RIM to cut 40% of workforce as another top exec resigns

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

*Patiently waiting for a Steve Jobs type to come along and save RIM* . . . 

I have a feeling we'll still be waiting long, long after RIM is gone. 

RIM on their very best day, was never, ever like Apple. There was never any resemblance. 

Don't use Apple as an example that is representative of, or that can be applied to the rest of the industry. It can't. Steve Jobs and Apple were a once-in-a-lifetime case. 

Oh please, once in a life time?? The Blackberry was once the default option for any company that wanted their staff to have mobile email access. 

• Reply 42 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Oh please, once in a life time?? The Blackberry was once the default option for any company that wanted their staff to have mobile email access. 

I don't see how that changes anything. RIM has been circling the drain for a while now, and quite frankly, they'll get no sympathy from me, nor do they deserve any. They did this all to themselves. 

I don't really care what happens to them. People are laid off every day. People find work every day. So what. Their products are outdated junk that brings no innovation to the table. While it might be tragic that that might cause consumers to overlook *planned* innovations from the company, it might already be too late anyway. Life goes on. 

No one here is happy that people will lose their jobs. But that isn't the focus of this conversation. The focus is the all at once sad, pathetic and hilarious story of RIM's downfall. This is irrespective of lost jobs. If you would like to make the conversation about something else, go right ahead, but that's typically not how things work in this kind of analysis. Take it or leave it. 

So what is the point you're trying to make in the mass of what appears to be your deliberately contrarian posts on an Apple-centric site? 

• Reply 43 of 78

RIM is laying off people in sales and marketing, that's a really bad sign. Layoffs also in "operations" likely means customer service, so things are very grim at the home office and in the field. A year ago I read the open letter written to management. What send a cold chill down my spine was the description of how chaotic things were in R & D. I think that's where RIM lost it's future, so this present should be no surprise. 

When the lawyers leave, you know there is no blood left to suck. RIM is a zombie lurching around unaware it's dead.

• Reply 44 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

They should do what everyone else does. Make an app for iOS. One that connects to their BB enterprise communication services.

• Reply 45 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

RIM is circling the drain, as many of us predicted.

• Reply 46 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't get why everyone on here is so delighted to see a company doing badly. Grow up.

It is because BlackBerry users used to make fun  of the iPhone.  And iPhone users.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, and it shows we were right all along.  That is why we are happy.  

• Reply 47 of 78
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Perhaps RIM could branch out into TVs. No wait...

• Reply 48 of 78
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

There is a shortage of skilled software developers in Canada right now. Any one with decent skills are being snapped up quickly. My employer has been interviewing for weeks, and all of the good candidates are sitting on a few offers by the time they see us. RIM does have a lot of good talent, I wouldn't be worried about those with useable skills.

The best and brightest employees are typically amongst the first to leave. After all, they have the intelligence to see that the ship is sinking and they have the greatest ability to "pursue other opportunities."

At RIM, surely there is a highly qualified group of individuals who are waving their arms, "Pick me! Pick me!" in a desperate chance to get laid off with some sort of severance package. The smart ones who do not will probably quit on their own.

This is the later stages of the game for RIM management. You have to worry about employee attrition as much as losing sales. HP -- with plenty of cash -- went through this with their bungled Palm/webOS acquisition. They bled talent faster than anything else. Even if HP wanted to revive the webOS platform today, most of the core engineers are long gone.

Soon RIM will cross that threshold. Without innovative new products in the pipeline, they will cross that point very quickly.

• Reply 49 of 78

To think I lost my job at Juniper Networks Australian 2008 because I purchased an iphone 3g instead of using the company supplied blackberry pearl that was an absolute piece of crap. I was told by IT management that RIM had superior security I always thought it was odd to see technical staff using blackberry's with ipod touches.

The problem is there are too many incompentents in management at the top that are too slow to make changes.  i thought blackberry would have been at this stage in 2010, so maybe I am too ahead of the curve.

I never thought Blackberry was a smartphone.  It really was a dumb phone all along. I was previously a Palm user before the iphone, and the lack of software updates and quality control with hardware, was what gave me the premonition about Blackberry.

• Reply 50 of 78

To think I lost my job at Juniper Networks Australian 2008 because I purchased an iphone 3g instead of using the company supplied blackberry pearl that was an absolute piece of crap. I was told by IT management that RIM had superior security I always thought it was odd to see technical staff using blackberry's with ipod touches.

