Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Samsung on Tuesday launched its flagship Galaxy S III smartphone in 28 countries across Europe and the Middle East, where it will compete head-to-head with Apple's iPhone 4S.

The Galaxy S III launched Tuesday in a number of countries across the region, including the U.K. and Germany. By the end of July, Samsung expects to have the Galaxy S III available in 145 countries on 296 wireless operators.

No official indication has been given as to when Samsung plans to launch the Galaxy S III in the U.S., but various rumors have pointed toward a launch in mid-to-late June.

Samsung boasted on Tuesday that the Galaxy S III has already become the most-preordered Android handset ever at carrier Vodafone U.K.

A report from Reuters on Tuesday compared the launch of Samsung's latest smartphone to an Apple product debut. It noted that about 50 customers were lined up outside of a BASE mobile phone shop in Berlin on Monday.

Hype for the Galaxy S III has been significant as the device is expected to outsell its predecessor, the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. The Galaxy lineup has been comprised of Samsung's flagship Android smartphones, designed to take on Apple's market-leading iPhone.

Galaxy

The launch of the Galaxy S III comes months before Apple is expected to launch its sixth-generation iPhone. Rumors have pegged the next iPhone to launch this October, a full year after its predecessor, the iPhone 4S.

Samsung unveiled the quad-core Galaxy S III earlier this month. It features a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen, a 1.4-gigahertz processor, one gigabyte of RAM, and available capacities of 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes.

Last week, Samsung officials deflected criticism of the design of the new handset, stating that its look and feel was not changed due to litigation from Apple. Samsung currently faces a number of patent infringement suits from Apple that accuse the company of copying the design of the iPhone and iPad in its own products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Still can't get over how fugly it is. 

• Reply 2 of 85

Wait, its released in the UK already?

I've seen a grand total of one television advert where the SIII had a very brief stint (we're talking 5 seconds of air time) and maybe two paper posters. If this is supposed to be Samsung's biggest and baddest phone to date then they're being very lax on the advertising. Maybe they're taking the Commodore Computer approach and just letting word of mouth do the advertising (and we all know how that ended).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Maybe its the "Samsung copying everything" bug that is still in my system talking, but the first thing that came to mind when I looked at that picture was "iPod Touch 2nd Gen".

Also, if the third iteration is "designed for humans", were the other two designs for genetically modified cow people or something? (aka: that tag line makes no donkey-boffing-sense what-so-ever!)

• Reply 3 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Wait, its released in the UK already?

I've seen a grand total of one television advert where the SIII had a very brief stint (we're talking 5 seconds of air time) and maybe two paper posters. If this is supposed to be Samsung's biggest and baddest phone to date then they're being very lax on the advertising. Maybe they're taking the Commodore Computer approach and just letting word of mouth do the advertising (and we all know how that ended).

Maybe its the "Samsung copying everything" bug that is still in my system talking, but the first thing that came to mind when I looked at that picture was "iPod Touch 2nd Gen".

Also, if the third iteration is "designed for humans", were the other two designs for genetically modified cow people or something? (aka: that tag line makes no donkey-boffing-sense what-so-ever!)

How about that "inspired by nature" line?  image

• Reply 4 of 85
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member

It looks like Samsung is starting the old specs game again, and unfortunately, people are sensitive for that. I remember well when in the '90's Apple used PowerPC chips with much lower frequencies than most PCs with Intel chips, yet the Apple computers were as powerful as the PCs. But almost everybody stared themselves blind at the numbers. Where as other manufacturers (Samsung) have to install tons of GHz and GB to make up for losses in firmware and software that is not their own, Apple has the same answer as it had then: they build both hardware and software and the result is a highly integrated product that seamlessly fits in Apples existing ecosystem. This is what is important for me. 

