Alleged next-gen iPhone part shows aluminum back, smaller dock connector

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    The next-gen iPhone could featured a ALON® Optical Ceramic back!
  • Reply 62 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Very, very disappointing to me.  
    I can't see at the moment why on earth I would buy one of these things.  
    how do you know this is what we'll see on store shelves?
  • Reply 63 of 164
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is no way for you two to know if it's on the outside again. There are multiple antennas on the iPhone. Only the iPhone 4 had the WiFi and Bluetooth antenna on the outside, the iPhone 4S brought the antenna back inside where it actually worked better over its predecessor according to Anand Tech..

Good to know. So if the screen is glass, why does the back have to be radio transparent? Can't the signal go through the front?

• Reply 64 of 164

That black one does look nice, but that two-tone metal & plastic design reminds me of every ugly sweater I owned in the 1990s.

• Reply 65 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If so, it could be that they're finally going to use Liquidmetal. It would be much easier to make raised letter with Liquidmetal than with machined aluminum.

From the view of the internal side of the case the tool makings suggest that the case is machined, not LiquidMetal.

• Reply 66 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Is there any chance that the mini dock connector could actually be a thunderbolt port? My guess is not because the electronics to support a thunderbolt port would be more than a small mobile device could support but I can still imagine the possibilities. One thing I would love to do with an iOS is use the port for a wired ethernet connection for maximum bandwidth and/or security. Thunderbolt would allow this along with direct connection to an external monitor or high speed storage. It would make it possible to plug any iOS device into a super dock which would really blur the line between mobile devices and portable computers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I really hope the new dock connector size rumor is wrong. I just bought a bunch of iPod/iPhone cables and also am buying a new car this fall. This last-second notice is not enough time for the manufacturer to change their built-in iPod connectors to the new size. Switching would be (I fear) an expensive retrofit.

It will be a USB micro-AB port to comply with:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-hardware/2009/10/26/universal-phone-charger-given-green-light-39838579/

It may also do other dedicated things in a proprietary Apple way when it dectects certain accessories (e.g. video out, etc), but it will certainly be micro-USB form factor.

• Reply 67 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Good to know. So if the screen is glass, why does the back have to be radio transparent? Can't the signal go through the front?

Can it? Usually they are placed as close to the outside as possible and the touchscreen matrix and display do have power running through them that I'd think would affect RF. That said, there is no reason why they can't have found new solutions that do work better and Apple has a long history of making it work better, but that doesn't mean I won't question how they might have accomplished it.

393In addition, the 4S locates the WiFi antenna in the same place as the CDMA iPhone 4. If you missed it back then, and have read the previous cellular connectivity section, you’re probably wondering where the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas went, given the absence of a stainless steel band for them. The answer is inside, printed on a flex board, like virtually everyone else does for their cellular antennas. It’s noted on the FCC-submitted schematic, but I also opened up the 4S I purchased and grabbed a picture.
  • Reply 68 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop of Southwark View Post

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-hardware/2009/10/26/universal-phone-charger-given-green-light-39838579/

It may also do other dedicated things in a proprietary Apple way when it dectects certain accessories (e.g. video out, etc), but it will certainly be micro-USB form factor.

Does the new ITU standard have anything to do with the phone end of the cord or just the charger and the charger end of the cord?

• Reply 69 of 164

Quote:

Can it? Usually they are placed as close to the outside as possible and the touchscreen matrix and display do have power running through them that I'd think would affect RF. That said, there is no reason why they can't have found new solutions that do work better and Apple has a long history of making it work better, but that doesn't mean I won't question how they might have accomplished it.

There is 10 mm or so at the top and bottom of the phone where there is no touch screen.

• Reply 70 of 164
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Who Knows... but if the overall design does end up looking this (mildly) evolutionary, as in just an elongated version of the current theme, it'll just serve as further evidence that Apple's design team appears to have few truly new ideas on the horizon.

It should be a big star shaped device with topaz and crazy cool little sparkly knobs and a big ol button. That'd be sick, dawg.

• Reply 71 of 164
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

If this two colour thing is indeed more than just a design thing - the middle part does look a little like a touch pad. So they might add touch functionality to the back - no idea what this could add, but if, Apple will sure convince us in a blink we need it - and I'll for sure will buy it.

Edit> Maybe tap to fast forward/next entry/etc. double tap, etc.

• Reply 72 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the mini dock connector could actually be a thunderbolt port? My guess is not because the electronics to support a thunderbolt port would be more than a small mobile device could support but I can still imagine the possibilities. One thing I would love to do with an iOS is use the port for a wired ethernet connection for maximum bandwidth and/or security. Thunderbolt would allow this along with direct connection to an external monitor or high speed storage. It would make it possible to plug any iOS device into a super dock which would really blur the line between mobile devices and portable computers.
    Anand doesn't think so. I agree on the point of cost, limitations of the NAND speed and size but it's surely possible even though I don't think it's probable.