The problem is there are too many incompentents in management at the top that are too slow to make changes.  i thought blackberry would have been at this stage in 2010, so maybe I am too ahead of the curve.

I never thought Blackberry was a smartphone.  It really was a dumb phone all along. I was previously a Palm user before the iphone, and the lack of software updates and quality control with hardware, was what gave me the premonition about Blackberry.

• Reply 51 of 78
    mikepromikepro Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually companies failing like this are a very good thing. You can't concern yourself with the employees, finding work is their business. Just imagine how much better off the world would be if GM and Chrysler had gone under. We might actually have business in Detroit innovating with respect to transportation. Instead we have the same old corporations invested with bad unions and zero innovation.

Your perspective here is totally screwed, this is exactly what business needs right now. It effectively frees up a great deal of talent that has be squandered by RIM and allows that talent to seed innovation elsewhere. Frankly you need to research your position a bit.

Oh my god, you have no idea what you are talking about. Simply reiterating some right wing talking point you heard on the radio or TV, hmm? You have NO idea  of the economic damage that would have been done had one or more of the Big Three gone under. You also have no idea about the innovation and research these companies are doing.

Frankly, you need to research your position a lot.

• Reply 52 of 78
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

40%?!

OMFG!

• Reply 53 of 78
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    mstone wrote: »
    They should do what everyone else does. Make an app for iOS. One that connects to their BB enterprise communication services.

I don't think that will work either. I believe RIM should get rid of all their phones and build just one phone. They should start a new certification program for third party phones, tablets (iPad), and computers that meet certain OS and HW security requirements and let them access their services and servers. They need to open up their services to third party since their HW business is not working. Maybe work a deal with Apple and others to have BB services built-in the OS
  • Reply 54 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's an existential musing for you: If no one's buying their crap, can they really be considered a competitor?

if a bear poops in the woods and there's no one to smell it, does it have an odor

• Reply 55 of 78
    sunspot42sunspot42 Posts: 93member

Dell's the next to go down the drain.  I give it about another year before people start to realize they're equally doomed. Like RIM, their business model is totally outdated.  They're being crushed by Apple from above in the consumer PC business, and by HP and Lenovo from below.  And with overall PC spending stagnant at best as business and consumers rush to buy mobile devices - where Dell has zero presence - all they have left is their patchy services organization.  There too, Dell's an also-ran compared to HP and IBM.

• Reply 56 of 78
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Dell's the next to go down the drain.  I give it about another year before people start to realize they're equally doomed. Like RIM, their business model is totally outdated.  They're being crushed by Apple from above in the consumer PC business, and by HP and Lenovo from below.  And with overall PC spending stagnant at best as business and consumers rush to buy mobile devices - where Dell has zero presence - all they have left is their patchy services organization.  There too, Dell's an also-ran compared to HP and IBM.

lol I love some of the comments on this site! Do some research before posting something so silly

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/earnings/earnings.asp?ticker=DELL:US

• Reply 57 of 78
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    Reaearch In Peace
  • Reply 58 of 78
    peruna88peruna88 Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The problem is that often when a large iconic business files, nothing rises up to take its place in that same local. There is no guarantee that if RIM fails, as it looks likely, that something else will replace it. Most likely, nothing will.

But that already has happened with Apple and Android taking over their market share. RIM had a nice run, and they were the first true smartphone but the iPhone and it is Android copycats blew them out of the water. If they are still around in 2-3 years it will be a miracle. 

• Reply 59 of 78
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Unfortunately, creative destruction is at the heart of capitalism, and capitalism is at the heart of wealth creation.

Wealth accumulation. Capitalism doesn't create wealth, it's just a vehicle for its concentration, which can be a useful thing, to an extent.

• Reply 60 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    lol I love some of the comments on this site! Do some research before posting something so silly

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/earnings/earnings.asp?ticker=DELL:US

Funny. So Dell's profit has declined in recent quarters and it's only the projections that show their profit recovering. Note that they've had several earnings misses in recent years.

One could look at the overall history. Dell was gaining market share, growing, and increasing profits up to about 2004. Their market share peaked in 2006 at 19%. They're now down to 12% and still falling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell

While there's no guarantee that Dell is going anywhere, their recent history is not particularly promising.