Aperture update brings minor fix to editing software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday rolled out version 3.2.4 of its Aperture photo editing and management software, patching a small bug that affects Macs running OS X Snow Leopard.

Following Wednesday's OS X Lion update that brought system-wide RAW support for six new digital cameras, Apple has released Aperture 3.2.4 to fix a minor issue with the program's viewer.

From the release notes:
What's New in Aperture 3.2.4

- Improves stability on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the Viewer from updating correctly after editing a photo using an external editor.
The latest iteration of Aperture comes in at 635.54MB and can be downloaded through Software Update, Apple's Support Download page and the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

635MB? Geez, let's get going with those incremental updates, please.

• Reply 2 of 15
    birdzeybirdzey Posts: 3member

I bet this will be the last update to Apeture 3. My money is on Apeture 4 (or X) at WWDC. Not that Apeture 3 is that bad, but Apple would definitly like to leap frog Adobe's Lightroom 4.

• Reply 3 of 15

"I bet this will be the last update to Apeture 3."

I agree with this but I don't think we'll see Aperture 4 until Mountain Lion is officially released, along with the next version of iWork & iLife.

• Reply 4 of 15
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdzey View Post

I bet this will be the last update to Apeture 3. My money is on Apeture 4 (or X) at WWDC. Not that Apeture 3 is that bad, but Apple would definitly like to leap frog Adobe's Lightroom 4.

Please dear God no - I've just managed to master about 1% of Aperture 3 - I can't cope with them changing anything at the moment!

I love Aperture.  I know a lot of people are worried as Apple go towards "Prosumer" instead of fully fledged (and expensive) Pro software, but Aperture for $79 was a steal for me, and it's such a sensible step up in capability from iPhoto, I think it's tremendous.

• Reply 5 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Update at WWDC? Let's see…

Mountain Lion, iOS 6, new iMac, new Mac Mini, new MacBook family, new Mac Pro…

And now Aperture 4?

I don't think so. image

There was a Mountain Lion backup update today, too, but that's probably not worth its own story.

• Reply 6 of 15
    birdzeybirdzey Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Update at WWDC? Let's see…

Mountain Lion, iOS 6, new iMac, new Mac Mini, new MacBook family, new Mac Pro…

And now Aperture 4?

I don't think so. image

There was a Mountain Lion backup update today, too, but that's probably not worth its own story.

Mountain Lion won't be released at WWDC, it will just be showcased, release window is late summer. Same for iOS, that will be most likely released along with the next iPhone in the early fall. So unless Apple is rocking hardware only surprises for the conference, I expect (would like) to see some software released. Aperture was released very early 2010. It would be nice to see something updated.

• Reply 7 of 15

Yes, but these are all potential talking points in the keynote, and the thing can only be two hours long.

We know iOS is going to monopolize virtually all of it, so the more time spent on hardware and applications, the less time spent on Mountain Lion…

• Reply 8 of 15
    jcollin3kjcollin3k Posts: 31member

I made the mistake of updating Aperture 3 a couple updates ago, the one that totally ruined straightening and cropping (if you straighten an image, and then crop it, the crop window shows the crooked image!!).  I had to hold my breath and do a Time Machine backup and a few other things to get back to the version that actually makes sense for cropping and straightening.  It would have been devastating to not be able to go back.  As a pro photographer I need to straight and crop nearly instantly when first going through images from a job, which up until two updates ago, Aperture 3 was great at.

So just like OS X, now with Aperture 3 I am stuck in the past.  I will not update to Lion as I do not want to lose the beauty of Expose, which of course in Snow Leopard I have to run a line of command code to make it act like it used to, which was different sized windows and none of them horribly framed in blue.  

Am I the only one who thinks every new software release of any Apple app and operating system has just gone down hill since about two years ago?  

• Reply 9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Am I the only one who thinks every new software release of any Apple app and operating system has just gone down hill since about two years ago?  

Yes. Seriously, this crap about not liking Lion is based on nothing but personal preference in virtually every case. I'm bothered that AirPort Utility doesn't have IPv6 support anymore, despite that not being crucial to anything I do. I'm bothered that… tanj, I'll think of it. 

Nothing is going downhill. Not yet, anyway*. They're transitioning from mouse+keyboard to multitouch, and so the UI and UX is going to change. They're fiddling around with features and changing how they work to try to create the best one they can.

*OH GOOD, YOU FOUND IT. I'M SO GLAD. DID YOU LIKE HOW I PUT THAT SENTENCE IN THERE? THAT'S CALLED HUMOR.

