Tim Cook hints at closer cooperation between Apple, Facebook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook said in an interview to "stay tuned" for developments with Apple and Facebook, possibly hinting at plans for a closer partnership between the two companies.

Cook told journalist Walt Mossberg at All Things D's D10 conference in Ranchos Palos Verdes, Calif., that he thinks Apple's relationship with social networking service Facebook is "very solid."

?We have great respect for them. I think we can do more with them," he reportedly said.

When questioned whether he thought that Facebook was "onerous," a reference to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' opinion about Facebook's terms for his company's Ping music service, Cook replied that they have "their way of doing things."

Cook went on to note that some people would say the same thing about Apple. He added that just because two companies have strong points of view doesn't mean they can't work together. "Stay tuned," he said.

One possible avenue for further cooperation between Apple and Facebook is deeper integration of Facebook into iOS. Last year, Apple built rival social service Twitter into the system level of iOS 5. Hints of similar integration for Facebook were reportedly spotted within beta builds of iOS earlier this year.

Tim Cook at D10

In 2010, Apple and Facebook were said to have negotiated for 18 months over the Ping service before talks finally broke down. After Ping launched, Jobs reportedly invited Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg over for dinner to discuss the service.

Facebook raised $16 billion in its IPO earlier this month, but the company's stock has since fallen sharply.

Though Apple and Facebook maintain a "solid" relationship at the moment, the two companies could become competitors if rumors of an in-development Facebook phone are to be believed. Facebook has reportedly been hiring former Apple iPhone engineers to work on an in-house phone project that could end up challenging Apple and Google.

Visit AppleInsider's D10 archive for more of Cook's comments and ongoing coverage of the conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Cook was cagey about every answer and he was right to be cagey. I did not take his answer regarding Facebook to mean that there was actually any plan to do something, only that things "could be done". Frankly, with the beating FB's stock has been taking, they are soon going to be in a weaker position and they should be much more amenable to doing a deal with Apple.

• Reply 2 of 21
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Cook was cagey about every answer and he was right to be cagey. I did not take his answer regarding Facebook to mean that there was actually any plan to do something, only that things "could be done". Frankly, with the beating FB's stock has been taking, they are soon going to be in a weaker position and they should be much more amenable to doing a deal with Apple.

I worry that they want to be the new Android, but instead of stealing the tech they seem to be buying it.
  • Reply 3 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree with you. AI's headline is a bit of a stretch from what Tim said. Tim basically said that no doors were closed to Apple and FB from doing things to integrate social media into the iOS or the OSX.

• Reply 4 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I worry that they want to be the new Android, but instead of stealing the tech they seem to be buying it.

I don't worry because I have no invested money to lose with Facebook. 

• Reply 5 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If it comes down to buying companies (and Facebook clearly has no idea what it is doing as evidenced by their Instagram acquisition) then let the games begin. Facebook will overpay for everything because they are basically run by one person whose company was at the right place at the right time, Mark Zuckerberg. They would be smart if they underpaid for nimble, rapidly growing startups instead, overpaying is a sign of desperation and their stock plummet is showing signs that the market won't stand for underperformance and overpaying for companies.

• Reply 6 of 21
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Cook was cagey about every answer and he was right to be cagey.

It's been Apple's style for a while and I think that he was that way with this interview to show that that part of Apple has not changed. So folks thinking Apple was going to start spilling their plans all the time need to get over it

I did not take his answer regarding Facebook to mean that there was actually any plan to do something, only that things "could be done". 

I took it as basically saying that they aren't opposed and they are still willing to talk but nothing is firm. It could be just more of the same 'share to' stuff like they have in iPhoto, iMovie etc. Or it could be Apple helping Facebook clean up their iOS apps. the one on my iPhone crashes all the freaking time. It's sad. 

• Reply 7 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I took it as basically saying that they aren't opposed and they are still willing to talk but nothing is firm. It could be just more of the same 'share to' stuff like they have in iPhoto, iMovie etc. Or it could be Apple helping Facebook clean up their iOS apps. the one on my iPhone crashes all the freaking time. It's sad. 

IMO, Facebook will soon realize they need Apple more than Apple needs them.

• Reply 8 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Facebook has reportedly been hiring former Apple iPhone engineers to work on an in-house phone project that could end up challenging Apple and Google.

Yeah, but somewhere in the back of Zuck's brain, he knows Facebook can't out-iPhone the iPhone.

