Purported iOS 6 screenshots claim to show Apple's new Maps app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple is not a web business. 95% chance for no web version. 

Really... What is iCoud then?

I know it isn't web specific... just saying.

• Reply 22 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    My question is: Will Apple's maps come with iOS 6 or the 6th gen iPhone?
  • Reply 23 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

I could see them adding a web maps app to iCloud. After all, "Find my iPhone" is driven purely by Google Maps. Why would they continue to use Google anywhere when they have their own mapping service?

• Reply 24 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My question is: Will Apple's maps come with iOS 6 or the 6th gen iPhone?

There won't be any hardware reason to keep it on the next iPhone, and there's certainly no reason to think Apple wants to keep around Google services.

Plus, think about it. If it was only going to be on the next iPhone, these pictures would be not only of unreleased software, but of the next iPhone. That's the bigger story here. No way would they just take pictures of the software.

It'll likely be a feature of iOS 6 on all devices that support it. iOS 5 devices will have to stick with Google services.

We'll know for certain if they talk about it at all at WWDC. They won't even acknowledge its existence if it's a hardware-specific feature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I could see them adding a web maps app to iCloud. After all, "Find my iPhone" is driven purely by Google Maps. Why would they continue to use Google anywhere when they have their own mapping service?

Sure, but I wouldn't think it would be usable for anything but that. Apple doesn't presently have an iCloud.com Maps application.

• Reply 25 of 44
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

I'd be worried about how good the local data would be. The ability for Google Maps on a mobile device to pinpoint my location in a second, then after I type 'sushi' find me dinner within walking distance is amazingly useful. 

• Reply 26 of 44
    There won't be any hardware reason to keep it on the next iPhone, and there's certainly no reason to think Apple wants to keep around Google services.

I think it will be an iOS 6 feature but I can think of HW reasons that they'd require the new iPhone. The 3D modeling, for instance.
  • Reply 27 of 44

Quote:

I think it will be an iOS 6 feature but I can think of HW reasons that they'd require the new iPhone. The 3D modeling, for instance.

The next iPhone won't have any chip not already in an existing iDevice. Do you think Apple would pull an nVidia and rebrand the A5X "A6", claiming the iPad line can't handle it?

• Reply 28 of 44
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Don't mind maps now as is- but im confident apple will improve it even further.

I want one change that will make me happy: include an option to disallow toll roads. I hate when the three suggested routes are: toll road A, toll road B and city streets. I just want to hop on the regular highway please.

• Reply 29 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    ... street view does not work at all unless you install Flash.  This is extra dumb because of course it works on iOS without flash and actually works faster.  

I agree. Also because I don't have Flash installed on my Mac. So much nicer web experience for me.
    alexmit wrote: »
    Really... What is iCoud then?
    I know it isn't web specific... just saying.

True, but the whole point of iCloud is that all devices are in sync. It was never designed to be a web-based service, in terms of html, or 'browser-like' experience.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member

Nokia Maps launched Mobile HTML5 version of Maps for iOS, Android and any other mobile device running HTML5 browser

http://api.maps.nokia.com/en/mobile/

• Reply 31 of 44
    The next iPhone won't have any chip not already in an existing iDevice. Do you think Apple would pull an nVidia and rebrand the A5X "A6", claiming the iPad line can't handle it?
    The iPhone 4S has the EarSmart tech that wasn't in the previous iDevices. I don't see why Apple would add new secret HW for several years before actually turning them on.
  • Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

The iPhone 4S has the EarSmart tech that wasn't in the previous iDevices. I don't see why Apple would add new secret HW for several years before actually turning them on.

They did it with 802.11n. 

And did that EarSmart tech review well? I mean, was there an appreciable difference in products with it from earlier ones?

• Reply 33 of 44
    They did it with 802.11n.

That isn't the same thing. They included the 802.1n HW but didn't have drivers for it. Remember that 802.11n was a kerfuffle, to put it lightly.

What you're suggesting is that they would add HW for an app, not just because there was no available driver, and sit on that HW for 3 years so that when they do activate it they can add it to all the devices that can get the latest iOS version. There is no such history of that with Apple.

I personally think that the new maps will come with iOS 6 with the caveat that perhaps the 3D modelling might not be available in all devices getting iOS 6. If you haven't seen Nokia's map site using C3 tech that Apple bought even on my MBP it's slow, hence my concern that this feature, specifically, might not be available for something like the 2010 iPhone 4.
    And did that EarSmart tech review well? I mean, was there an appreciable difference in products with it from earlier ones?
    I certainly don't think it's effective but my knowledge of it is limited and it's hard to imagine Apple hasn't vetted the tech before using. All I know is that while on the phone something so far away that I don't even notice comes across as unbelievably loud to someone on the other end. If it's reducing background noise I certainly couldn't tell a difference over previous iPhones and it certainly could be better.

• Reply 34 of 44

Quote:

…sit on that HW for 3 years so that when they do activate it they can add it to all the devices that can get the latest iOS version.

Wait, three years? What're we talking about, again? You've lost me…

• Reply 35 of 44
    Wait, three years? What're we talking about, again? You've lost me…

You stated "The next iPhone won't have any chip not already in an existing iDevice." iOS updates typically have covered 3 years of releases so if you think there won't be any new HW in the new iPhone that isn't already in the previous iPhones for an OS feature the option seems to be that you think they are sitting on a hidden HW feature for 3 years.
  • Reply 36 of 44

Quote:

You stated "The next iPhone won't have any chip not already in an existing iDevice." iOS updates typically have covered 3 years of releases so if you think there won't be any new HW in the new iPhone that isn't already in the previous iPhones for an OS feature the option seems to be that you think they are sitting on a hidden HW feature for 3 years.

Oh, you know what I mean! image

Unless Apple drops a bombshell and punches out the A6 early, the 6th iPhone is going to have an A5X (CHIP), just like the 3rd iPad, and possibly even with reduced graphics capability. If the next iPhone can do it, there'd be no excuse for the current iPad to do it.

• Reply 37 of 44
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

A number of streets in my area have gone one way since Google mapped the area but trying to get them to update their directions is crazy.  If we users could sign up to be mappers for the system we could make those updates ourselves. We could correct crap driving directions that send you 5 blocks out of the way or block off directions that go on streets that are closed for construction. And it could be done faster than Google's cars. I would even happily go out and take photos of the fronts of businesses for 'street view' stuff (I'm opposed to the inclusion of private homes so I would skip over those)

You've been able to submit fixes using Google's desktop version of Maps for a few years. For more intensive edits, you can use Map Maker - http://www.google.com/mapmaker. We've done quite a bit of crowd-sourced edits in my town, and they get added to Google's maps fairly quickly.

• Reply 38 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I agree. Also because I don't have Flash installed on my Mac. So much nicer web experience for me.

Really? What happens when you land on a page that has Flash? Doesn't the browser alert you to install the required plugin? I use Click to Flash or Flash Block on Chrome which I am starting to prefer.

• Reply 39 of 44

I have to say I think maps in iOS is by far my least favorite feature. I find it very unintuative and think it requires far too much interaction with the application to get from point a to point b using it. I do actually favor the Android implemantation of navigation directions that comes with the phone. I know that 3rd party apps can do it well, but I really dont wanna spend money on a better navigation app i just want the one in the phone to be better hihi so fingers crossed this is actually an improvement :)

• Reply 40 of 44
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Boy Genius and Trusted Source?  Thought oil and water don't mix.