Apple television announcement expected to precede launch by 2-6 months

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is likely to provide developers with a head-start to create software for its new television before it becomes available for consumers to purchase, according to a new analysis.

Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets noted on Tuesday that the first iPhone was announced in January of 2007 but didn't launch until June of that year. Similarly, the first iPad was unveiled in January of 2010, but didn't hit the market until April.

Since the initial versions of both the iPhone and iPad, new hardware launches one to two weeks after it is unveiled. But with the first version, Apple gave itself months of time between the announcement of the product and its arrival on the market.

In his note to investors, White said he expects the Apple television announcement to precede the launch of the final product by as few as two months, and as much as six months. He told investors to "keep in mind" that Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference is only two weeks away, but did not provide any indication that he thinks an Apple television will be announced at WWDC 2012.

White's note was issued in response to a report from out of the Far East on Monday that claimed production of the first Apple television prototypes has begun. The Chinese news website Sina reported that an Apple television is in the "trial production stage" at Foxconn, Apple's overseas manufacturing partner.

HDTV

The report added that the full-fledged television set features an aluminum casing, iOS, Siri voice controls, and a forward-facing camera for FaceTime video chat. That report offered no date on a potential launch, only stating that it was rumored to debut later this year, but could arrive as late as 2014.

White said if Apple could capture 2 percent of the LCD TV market, it would represent $10 billion in sales for the company. He sees that adding between $1.50 and $2.00 in earnings per share for Apple.

White also noted that China is the largest LCD TV market in the world, with over 20 percent global market share. Apple does not currently sell its Apple TV set-top box in China, which means Apple could be preparing to enter a new market.

Topeka Capital Markets has a 12- month price target of $1,111.00 for AAPL stock. The firm has maintained its "buy" rating for investors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Won't it be hilarious when this thing comes with the current Apple TV's interface?

And then Apple's left to wonder just why it's not selling and why the few people who do buy it hate it so much.

• Reply 2 of 86
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Is this news? Some analyst says some vague BS about nothing?

• Reply 3 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Won't it be hilarious when this thing comes with the current Apple TV's interface?

And then Apple's left to wonder just why it's not selling and why the few people who do buy it hate it so much.

Wrong, I own two Apple TVs and they are awesome.

• Reply 4 of 86
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you just being a jerk? Why exactly would that be funny?

The Apple TV has an interface specifically designed for iTunes content, with a few other content apps on the side. Given Apple's history of being better than any other company at designing interfaces functionally appropriate for the devices they're intended to run on, I'd have to wager they will design a new interface for a TV set.

• Reply 5 of 86

Quote:

Yeah, hilarious In a "pigs might fly" kinda way. I.e. never gonna happen.

• Reply 6 of 86
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member

Someone still needs to answer me what content I will get on this Apple HDTV that will not be provided to me on my current 3rd generation Apple TV. And the true videophiles care more about picture quality than whatever brand sells the TV. No new content deals, specifically subscriptions = flop.

• Reply 7 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Wrong, I own two Apple TVs and they are awesome.

Yes! What you can do with them is pretty dang awesome. How you do it isn't. The last UI was better than the current one, and it was terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Are you just being a jerk? Why exactly would that be funny?

Because the idea of selling a television is a terrible idea. If you're going to fail, at least fail catastrophically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Yeah, hilarious In a "pigs might fly" kinda way. I.e. never gonna happen.

What isn't, the port of the Apple TV interface or the HDTV entirely? :placeholder_for_broken_wink_emoticon:

• Reply 8 of 86
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member

I love my Apple TV, I have 2 of them. But I never use the user interface, I find it too clunky. 

What I use it for is AirPlay - Mirroring from iPads is wonderful, my wife uses it all the time, and playing YouTube from the app is the simplest navigation ever. 

• Reply 9 of 86

Dagamer34 NAILED it! Content is king.

I already have a nice 55" Samsung that's only 3 years old. As big an Apple whore as I am, a sexy new case won't seal the deal for me.

I really like my new AppleTV, but am frustrated at the general lack of content right now. That would all change if I woke up one day to find a new AMC icon on the home screen, along with the ability to subscribe to this upcoming last season of Breaking Bad...

