Samsung argues 4G Galaxy Tab not in direct competition with Apple's 3G iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Considering how much Samsung copies Apple, did they totally miss the fact that the new iPad can be had with 4G LTE? Are they saying their tablet can only barely compete with last year's iPad?

No they didn't miss it. This suit was filed when the iPad 2 was the iPad released. The new iPad hasn't been added to the case so what it can do is moot. 

That said, a difference in cellular tech really isn't a difference at all. Which is why that argument won't likely fly in the end. And even if by some weird chance it does fly Apple will just file a motion to have the new iPad added to the suit or file a new suit just to irritate Samsung a bit more

• Reply 62 of 124
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

This doesn't have much to do with this story, but I was standing in HMV by the 'Tablet' section and there were these kids trying out some Samsung and Sony tablets. All I heard were frustrated groans and 'this iPad is shit!'

Made my day.

shouldn't make your day that they are thinking of all tablets as iPads. What should make your day is to hear them say they would rather have an iPad. 

• Reply 63 of 124
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    "They have golden arcs, we have golden arcs... The are McDONNALD'S, we are McDOWELL'S"
  • Reply 64 of 124
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
  • Reply 65 of 124
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Yet the Galaxy Note sold 5 million in 5 months at $249, with a 5.4 screen and.........a stylus, oh the horror. Your "assumptions" are just that.

your "assumption" that a clearly stated "opinion" is an "assumption" goes to show what your "opinion" is worth.

Everyone I know with an Android tablet or phone are either Apple haters or went the cheap option and regret it.

Im looking forward to a larger screen on the next iPhone but 5.4 inch is ridiculous. I "assume" theres quite a few people who regret the purchase

• Reply 66 of 124
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

...My opinion of why Android is so popular is because telephone companies push it. Cheaper phones, less subsidy. ..

How do you define "pushing'? In my opinion giving a higher subsidy is pushing the phone (that would be the iPhone in the US).

• Reply 67 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nikon133 wrote: »

That is because 2 pieces of glass, approximately same size, always look alike. It is not that Samsung tablet doesn't look like iPad - it does; it is that such basic, minimalistic design shouldn't be patent-able. When you look at iPad from the front, there isn't much distinction there - save for home button (which Samsung doesn't have).

In my mind, question is: does Apple has exclusive rights on creating touchscreen tablet, or does it not. If not, then Apple should not have exclusive rights on flat glass surface. Major point of touchscreen device is that controls are "soft" - they appear on screen, as required; putting extra buttons only for sake of differentiation is silly at best. Or making it thicker than current technology actually demands. Or pretty much anything else Apple sarcastically recommended Samsung to do, some time ago, in order to differentiate.

That's BS and exactly the kind of rationalization I was referring to. Before, it was 'Apple can't own a rectangle' and now it's "2 pieces if glass always look alike". There are many, many ways to make a tablet - as seen by the wide variety before Apple released the iPad. There's no rational reason why the Tab is so similar to the iPad that even Samsung's lawyers couldn't tell the difference - except blatant copying.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    geoadm wrote: »
    your "assumption" that a clearly stated "opinion" is an "assumption" goes to show what your "opinion" is worth.
    Everyone I know with an Android tablet or phone are either Apple haters or went the cheap option and regret it.
    Im looking forward to a larger screen on the next iPhone but 5.4 inch is ridiculous. I "assume" theres quite a few people who regret the purchase

Your ignorance is evident. Have fun using things because of what other people say about them. The world needs followers, not everyone can lead.
  • Reply 69 of 124
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's BS and exactly the kind of rationalization I was referring to. Before, it was 'Apple can't own a rectangle' and now it's "2 pieces if glass always look alike". There are many, many ways to make a tablet - as seen by the wide variety before Apple released the iPad. There's no rational reason why the Tab is so similar to the iPad that even Samsung's lawyers couldn't tell the difference - except blatant copying.

I love the lawyer thing you continue to bring up. At the distance they observed I could hold up a picture frame with a black sheet of paper and they wouldn't be able to tell. As soon as they were turned on the story was a little different. Bottom line, NOTHING is going to happen. NOTHING has happened. After months and months of court battles, Samsung will be on the Tab 3 Apple will sue again, then after months and months of litigation Samsung will be on the Tab 4 ect, ect, ect.
  • Reply 70 of 124
    drdoppio wrote: »
    How do you define "pushing'? In my opinion giving a higher subsidy is pushing the phone (that would be the iPhone in the US).

