Macbook Pro's DC-In failing, after previous one was replaced

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Late 2008 MBP 15". Last year the power started behaving oddly, the power icon in Mac OS X would say "plugged in, not charging" when the cord was plugged in. Sometimes the cord's light wouldn't be lit, while plugged in, or it would turn green when it was supposed to be orange.

I could get it to charge properly by wiggling the magsafe connector laterally along the surface of the magnet. It would slowly act up worse and worse over time, it would take more and more tweaking to get it to charge the battery. I finally ordered a new DC-In board and replaced it, and the Magsafe connector worked fine for a while again. It's now repeating the same behavior and getting worse.

What could cause this part to go bad in the same way as before? I don't plug/unplug my cord very often, so it's not wear and tear. I don't hear a lot of other people with the same problem, so I'm kind of annoyed with this issue. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnusalpha View Post

I have a Late 2008 MBP 15". Last year the power started behaving oddly, the power icon in Mac OS X would say "plugged in, not charging" when the cord was plugged in. Sometimes the cord's light wouldn't be lit, while plugged in, or it would turn green when it was supposed to be orange.

I could get it to charge properly by wiggling the magsafe connector laterally along the surface of the magnet. It would slowly act up worse and worse over time, it would take more and more tweaking to get it to charge the battery. I finally ordered a new DC-In board and replaced it, and the Magsafe connector worked fine for a while again. It's now repeating the same behavior and getting worse.

What could cause this part to go bad in the same way as before? I don't plug/unplug my cord very often, so it's not wear and tear. I don't hear a lot of other people with the same problem, so I'm kind of annoyed with this issue. Thoughts?

It is odd. My thoughts would drift towards the charger perhaps being unstable and stressing the DC in board. If you could borrow another charger to try it may tell you something. But the DC in board may already be damaged.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnusalpha View Post

It is odd. My thoughts would drift towards the charger perhaps being unstable and stressing the DC in board. If you could borrow another charger to try it may tell you something. But the DC in board may already be damaged. Of course it could also be something beyond the DC in board that is not working correctly. Difficult to find if you are not a technician.
  • Reply 3 of 4

My idea would be to check the battery to see if it still holds a charge, click on the apple at the top left corner, go to about this mac. Then click the button labeled 'More Info...', then look for the tab named power, if it isn't there go to View > Basic Profile. Under there, there should be a title called Charge Information. Beside the words 'Full charge capacity (mAh):' it should say a number. What does it say? If it seems low or is at 0, the battery might need replacing.

• Reply 4 of 4

Rolex replica watches replica chanel displayed over there and being offered for sale are just not worth it. A shady dealer who is interested in making a quick buck by passing on useless things to you might have imported them in bulk. Come on, you should know better. You have been wearing quality watches for a long period of time and you know a good thing when you see one. A few weeks back you had noticed one of your relatives wearing the best Rolex replica and were impressed by its build and quality. Even though you have been wearing chanel bags quality watches for such a long period of time, this watch took you in and even you could not identify that it was not the real stuff.You can find great collections of Rolex replica watches over the internet. There are a number of online stores that offer wonderful collections chanel bag of these accessories are affordable rates. Buying these watches online allows you to check out more options and compare different products as well. Also, it saves much time as you can explore as many Rolex replica watches as you like within a few minutes. If you try to check out the various options of these watches in the local stores in person it may take days or weeks to do so. rolex replicas On the other hand, exploring the Rolex replica watches online is just a matter of few clicks within a few minutes.