• Reply 10 of 86
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member

1) Apple doesn't need to prepare developers for the release of a TV.

• Reply 11 of 86
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Here's a shot in the dark: You won't sell any in Europe. They're kinda preoccupied at the moment. I'd seriously consider putting this thing on hold until things stabilize. Apple should focus on proven products for now.
  • Reply 12 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Here's a shot in the dark: You won't sell any in Europe. They're kinda preoccupied at the moment. I'd seriously consider putting this thing on hold until things stabilize. Apple should focus on proven products for now.

Apple had record consecutive quarters through the entire recession.

• Reply 13 of 86
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member

The assumption behind the article is that the primary unique-selling-point of the iTV is 3rd party apps.

This assumption is, I think, completely wrong.

I strongly suspect that the iTV will be a platform for selling (channel-based) TV content. Not iOS applications.

Like any new platform, there will be hard work needed to get this off the ground. But in this case that hard work won't be about getting developers on board.  The hard work will be agreeing deals with content vendors.

C.

• Reply 14 of 86
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member

Quote:

Agreed. I was seriously disappointed with the UI when I bought my first AppleTV a few weeks back.  Specifically:

- Getting content from the iMac is segregated and basically doesn't seem to show up without fiddling each time.

- I can't customize the interface to only show content I'm interested in. - For example, I've no idea what MLB is but I don't care.

- Finding YouTube videos takes forever due to lame typing method - BT Keyboard?, iOS interface app or the Remote should have had a scroll wheel (as per iPods). 

Clearly it got the same UI guy that thought the puck was a clever idea.  

• Reply 15 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have to quickly scroll past all the articles about TVs because I cannot stand to look at that Hugh Laurie image any longer. Besides that is certainly not what the hardware will look like anyway. In some ways I actually liked the old style forum better before Kasper's automated slave bothered to post the images.

• Reply 16 of 86
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member

1) Apple doesn't need to prepare developers for the release of a TV.  They need to open the API and that is all.  We already have a device that can run iOS apps on our TVs.

2) Developers are going to be all over this once they can write iOS apps for the TV.  Regardless of whether they are for the current AppleTV or some new hardware.  Unleash the power of the developer just like they have on the iPhone and iPad (and iPod)

3) The apps are going to be AMAZING.  So compelling that content creators won't be able to ignore this new distribution method they have been handed.

4) Apple will shape the market in a way that FORCES the unholy marriage between studios/content/distribution to adapt.  You're not going to win the battle today by holding off on releasing a TV until you can pry content away from the current distribution model.  It will never happen unless there is a "disruptive" change in the market.  Apple needs to create that change.

This is similar to the correct decision Apple made in not supporting flash.  The world is now a better place for it (even though we still have a long way to go).

Back to the original point though… Apple can do this today once the API is ready.  They don't need to prepare developers for the release of an actual TV.  Just the presence of the API is going to get the flying into action.

• Reply 17 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Just because Europe cannot get it's self in order when it comes to spending and debt; does not mean the rest of the world should not enjoy new products.

• Reply 18 of 86
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The assumption behind the article is that the primary unique-selling-point of the iTV is 3rd party apps.

This assumption is, I think, completely wrong.

Some Apps which exist for iOS that would make the AppleTV useful:

- BBC iPlayer

- 4OD

- itvPlayer

- Catchup TV

- Crackle

- LoveFilm

et cetra...

All third party apps that could (I assume) easily be ported to iOS for TV.  

• Reply 19 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have to quickly scroll past all the articles about TVs because I cannot stand to look at that Hugh Laurie image any longer. 

hugh1.png

• Reply 20 of 86
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    We asked around our office if any would consider buying a TV with a camera in it.
    Almost all hated the idea and some were frightened of the idea citing privacy concerns.

A TV capable of monitoring your movement and turning on - and being remotely accessable is reason for concern. Regardless of if they advertise it as potential home security - i dont think consumers want a product cabable of watching them.

I will be surprised if it comes with a camera. Even more so if it incorporates the camera capable of viewing through the screen (we saw a patent for that a few uears ago).