Shhhhhhh, he thinks his opinion is fact.
  • Reply 71 of 124

The only ads you see for Apple products in Australia are Apple ads. HTC, Motorola and Samsung phones are all on the ads by telephone companies. The place I used to work were upgrading their phones and were told Android phones far better and more powerful than iPhones and were given the whole spill on cpu/memory ect. That confused them so they called me, I told them to use a Android phone before buying one, they ended getting iPhones.

• Reply 72 of 124

Quote:

Your ignorance is evident. Have fun using things because of what other people say about them. The world needs followers, not everyone can lead.

I have used Android, hence the reason I know its crap although arguing with you seems a bit pointless.

• Reply 73 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

No it ain't.

Given that it looks far less like a rip-off the MacBook Pro than the one I posted, it's the wrong one to sue about, at least. image

• Reply 74 of 124
    hellacool wrote: »
    I love the lawyer thing you continue to bring up. At the distance they observed I could hold up a picture frame with a black sheet of paper and they wouldn't be able to tell. As soon as they were turned on the story was a little different. Bottom line, NOTHING is going to happen. NOTHING has happened. After months and months of court battles, Samsung will be on the Tab 3 Apple will sue again, then after months and months of litigation Samsung will be on the Tab 4 ect, ect, ect.

And I love your rationalization. It was 10 feet - not some huge distance.

I'm not talking about the legal matters - they will go on for years, although Apple just won a major battle at the appeals level.

The point is that any rational person can look at the Tab, the iPad, and all the tablets that preceded the iPad and see that the Tab was an intentional, blatant attempt to copy the iPad as much as possible.
  • Reply 75 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

For Joe Average, "customization", "boot loaders", ROMS, and all that other nonsense is completely trumped by ease of use, and breadth and depth of the Apple ecosystem. Given *choice*, *ability* (to pay) and *availability*, consumers are looking for Apple gear.

I agree with this, but I am struck with how well Android phones are selling.  They sell in huge numbers.

How can this be explained, given that what you say is true?

• Reply 76 of 124
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    For Joe Average, "customization", "boot loaders", ROMS, and all that other nonsense is completely trumped by ease of use, and breadth and depth of the Apple ecosystem. Given *choice*, *ability* (to pay) and *availability*, consumers are looking for Apple gear.

Today's iPhone reported that over 1.2 million iOS users have jailbroken their devices. So, apparently, a not insignificant number of iOS users want to customize their devce as well. Could we please stop the stereotyping?

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/05/more-than-1-2-million-ios-devices-jailbroken-using-absinthe-2-0/
  • Reply 77 of 124
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

I agree with this, but I am struck with how well Android phones are selling.  They sell in huge numbers.

How can this be explained, given that what you say is true?

Very simple. 

Universally license (it's free, anyway), flood the market, whore your OS out to anyone who can slam together a box, offer a ton of of models at all sorts of price points (it amounts to what, hundreds? taking all Android phones into account), and so on. And in countries without carrier subsidies, Android phones are cheaper by far.

Further, Apple doesn't cater to the "I just want a cheap, simple phone" crowd. The Apple experience *must* be the same across the board. And the 3GS is only a single model. 

What are the classic barriers in retail for the highest level of User Experience? Price. Availability. And very slim, very focused product lineups. This can be conducive to record sales, but it is not optimal for dominant market share. The iPhone is not an iPod. 

It's the classic Microsoftian-OEM business model that supports Android. Great for quick, inflated market share, lousy for the end-to-end experience.

For example, Windows sells in huge numbers as well, thanks to the business model just mentioned. But would you trade in your Mac running OS X for a $500 Dell with some version of Windows on it? Probably not. But don't forget also, that the cost of entry into the Mac end of the Apple ecosystem (not including the Mini) is at least $1000. There are plenty of folks who probably want Macs, but the bottom end of the retail pyramid is much, much wider than the top. Apple doesn't compete, nor wants to compete in certain spaces. 

So all of these considerations play into the reasons for the market share that Android smartphones enjoy today. 

• Reply 78 of 124
    derekmorr wrote: »
    Today's iPhone reported that over 1.2 million iOS users have jailbroken their devices. So, apparently, a not insignificant number of iOS users want to customize their devce as well. Could we please stop the stereotyping?
    http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/05/more-than-1-2-million-ios-devices-jailbroken-using-absinthe-2-0/

Even if you accept those numbers (which I am very skeptical of), that's well under 1% of iPhones - hardly a very impressive number.
  • Reply 79 of 124
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Yet the Galaxy Note sold 5 million in 5 months at $249, with a 5.4 screen and.........a stylus, oh the horror. Your "assumptions" are just that.

Provide actuals facts, by way of a cite/evidence (and not for "shipped units" or some bogus estimates put out by consulting firms, please). Otherwise, zip it.

• Reply 80 of 124
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

That isn't a lot. At all.