• Reply 5 of 85
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

"I have a confession to make. When I first laid eyes on the Samsung Galaxy S3, I thought the design was unappealing and uninspired. I felt that the styling was a bit dated; akin to a slight upgrade of the Nexus One. From the initial launch invitation which featured marble white and blue blobs, I expected something more raw, more edgy. I was expecting a fusion of liquid metal and styling from Verizon’s iconic Droid campaigns. I was expecting to be impressed, to be blown to pieces with something completely revolutionary.

Honestly, I am in love. It was love at first touch, and all preconceived notions I had about the S3 design have melted away, and been replaced by pure technological bliss and delight.

Getting the device for the first time, I find myself in a perpetual state of what can only be described as ‘eureka moments’. The whole ‘inspired by nature’ talk began to make sense. It’s a design that works perfectly.  Quite simply, the design of the Samsung Galaxy S3 is a breath of fresh air in the midst of sharp and edgy ubiquitous mobile design."

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-review-video-89883/

This is from a representative of the Android community.  The group that refers to Apple customers as "iSheep" under the influence of the "Reality Distortion Field." 

• Reply 6 of 85
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

I dont think its ugly, I just dont think its gorgeous either.  Either way its not impressive enough to make me switch from my 4S.

While I appreciate the competition & motivation that the Android OS and its manufacters (especially Samsung) have provided to Apple and its iPhone, it still seems like a bunch of spec whoring.  Apple competitors still dont understand the attraction to Apple.. comes from the user experience, elegance of its devices and that if they are easy to use & "just work" then people could care less about specs.  I have just two gripes about my 4S & 4 that I've used for almost two years now.  The screen is definitely too small screen and I need the faster 4G/LTE connection.  Make an iPhone5 with a bigger screen & LTE and I'll pre-order it for full price today.  

• Reply 7 of 85
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

"Amateur Hour is Over" had already been taken and that's all they had left...

• Reply 8 of 85
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

I too thought it looked like the iPod touch.  They really can't come up with their own ideas.

• Reply 9 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

.  I have just two gripes about my 4S & 4 that I've used for almost two years now.  The screen is definitely too small screen and I need the faster 4G/LTE connection.  Make an iPhone5 with a bigger screen & LTE and I'll pre-order it for full price today.  

The screen on the iPhone was designed so that all parts of it are accessable  using one hand.  If it were any bigger, than that would not be possible.

And it fits in your pocket.  Any bigger, and it would be inconveniently large.

4G is not yet ready for prime time.  The coverage is spotty.  Lots of countries don't even have it yet.  

Apple stuff just works.  Huge phones with 4G do  not.

• Reply 10 of 85
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report from Reuters on Tuesday compared the launch of Samsung's latest smartphone to an Apple product debut. It noted that about 50 customers were lined up outside of a BASE mobile phone shop in Berlin on Monday.

Hype for the Galaxy S III has been significant as the device is expected to outsell its predecessor, the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. The Galaxy lineup has been comprised of Samsung's flagship Android smartphones, designed to take on Apple's market-leading iPhone.

50 people. even the first Verizon launch for the iPhone had more folks at the stores than that. 

Also were those 20 million sales to end users or the channel. Samsung has been caught pulling that trick before. 

oh and 'months ahead'. 3 months, 4 tops. Hardly the ages and ages that the tone of the article implies. And even with a 4 month lead, the iPhone could still trample this phone. 

Quote:

Amazing that a phone that took all it's design cues from the iPhone 4 series and the iPod touch could turn out so blah looking. 

Samsung needs to focus on finding a new source of inspiration and on making the best Android phone possible. Beat that group and they might have a shot at coming close to the iPhone in terms of actual sales to users and activations that stick around beyond 2 weeks. 

• Reply 11 of 85
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

oh and 'months ahead'. 3 months, 4 tops. Hardly the ages and ages that the tone of the article implies. And even with a 4 month lead, the iPhone will still trample this phone. 

There... fixed that for you.

• Reply 12 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

It looks like Samsung is starting the old specs game again, and unfortunately, people are sensitive for that.

