

No one needs their mouse to go faster.

• Reply 57 of 60
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, because it really won't.

No one needs their mouse to go faster.

I'm not arguing that USB3 is superior to Thunderbolt. I'm just saying that there is a world of USB3 peripherals that have been locked out of the Mac platform, and once USB3 appears on the Mac (assuming it does in this update) it will follow that all the products will get it, and everyone will hesitate to buy new Macs until they've been updated.

Thus it makes sense for Apple to have new revisions of both desktop and portable lines ready around the same time.

For instance, if the new iMac is released next week with USB3, would you run out and buy a new MacBook Pro that was USB2 only?

• Reply 58 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

For instance, if the new iMac is released next week with USB3, would you run out and buy a new MacBook Pro that was USB2 only?

Yeah, if I needed a laptop instead of a desktop. How is that even a question?

Your argument is flawed because this hasn't happened with PCs. You can't really argue that Apple users are more "tech-minded", because they're not. It's the same demographic pull as PC users, but simply on a smaller scale.

• Reply 59 of 60
    You would have to ask that question. Honestly I can't remember where I read the announcement and frankly saying something is available to order doesn't mean it is ready to ship. However given Apples position in the industry, if anybody where to get first deliveries or early access it would be Apple.

As a side note I was reading a copy of EDN that came across my desk today. There was an interesting blurb about TIs new chips to support Thunderbolt. It kinda highlights what I've said in the past, TB really doesn't compete with USB. TB is different enough that it should be considered completely different technology.

Wait, where?! Link?! That's awesome! How big, just 11" and 13"? 
  • Reply 60 of 60
    I see your position as rational. Frankly I'm one of those people that do try to make sure I'm getting the right value in hardware. If a machine doesn't implement TB at the same time as another it is pretty obvious that the hardware is antiquated with respect to newer machines and rip for a future update.
    frank777 wrote: »
    I'm not arguing that USB3 is superior to Thunderbolt. I'm just saying that there is a world of USB3 peripherals that have been locked out of the Mac platform, and once USB3 appears on the Mac (assuming it does in this update) it will follow that all the products will get it, and everyone will hesitate to buy new Macs until they've been updated.

Thus it makes sense for Apple to have new revisions of both desktop and portable lines ready around the same time.

Run out? Running out to buy something implies a pressing need. If you really need the machine running out may be the only solution you have. However do realize most people try to budget things like the Mac Pro or even MBPs, so given more rational buying behaviors I don't think holding off for an obviously coming update is an issue.

In any event if Apple did something like you suggest. That is implement USB3 on an iMac and not on a MBP, I do beleive they would fall into a sales regression on the MBP. So I tend to agree that we will be walking into WWDC and be buried under new hardware.