Former Apple employee claims Steve Jobs would have 'lost his mind' over Siri

Comments

• Reply 21 of 189
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

not only was steve jobs around when apple purchased siri, but he announced the phone that had the software and was very clear about it being beta.

just more apple-hating bullshit.

• Reply 22 of 189
    jayrodojayrodo Posts: 12member

Also, why have commercials about a Beta service? Do non technical people even understand what a Beta is?

Same thing confused me about the Nokia Lumia 900 ATT commericals where they say the smart phone Beta test is over, are they expecting people to know what they are talking about?

• Reply 23 of 189
    un_plugun_plug Posts: 25member

I'm tired of people saying "come on it's beta." The problem is Apple is not advertising it as beta, it is the highlight of their 4s ad campaign. While us Apple followers know, a bet you the average consumer has no idea it's a beta stage feature.

That said, even in beta stage I think it works great 95% of the time, and is a giant leap in voice recognition assistance.

• Reply 24 of 189
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I could careless about SERI. I would like to now why the hell I couldn't use my new iPad via he wall adapter when the batter has drained.

I took it back to the Apple store for a full refund on Lincoln Road on Miami Beach last month and the manager was more than willing to refund my credit card.

Apparently  this is a very hush, hush snafu on Apple's part.

or...

maybe you got a lemon (yes, it does happen with apple products, too);

and, maybe, apple has great customer service.

i had to replace a monitor because it had one pixel that was white. called apple, took it in. same problem with the replacement, but different pixel. after the second return, i was passed along to a manager who proceeded to tell me that he would replace my monitor and inspect it himself, that it would ship that same day—didn't need me to send the faulty monitor back right away. 

• Reply 25 of 189
    kalvinkalvin Posts: 11member
    Now I realise I haven't spoken to Siri for quite sometime. She probably left as felt abandoned.

On a serious note, I am still convinced Apple wanted to introduce the iPhone 5 last year but some hiccups in the supply chain put some pressure on them and forced them to release a beta version of something that could be a great thing - if not in beta.
  • Reply 26 of 189
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

not only was steve jobs around when apple purchased siri, but he announced the phone that had the software and was very clear about it being beta.

He was alive when they purchased the company and still alive during the announcement, but only by a day; and he certainly didn't announce it, Scott Forstall did at the 4th October 2011 event that Tim Cook introduced.  Steve died on the 5th.

• Reply 27 of 189
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Lost me after the 4th word of the title
  • Reply 28 of 189
    kalvinkalvin Posts: 11member
    jayrodo wrote: »
    Also, why have commercials about a Beta service? Do non technical people even understand what a Beta is?

Same thing confused me about the Nokia Lumia 900 ATT commericals where they say the smart phone Beta test is over, are they expecting people to know what they are talking about?

I might be mistaken, but Siri was only introduced to the wider public when the iPhone 4S was launched on 4 October. Steve did not attend the keynote.
  • Reply 29 of 189
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member

I don't know about others but "my" Siri understands me perfectly well almost all the time. Putting the gazpacho on ice was not a problem. :-)

IMG_7634.PNG

• Reply 30 of 189
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

I'd like to see some of the complainers actually talk to Siri. I don't remember ever seeing a Siri ad that promotes the ability to understand speech impediments. Ive never had a problem with it and I really only use it when Im drunk

• Reply 31 of 189

Steve Jobs would have lost his mind over a product he authorized to ship? Sure. Like he lost his mind over the hockey puck mouse or Mac cube? Siri works now better than it did when it first came out and back then it probably worked better than when Jobs make the decision to label it a beta and ship it.

What would drive Steve Jobs nuts is people posthumously using his name to booster their credibility. He's gone. Let it go.

• Reply 32 of 189
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member

Siri is beta? How long was GMail "beta"? (Don't bother asking Siri - I'll give you the answer ... over 5 years).

Beta doesn't mean bad. It just means not final.

If it was an Alpha release ... then there'd be issues.

• Reply 33 of 189
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

I'd like to see some of the complainers actually talk to Siri. I don't remember ever seeing a Siri ad that promotes the ability to understand speech impediments. Ive never had a problem with it and I really only use it when Im drunk

So you use Siri all the time?...

j/k

• Reply 34 of 189
    jayrodojayrodo Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

It's not always recognition, it's also the speed at which requests are answered. The commercials make it seem instant, but in reality that isn't the case. Plus there are always times when Siri is really sorry about this and can't take any requests right now.

• Reply 35 of 189
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member

I have to agree that I am disappointed in Siri...  I have asked it for the formula for anti-gravity and it just keeps directing me to web sites that deal with elemental particles and neutrino mass calculations.... such a failure....  

:-)   

• Reply 36 of 189
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

I guess there's little point in mentioning that 95% of the time Siri works just fine for me, but I don't ask it to find "funky" names of locations, songs, etc. that I know it would be hard to understand. I must be in the minority. 

Works great for me as well. As I stated in some other post, seems to be getting better and better. Hell I mumble a lot and it still understands me.  

• Reply 37 of 189
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayrodo View Post

It's not always recognition, it's also the speed at which requests are answered. The commercials make it seem instant, but in reality that isn't the case. Plus there are always times when Siri is really sorry about this and can't take any requests right now.

If you're on a fast network, it can be almost instant. I've experienced this at work while connected through WiFi.

• Reply 38 of 189
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

i think the translation aspect of siri is pretty good, or at least better than the competing options out there from google. 

I disagree. Google understands my speech better in both Spanish and English. Siri of course does not speak Spanish. Problem is neither of them understand me when I mix the two languages which is quite often necessary when living in California with all the Spanish names of places and things. Also in Spanish, quite frequently there is no Spanish word for many modern English nouns so you use the English word instead which is usually spoken without an accent. Both technologies fail miserably in this context. Voice recognition has advanced about 1% from where it was 10 years ago and is miles from where it needs to be to actually be useful. Who wants to repeat themselves twenty times before giving up when the whole point of voice recognition is to simplify common tasks.

• Reply 39 of 189
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

I don't know about others but "my" Siri understands me perfectly well almost all the time. Putting the gazpacho on ice was not a problem. :-)

This would make a fun poll. Invariably for me, Siri flubs this particular line, whether speaking slowly (with or without clear breaks between words) or normally. Some of its more common misinterpretations are:

"Remind me to put the guess Bacho on ice in an hour"

"Remind me to put the dispatch on Icenhower"

"Remind me to put the guest spot show on ice in an hour"

• Reply 40 of 189
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member

This whole thing is just fluff. Why would Jobs buy Siri, if he didn't want it used exactly the way it's being used?

Now, I do think Apple was foolish for allowing those Ads to portray a level of intelligence that just isn't there.

I am very surprised they haven't been sued over it.

Don't get me wrong... Siri is great. It's just not the all knowing female HAL-9000 that its made out to be.