Apple pushes out iOS 5.1.1 update revision for GSM iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released a second version of iOS 5.1.1 designed for the GSM iPhone 4, though it failed to comment on what changes had been made to the mobile operating system or why it only affects one specific iPhone model.

As noted in a tweet by iPhone hacker iH8sn0w, build number 9B208 is an iPhone 4 (GSM)-only version of iOS 5.1.1 that was quietly pushed out without explanation after reportedly being compiled on Thursday morning, reports The Next Web.

The original iOS 5.1.1 update was released on May 7 and brought various improvements including fixes for HDR photo and AirPlay video bugs.

iPhone 4 owners on GSM networks can download the over-the-air update via iPhone's Software Update found in the settings menu or by physically connecting the handset to iTunes.

Earlier today, the latest untethered Absinthe v2.0 jailbreak was made available, though it is unlikely that the iOS re-release is somehow related.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Must be a cellular radio related fix I would guess?  

• Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    My AT&T iPhone 4 says it's up to date. I wonder if it simply isn't available for GSM iPhone 4's at this time or if it's only for certain GSM iPhone 4's.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    roogieroogie Posts: 3member

Not available to my iPhone 4 AT&T, says I'm current OTA and in iTunes.

• Reply 4 of 28
    My AT&T iPhone 4 shows up to date.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

Looks like they will continue to sign both iOS 5.1.1 builds, 9B206 and 9B208. I have the former and neither iTunes nor Software Update on my iPhone 4S allow me to "upgrade" to 9B208, the one that was released yesterday. They had two builds of another iOS version before. 9A405 and 9A406. I don't remember that it mattered before, so could it be that Apple is just trying something out? That would be some co-incidence, though, but they do happen.

• Reply 6 of 28
    tmhiseytmhisey Posts: 49member
    Same here, no update available for either AT&T iPhone 4 that I have.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    No update available for our UK IPhone 4s (plural) OTA here either.

Edit: iPhone capitalised "iPhone", what?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member

My iPhone 4 (AT&T) in system stats says [ system build 9B206 ] but also says software is up to date...

• Reply 9 of 28
    Nothing showing for my dads iPhone 4 via the software update settings just now in the uk.
  • Reply 10 of 28

• Reply 11 of 28
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by not1lost View Post

As I looked up my system build I looked over my system log and found this -[ I highlighted in red ] does this mean that AT&T is "Throttling my internet access?" (this is just a small part of a very long log...)

No.

• Reply 12 of 28

Thanks!

• Reply 13 of 28
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Must be a cellular radio related fix I would guess?  

Actually perhaps not. According to my sources, the previous update wiped the diags reporting that the techs use when trying to figure out what's up with your phone. Crash logs and such. So this might be a quiet change to not do that since it makes it look like your software is fine when perhaps it's not and they could be swapping hardware that was not faulty (which gets expensive after a few 10s of thousands of times)

• Reply 14 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My AT&T iPhone 4 says it's up to date. I wonder if it simply isn't available for GSM iPhone 4's at this time or if it's only for certain GSM iPhone 4's.

It's not likely to report on a phone that already has 5.1.1 on it. They did a revision of the 5.0.1 as I recall and it didn't show either. If you did the OTA last time there's not a version of 5.1.1 on your computer, if you did restore it might trigger a download of the new software. 

• Reply 15 of 28
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member

I don't know where you are, but my speed with AT&T on my 4S is quite acceptable. It's typically anywhere between 1-5Mbps in my area. 

• Reply 16 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I don't know where you are, but my speed with AT&T on my 4S is quite acceptable. It's typically anywhere between 1-5Mbps in my area. 

My speed runs about the same... I was just looking through my log files with my "System Status" App and noticed it said "Throttled" in a few places; didn't know what it meant, but from all the talk about being throttled I thought it might be that... I used to be with Verizon and my speed and all service with AT&T is MUCH better here in the midwest.

• Reply 17 of 28
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Here it is:

Direct link

• Reply 18 of 28

Unfortunately, this new rerelease 5.1.1 does kill the new Absinthe jailbreak, the iDevices will get an error upon reboot and go into recovery mode. Even the Absinthe 2.0.1 jailbreak will not work on this renewed 5.1.1. :( So those who have jailbreaked with 5.1.1 (old version) do not upgrade to this new reposted 5.1.1.

• Reply 19 of 28
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGeek Pro View Post

Unfortunately, this new rerelease 5.1.1 does kill the new Absinthe jailbreak, the iDevices will get an error upon reboot and go into recovery mode. Even the Absinthe 2.0.1 jailbreak will not work on this renewed 5.1.1. :( So those who have jailbreaked with 5.1.1 (old version) do not upgrade to this new reposted 5.1.1.

Thank you.  I came here to post that information as well.

I am not a fan of jailbreaking but for those who aren't using jailbreaking for illegal piracy I believe they should be able to jailbreak should they choose to do so.

I encourage everyone to place a feature request with Apple so jailbreaking is no longer necessary:

Gatekeeper for iOS

Assign Default App to designate the default app for specific functions (calendar, contacts, mail, etc.)

• Reply 20 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Thank you.  I came here to post that information as well.

I am not a fan of jailbreaking but for those who aren't using jailbreaking for illegal piracy I believe they should be able to jailbreak should they choose to do so.

I encourage everyone to place a feature request with Apple so jailbreaking is no longer necessary:

.)

1. Apple has zero obligation to avoid breaking jailbreaks. Same as supporting devices with software failures or even software controlled hardware failures after you jailbreak. 

2. for every previously only by jailbreak feature that Apple adds there will be another new feature that folks well say make jail breaking necessary