Does Tim Cook Maintain The RDF™ skill?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Based on his interview at All Things D, do you think Tim Cook maintains The Reality Distortion Field™ skill that Steve Jobs created?

[EDIT] Could a moderator please correct the spelling of Tim? One to many espressos this morning!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hope they get the video up so I can answer this.

He has a passion for Apple, and you can see it in earlier public offerings of his, but I don't know about RDF.

• Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    feynman wrote:
    Based on his interview at All Things D, do you think Tim Cook maintains The Reality Distortion Field™ skill that Steve Jobs created?

He lives up to my expectation, so no. Thing is, at the conference he was almost being asked 'Tim, do you think you are a visionary?' by the dimwitted Kara (honestly, every year people ask that she's not involved and she still shows up) and I expect him to answer the same way any reasonably intelligent person would in that they can't answer the question. It shows through your work and your conversation.

From his conversation, I see Tim as someone who understands and appreciates the way Apple works and being an operations guy has a motivation to make it happen efficiently. The fact that he doesn't override the quality in order to cut costs and ease manufacturing suggests that he has a respect for Apple's core values but I don't think he could have set that company up. He worked at IBM for 12 years on their personal computers and that made zero impact.

I don't see this as a problem behind closed doors as the core team can easily push their technology forward. I do see it as an issue on the presentation side. Cook has a very strange way of wording things. In one presentation he said to a group, 'I'd like to welcome you to this room' and in the All Things D talk he said about not being able to describe what Steve taught him in 'a day, a week, maybe a month'. He spoke about Apple being his oxygen.

It's all just really strange and his words are a little empty in a way that Steve's rarely were. Tim is not quote-worthy but you could take a phrase from pretty much any individual presentation of Steve's and it had merit on its own. The word that I rarey hear used about Steve is 'wise'. There are many people in history you could point to whose words were full of reasoning; reasoning that led to conclusions that made sense and were presented concisely. Steve was one of them.

I think Tim is honest, sensible and has good values and that already places him above the vast majority of CEOs but if he stands up in front of a worldwide audience selling a new TV set that falls even a ball-hair short of awesome, I don't think it will fly. Distort reality he cannot.

In all fairness, Steve lost this a little in recent years as the technology just started being incremental. There are fewer and fewer places left to go when you get a quad-core in your pants. There is less need for reality distortion and more need for delivery.
    feynman wrote:
    [EDIT] Could a moderator please correct the spelling of Tim? One to many espressos this morning!

It doesn't have an edit function on the poll so Tiim it will have to be. You spelled 'to' wrong too btw.
  • Reply 3 of 3

Is concerned, these watches replica watches give their real namesake a run for their money and as far as maintaining time is concerned, you can be rest assured that your Rolex replica watches will never fail you. However, before you purchase one of these works of craftsmanship, make sure you check out that you Rolex Watches are going in for the latest model of the Rolex replica watches. People who wear these Rolex replica watches are famous all over the world for the passion they exhibit for these watches. They do not think twice before they purchase many different models of these famous Fake Watches Sale Rolex replica watches. There are many of them who have been known to even replace their table clock with these Rolex replica watches. And why not?They know replica watches sale the value for money that these watches are giving them. They know that these time pieces are known all over the world for their beauty and like the true fans rolex replica that they are of Rolex replica watches, they do not mind replacing all the watches of their home with these Rolex replica watches. If you too are planning to replace . All the watches of your chanel bags home but are worrying of finding the same model in different locations in your house, dispel these thoughts. These Rolex replica watches come in a wide array of colors and models. You will never be able to exhaust the entire of these Rolex replica watches even if you keep a different one in all the rooms of your condominium.People are known by the company they keep and those who wear Rolex replica replica bags watches are known and recognized by one and all. If you wish to be recognized wherever you go, it is imperative that you too go in for Rolex replica watches. These Rolex replica watches will ensure that you are the center of attraction at the party. With prices at an chanel bag all time low you can have different Rolex replica watches for every day of the week. Make your presence felt with these Rolex replica watches.There are a wide range of Rolex watches that you will be spoilt for choice. These watches come in different colors and shades. rolex replicas There is a Rolex watch available for almost every profession.A Rolex does not come cheap and is sold at premium rates.