RIM to cut 40% of workforce as another top exec resigns

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The operant term here is "nearly went bankrupt". If SJ hadn't come back with Next, they MAY have gone bankrupt, but they didn't. Can we point to anyone, and to ant product that will turn this around, given the rapid deterioration of their market? Apple was never in that position.

Yes nearly went bankrupt and cut thousands of jobs in 1996 just like RIM is doing now. I think it would be a great thing if RIM could reinvent themselves and make a come back. 

Although I can't say I liked the Blackberry when my work gave me one but it did do a couple things nicely. Their new OS looks quite decent.

• Reply 22 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    If they had the right management it's possible they can still bring themselves back just like Apple once did.

I doubt it very much. The situations are very different. RIM is rapidly losing sales. Apple's sales had dropped slowly.

But the biggest difference is that the computer industry is more forgiving in that it moved much more slowly. Today, the cell industry is moving very rapidly. By the time the new BB10 phone, the "London" comes out near the end of the year, if it does, it will likely be too late. From the BB trade show recently, it was noted that the new OS and apps were not anywhere near being completed. It's being questioned whether it will be ready this year at all.

With sales faltering, they may not have enough interest left by the time the product comes out, and it will be deficient in apps and in other areas when it does. The fact that they dropped two of the three models is bad. Playbook sales don't seem to have significantly risen either.

They just don't seem to have the time.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yes nearly went bankrupt and cut thousands of jobs in 1996 just like RIM is doing now. I think it would be a great thing if RIM could reinvent themselves and make a come back. 

Although I can't say I liked the Blackberry when my work gave me one but it did do a couple things nicely. Their new OS looks quite decent.

I guess you will have to read the rest of my posts here, but they don't have the time. Apple had the time.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If they had the right management it's possible they can still bring themselves back just like Apple once did.

What you're talking about is RiM actually innovating, having successful marketing and having management that knows how to get all the pieces working together so they can be competitive again. That's not at all what you stated initially.

I hope they can come back but I see no avenue that will allow them to succeed in the consumer handset business moving forward. Even Nokia and MS have good HW and a mobile OS but even they aren't having much luck. RiM isn't even close to their competency.
  • Reply 25 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt it very much. The situations are very different. RIM is rapidly losing sales. Apple's sales had dropped slowly.

But the biggest difference is that the computer industry is more forgiving in that it moved much more slowly. Today, the cell industry is moving very rapidly. By the time the new BB10 phone, the "London" comes out near the end of the year, if it does, it will likely be too late. From the BB trade shoe recently, it was noted that the new OS and apps were not anywhere near being completed. It's being questioned whether it will be ready this year at all.

With sales faltering, they may not have enough interest left by the time the product comes out, and it will be deficient in apps and in other areas when it does. The fact that they dropped two of the three models is bad. Playbook sales don't seem to have significantly risen either.

They just don't seem to have the time.

You sure? From what I read they had a healthy business with 26.9% market for the first ten months of 1995 then it went bad.

• Reply 26 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    melgross wrote: »
    I guess you will have to read the rest of my posts here, but they don't have the time. Apple had the time.

And to make the comparison accurate RiM will have to branch out into a new market with a new product that they can slowly build off of whilst slowly rebuilding their handset market, much like the way Apple did with the iPod. I don't see any opportunity for that on the horizon.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

You sure? From what I read they had a healthy business with 26.9% market for the first ten months of 1995 then it went bad.

Who, Apple? I don't think Apple ever had anywhere near a quarter of the market. Not even in the Apple ][ days.

• Reply 28 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who, Apple? I don't think Apple ever had anywhere near a quarter of the market. Not even in the Apple ][ days.

Ahh you are correct, I read the article wrong, they had a sales increase of 26.9%. I stand corrected.

• Reply 29 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I'm sure all the people recently out of a job will appreciate your wonderful post. Companies falling like this is never a good thing and does nothing to make the industry better.

Unfortunately, creative destruction is at the heart of capitalism, and capitalism is at the heart of wealth creation.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Here's an existential musing for you: If no one's buying their crap, can they really be considered a competitor?

++++

A powerful statement made with great economy!
  • Reply 31 of 78
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I don't get why everyone on here is so delighted to see a company doing badly. Grow up.

• Reply 32 of 78
    Sure it would be nice if they could become viable again. The probability is extremely low though.

Well before rumors of an Apple phone came to light I looked at the various smart phones out there at the time. For the life of me I could never grasp why people would even want to carry a RIM device around with them. Basically RIMs phones had none of the features I really needed and those features where delivered in a grossly dysfunctional box. At the time I just got the cheapest cell phone available.

Today, Apple has rebooted the entire cell phone market. They deliver the type of functionality that people really want, can make use of easily and is an all around good performer.

Interestingly I'm not thrilled at loosing yet another OS to Android and IOS. RIM in their mad rush to compete with Apple bought up a real time OS that frankly the world could make use of. The reality is this though, it is far better for RIM to fail right now and see this OS come back to the world free of the trouble RIM has caused.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't get why everyone on here is so delighted to see a company doing badly. Grow up.

I don't get why you're not delighted to see stagnation be forced out.

• Reply 34 of 78
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

++++

A powerful statement made with great economy!

Wow, you have a pretty low bar!

• Reply 35 of 78
    richl wrote: »

Grow Up?

This is what business is all about. Either you solve your customers needs and desires or you fail. I don't think anyone here is expressing delight at RIMs fall, what we are saying is that the company has run its course.

Locally the big yellow box (Kodak) has fallen on very hard times. No one is delighted to see the condition the company is in, however we realize that film has run its course as a consumer good. People that realize the gravy train is over at Kodak can successfully move on to other occupations, start new businesses or in other ways move on. For Rochester we have been able to handle the resultant influx of workers because every body understands the need to move on.

The point is RIMs failure can be a success for many in the same way that the many that have left Kodak left for better pasture. It is all about attititude, recognize what is happening and you can take the actions required to move on.
  • Reply 36 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

maybe not in Canada (a place not widely known for innovation)

What kind of a BS statement is this?

I suggest you do some reading with current textbooks mate; per-capita Canada preforms just as well when it comes to innovation as any other country.

Although I could care less what happens to RIM, just do not marginalize Canada with bullshit that you pull out of thin air.

• Reply 37 of 78

Wow, you have a pretty low bar!

Not at all! The statement pretty much hit upon the root issue here. That is if nobody is buying your crap then your business will fail. For this forum it was a well stated post.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Where do you see any posts like this?

Most seem to be implying it is about time they go away but I don't see anyone saying they are glad/happy about people going out of work or even that they are happy that the company is failing.

• Reply 39 of 78
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Faceberry, blackbook, FBRiM... just testing how the words sound...

• Reply 40 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

*Patiently waiting for a Steve Jobs type to come along and save RIM* . . . 

I have a feeling we'll still be waiting long, long after RIM is gone. 

RIM on their very best day, was never, ever like Apple. There was never any resemblance. 

Don't use Apple as an example that is representative of, or that can be applied to the rest of the industry. It can't. Steve Jobs and Apple were a once-in-a-lifetime case.