The goal is to reduce chargers. Perhaps one day they force us to reduce cables but you'd have to create a cable standard that would allow for all the various options that the USB standard doesn't allow but I don't see that happening.
  • Reply 73 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does the new ITU standard have anything to do with the phone end of the cord or just the charger and the charger end of the cord?

Device end is mandated to be microUSB.

A split/connection between the charger itself and the wire to the device is largely irrelevant.

Now, there is some argument about whether you could comply by having an adaptor that was local to the phone end. E.g. a cable terminates in microUSB and a small adaptor to a dock connecter (or anything else) next to the device, but this would certianly not be in the spirt of the regs, and many are arguing it would simply not be compatible with the regs at all (well, unless the adaptor could be left permanently and securely attached to the phone, and also offered a flush micro-USB connecter, not a tail end.

[You could NOT have just a 1inch/3cm cable and claim you were compliant. Well you could try, but quite apart from whether you would be compliant or not, you would be laughed out of town. It would compromise the idea that you don't need to carry the charger or have lots of them.]

• Reply 74 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

And Apple has received an exception to that.

• Reply 75 of 164
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Notes from an OCD designer: 1. The iSight camera flash and mic should have been in that order: O o . Not O . o 2.

If you want to avoid red-eyed pictures of people with flash you would need to separate the physical location of the flash and the lens as far away as possible. THAT is what a good designer would do, after understanding the reason for that fact. (wiki)
    mstone wrote: »
    I like the ear phone jack on the bottom because I normally keep my phone in my pocket face inward, upside down, that is when not using the ear phones. I like having the home button on top to grasp when taking it out of my pocket since I am often just checking the time and it just makes it easier that way. Now I can keep that preference even when listening to music since the jack will be facing upward as well.

Not only do I agree, I also don't understand why people would moan about a change like this. Haven't read anything on this when it was changed on iPod's (sans Classic + Shuffle).
    GrangerFX wrote: »

I would love for Apple to come up with a regular headphone jack shaped for their data connectors as one can plug those in without looking. I truly do not understand what is so hard to undertake this goal. The ease of use from a plug that 'fits in anytime' is so logical to me that I don't understand why Apple hasn't created one. It must be doable.
  • Reply 76 of 164

Quote:

The goal is to reduce chargers. Perhaps one day they force us to reduce cables but you'd have to create a cable standard that would allow for all the various options that the USB standard doesn't allow but I don't see that happening.

Europe mandates microUSB for device end:

http://phandroid.com/2009/06/30/microusb-becomes-european-standard-in-2010/

(first link I found, might replace with something better later, but it has a pretty picture).

*IF* the dock connector is ditched (and it is very bulky by todays standards), it will be for microUSB.

[Unless, apple does something really radical and remove connectors entirely and give you an inductive charging surface or somthing like that - a phone with no ports, bluetooth only headphones, etc.]

• Reply 77 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And Apple has received an exception to that.

But since then the ITU spec has moved on to include tablets, etc.

Whether they have exemption is irrelevant, they are not going to move to anything other than microUSB if they move.

As I said in previous post, it will be dock again, microUSB or nothing!

• Reply 78 of 164

Quote:

A split/connection between the charger itself and the wire to the device is largely irrelevant.

Now, there is some argument about whether you could comply by having an adaptor that was local to the phone end. E.g. a cable terminates in microUSB and a small adaptor to a dock connecter (or anything else) next to the device, but this would certianly not be in the spirt of the regs, and many are arguing it would simply not be compatible with the regs at all (well, unless the adaptor could be left permanently and securely attached to the phone, and also offered a flush micro-USB connecter, not a tail end.

[You could NOT have just a 1inch/3cm cable and claim you were compliant. Well you could try, but quite apart from whether you would be compliant or not, you would be laughed out of town. It would compromise the idea that you don't need to carry the charger or have lots of them.]

So I gather from this description that untethered wireless charging would also be non-compliant.

• Reply 79 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

But since then the ITU spec has moved on to include tablets, etc.

Whether they have exemption is irrelevant, they are not going to move to anything other than microUSB if they move.

As I said in previous post, it will be dock again, microUSB or nothing!

And Apple will receive an exception to that. Apple can do whatever they want, because no one should be forced to conform to something as idiotic as microUSB.

• Reply 80 of 164
    signalsignal Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Sure it will sell.  However, all Apple products have "boutique" built into them.  Heck I can remember Steve Jobs at a keynote saying the back of Apple's  monitors looks better than some of the competitors front!  Which shows Apple cares about it's vanity when it comes to their products.  Sure Apple isn't going to reinvent and redefine the rectangle.  However, the original iPhone-iPhone 3G-iPhone 4 ARE re-stylings of that rectangle all of which had to account for "thousands of factors".  When iPhone 4 came out it had a WOW factor because of its design.  Today, that WOW factor will turn into a WOAH factor if the soon to be released iPhone looks similar to the stylings of a phone released almost 3 years ago.

/

/

/

Yeah!  Apple should be more like Samsung, and make the new iPhone more like.... the iPhone!  There's your wow factor!

Samsung-galaxy-s2-vs-galaxy-s3-300x278.jpg