• Reply 9 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

While not as direct or illuminating as a couple of his other comments about the future his comments do make me think that iOS 6 will have Facebook integration in much the same way that iOS 5 has Twitter integration.
  • Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While not as direct or illuminating as a couple of his other comments about the future his comments do make me think that iOS 6 will have Facebook integration in much the same way that iOS 5 has Twitter integration.

Only about a week before we find out. Could get interesting.

• Reply 11 of 21
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Whatever they do, please just give me a Settings option to turn it all off.   

• Reply 12 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The current Facebook API for iOS is rubbish, the code is messy and they don't keep up with language changes. As a developer I would much rather have it as part of the OS. But as a user I would want it to not contact Facebook ever, unless I sign in (which I won't).

• Reply 13 of 21
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Whatever they do, please just give me a Settings option to turn it all off.   

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The current Facebook API for iOS is rubbish, the code is messy and they don't keep up with language changes. As a developer I would much rather have it as part of the OS. But as a user I would want it to not contact Facebook ever, unless I sign in (which I won't).

Totally agree with both of your posts.

If there really needs to be some kind of Facebook integration, please Apple, make a single "kill switch" the prevents any kind of information from EVER being sent to Facebook, period.  Not a crumb.  If this does not exist, I will not use your devices/OS, either personally or as a development platform.

From a product development standpoint, I'll happily take advantage of the integration if it's there, but I want nothing to do with it personally.

• Reply 14 of 21
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

FB? Seriously?

Apple could easily create it own social network. And you can imagine how good it could be. They have the tech, right.Screw FB!

• Reply 15 of 21
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

If it comes down to buying companies (and Facebook clearly has no idea what it is doing as evidenced by their Instagram acquisition) then let the games begin. Facebook will overpay for everything because they are basically run by one person whose company was at the right place at the right time, Mark Zuckerberg. They would be smart if they underpaid for nimble, rapidly growing startups instead, overpaying is a sign of desperation and their stock plummet is showing signs that the market won't stand for underperformance and overpaying for companies.

I agree. Facebook sure have the opportunity to become the "next Android" as they are sitting on a gold mine. My dealings with the company as a user and as former social app developer utilising their API's, shows management with a total lack of foresight/vision and a 'throw ideas and see what sticks attitude'. Which just won't get any company anywhere! Ha.

There is potential, but that Zuckerberg might have to get the axe.

I have said it before, but key to Apple's integrationwith Facebook, or with creating their own social network would be clear and simple opt-in information sharing, rather than the current opt-out model employed by Facebook.

• Reply 16 of 21
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    IMO, Facebook will soon realize they need Apple more than Apple needs them.

That doesn't seem to matter to people in this industry. There is a pretty solid history of forming partnerships which become very successful and then stabbing your partner in the back.

Look at Intel's subsidizing of Apple's competitors in the Ultrabook space, for example.
  • Reply 17 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That doesn't seem to matter to people in this industry. There is a pretty solid history of forming partnerships which become very successful and then stabbing your partner in the back.

Look at Intel's subsidizing of Apple's competitors in the Ultrabook space, for example.

Well, there's co-opetition (cooperation and competition with the same company), that I understand. I'm merely saying that "fame is fleeting" and Facebook is this year's flavor. It wouldn't take THAT much to knock them off their perch with a competitor that suddenly becomes cool.

• Reply 18 of 21
    You can order via credit card Omega Watches UK and get shipping via USPS or EMS. Happy rolex replica replica shopping!Take a look at the replica Rolex watch collection, comprising of all the best selling watches that Rolex has launched in the range. Each of the Rolex replica watches now come with the genuine Rolex box set, and the replica rolex stainless steel used in the watches is 904L grade, which is the exact same quality of steel used in making genuine Rolex watches by the company itself!For Fake Watches Sale instance, take the replica Tag Formula 1. This is one of the finest watches made by the company and one of the finest replica Rolex watches from our collection. The steel strap is built with the same strength as the original, and the steel bezel has exactly the same replica watches sale markings as with a real Formula 1. The black dial and the white markers lend a lot of beauty to the dial, and the red chronograph time pointers are a majestic stroke of genius.As with all of the replicas sold on our site, the replica watches also are precise quality time pieces, made by fake jewellers.
  • Reply 19 of 21

We really need a thumbs down button to immediately flag and remove spammers like this fellow (see above).

• Reply 20 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

We really need a thumbs down button to immediately flag and remove spammers like this fellow (see above).

If you report the content (just like on vBulletin) and I'm not asleep, I'll have it gone in under three minutes. image

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 10.32.17 AM.png