As far as Mission Control goes, hound Apple with bug requests telling them to bring back full window viewing. If something they remove is important enough to enough users, they'll bring it back. That goes for everything they do. Keep on their case, call them bugs or submit them as feature requests. Anything you can do to add features. If you actually fight for it, they might actually do something.

• Reply 10 of 15
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

I made the mistake of updating Aperture 3 a couple updates ago, the one that totally ruined straightening and cropping (if you straighten an image, and then crop it, the crop window shows the crooked image!!).  I had to hold my breath and do a Time Machine backup and a few other things to get back to the version that actually makes sense for cropping and straightening.  It would have been devastating to not be able to go back.  As a pro photographer I need to straight and crop nearly instantly when first going through images from a job, which up until two updates ago, Aperture 3 was great at.

Not only that, but if you have straightened and cropped the crop ratio randomly jumps out of unconstrained, which is the only way I want it ever,and into a ratio that resembles where it is.  So you move a side and the whole crop moves in a fixed, unwanted ratio until you realize that it's done it again.   Plus, sometimes after a straighten the crop tool won't let you move an independent side.  It acts frozen.  The solution is to move the whole crop one way and back in place which will unfreeze the sides.  I've spent way too much time dealing with those two issues alone over several updates. Yep, basic cropping and straightening in Aperture is still bug ridden.

• Reply 11 of 15
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member

Quote:

So just like OS X, now with Aperture 3 I am stuck in the past.  I will not update to Lion as I do not want to lose the beauty of Expose, which of course in Snow Leopard I have to run a line of command code to make it act like it used to, which was different sized windows and none of them horribly framed in blue.  

No there are some other people.

Personally I find the new style window view much better, and what Expose should have been all along --united with Spaces et al.

• Reply 12 of 15
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Quote:

I made the mistake of updating Aperture 3 a couple updates ago, the one that totally ruined straightening and cropping (if you straighten an image, and then crop it, the crop window shows the crooked image!!).  

That way you can see all of what is being cropped. Not a problem for me but if you like the previous way I guess it would be nice to have had the option of choosing it. 

I'm fine with Aperture but I find iPhoto slower to use than the previous version. (Love the new slideshows though). 

• Reply 13 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Not only that, but if you have straightened and cropped the crop ratio randomly jumps out of unconstrained, which is the only way I want it ever,and into a ratio that resembles where it is.  So you move a side and the whole crop moves in a fixed, unwanted ratio until you realize that it's done it again.   Plus, sometimes after a straighten the crop tool won't let you move an independent side.  It acts frozen.  The solution is to move the whole crop one way and back in place which will unfreeze the sides.  I've spent way too much time dealing with those two issues alone over several updates. Yep, basic cropping and straightening in Aperture is still bug ridden.

I use Aperture every day and my work flow is to use Aperture for what I find it best for then open in Photoshop CS6 from within Aperture with a right click to do what ever I need doing in Photoshop and when finished save. The modeified version is now added to the project in Aperture. BTW the new cropping methodology in CS6 is awesome.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I use Aperture every day and my work flow is to use Aperture for what I find it best for then open in Photoshop CS6 from within Aperture with a right click to do what ever I need doing in Photoshop and when finished save. The modeified version is now added to the project in Aperture. BTW the new cropping methodology in CS6 is awesome.

Right, that's what I do as well.  But I would be so much happier if I only had to convert to an external editor (with the added TIFF/PSD file) 25% of the time instead of nearly 100%.   Aperture's selective filtering via its brushes is far too limited and clumsy.  I've settled on using Aperture for getting the global tonality of the image right but not much else.  I'll be very happy if V4 brings it's selective tweaking closer in usefulness to what we turn to PS or even Elements for.  Obviously pixel editors are not the same as RAW DAMs, but most of Aperture's tools are like sidewalk chalk when I'm needing a fine tipped quill.

• Reply 15 of 15
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Right, that's what I do as well.  But I would be so much happier if I only had to convert to an external editor (with the added TIFF/PSD file) 25% of the time instead of nearly 100%.   Aperture's selective filtering via its brushes is far too limited and clumsy.  I've settled on using Aperture for getting the global tonality of the image right but not much else.  I'll be very happy if V4 brings it's selective tweaking closer in usefulness to what we turn to PS or even Elements for.  Obviously pixel editors are not the same as RAW DAMs, but most of Aperture's tools are like sidewalk chalk when I'm needing a fine tipped quill.

Ever since the release of Aperture it has been an imaging management software tool, not altering images. That might change might not. They added the tweaking with v3 which for some is enough and negates Photoshop. For others, Photoshop is still useful, next to Aperture. Just like Lightroom.