I think folks are starting to get off that. The older folks that are of the computer generation perhaps not as quickly but the kiddies want the games, the cool factor etc. They want what Zooey has cause she's cute and perky and so adorably twee. Or what Samuel L "I want to play some MF Angry Birds on my MF iPhone" Jackson has cause he's the bomb. Businesses like the whole "1 OS to support" and how Apple will work with them to get their in house apps going. And it goes hurt when they walk in to shop for those devices and see Apple running their own show off a fleet of iPod touches, iPhones and iPads. Or how they made an app that lets you page for help or even ring out accessories to yourself. And what you use at work or even school can carry over to choices when you need to replace the home equipment so it's all good. Folks are thinking about 'what can it do' and 'how will i get help' over the QXZ rating or what the MORP factor or whatever other sounds like nonsense spec is being tossed around. 

• Reply 13 of 85
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

The screen on the iPhone was designed so that all parts of it are accessable  using one hand.  If it were any bigger, than that would not be possible.

And it fits in your pocket.  Any bigger, and it would be inconveniently large.

4G is not yet ready for prime time.  The coverage is spotty.  Lots of countries don't even have it yet.  

Apple stuff just works.  Huge phones with 4G do  not.

I disagree.  They could make the phone is almost the same overall size factor, with a bigger 4" screen, simply by using a thinner bezel.  The phone doesnt have to be "inconveniently large".

4G is already primetime, why do you think Apple has already introduced a 4G iPad?  4G is currently available in every major US city.  Outside of that fact, Verizon already has 2/3rds of the US covered and is still bringing cities online, AT&T is getting close to 1/2, Sprint & Tmobile have just started bringing major cities online now.  Coverage will never be exactly 100%, you cant wait forever for that.  There are still vast sections of America without 3G coverage, you'd literally be waiting forever for 4G to hit those place.

• Reply 14 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There... fixed that for you.

I"m not a stock analyst so I don't make firm statements about what will happen. But yes, it is very very possible you are correct. 

Then again, given how much it looks like a flattened iPhone it might not release in a few places due to Apple calling foul on the design. I mean that metal on the outside was sooooo an Apple thing (remember all the crap they got about it) that Samsung would have been idiots to follow it unless they wanted folks to think "iPhone but better cause it's 4 inches" blah blah. A blind man could see that they were 'inspired by' Apple on that one. And as has been pointed out several times in all that crap Apple got, that move was neither obvious or essential so Samsung won't be able to fall back on those claims

• Reply 15 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

4G is already primetime, why do you think Apple has already introduced a 4G iPad?  

I disagree about 4g being primetime. the iPad isn't generally a constant connection so you really can't use it to judge the feelings about 4g being ready because it isn't likely stressing the system much if at all. Perhaps a summer of folks traveling around when they are more likely to turn on the 4g on their iPads will give us that data to judge but right now I don't think it's there

• Reply 16 of 85
    charlituna wrote: »
    Amazing that a phone that took all it's design cues from the iPhone 4 series and the iPod touch could turn out so blah looking. 

"There can't be two handsets more different when it comes to their appearance than the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4S." - PhoneArena

Honestly, have you seen the phone at all?
  • Reply 17 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Of course all the techie sites are drooling over this phone, one site saying the phone is light years ahead of the iPhone. And people complain about Apple hype and Apple fanboys/isheep. :lol:
  • Reply 18 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Also were those 20 million sales to end users or the channel. Samsung has been caught pulling that trick before. 

It's actually even more subtle than that. It's 'preorders', not sales. Preorders can be canceled. Furthermore, think about Sprint's decision to purchase 20 M iPhones over 4 years. The way Samsung is tallying things, that would have counted as a 20 M unit sales day since Sprint agreed to buy them at some time in the future.

With any of the Android numbers, there's far too much obfuscation going on. Let's wait for real sales figures.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    jragosta wrote: »

No, it's not preorders. The Galaxy S II has been out for a year now, they're sales.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    thilothilo Posts: 2member

Quote:

How about that "inspired by nature" line?  image

Referring to something like this, I suppose: http://www.natureandmore.com/products/apple