Apple reportedly tried to keep Spotify out of U.S.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Of course it's true, Shaw Wu read it in Digitimes. They have unnamed sources close to the matter.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Well I have to say I use Spotify everyday and love it. I wish iTunes would offer what they do but they fail to realize what people want. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Spotify is going to fail.  Label after label are pulling their music from the service.

Where is the proof in this statement? I see more and more music showing up everyday. Sounds more like you just pulled something out of your @ss with nothing to back it up. 

• Reply 23 of 56
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

It is very telling that Sean Parker finds humor in the fact that the music industry has shrunk from $40B+ in revenue to $12B since he came on the scene 12 years ago - he has been a major player in the fact that the music artists themselves have been and continue to get screwed -  he is such an arrogant scumbag. Obviously these guys DO NOT respect the artist!

• Reply 24 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Given the strength of Apple's presence in so many areas of modern technology, their constant/relentless attempts to block the efforts of anything that even appears to be competition does little more than indicate that they're not quite as confident in their wares as some might believe.

Healthy competition's is always a good thing, and when companies go out of their way to thwart it that the entire industry becomes stifiled and far less innovative than it ever should be.

What a crock! If Apple did anything, it would be to convince them that their business model is far superior to any "all you can eat" incredibly low margin service, which is in fact true. Pointing out reality is not anti-competive or "thwarting competition in any sense. Sean Parker is a person who thinks that stealing music is ok. And that now its ok that artists get paid next to nothing for their art. The music industry is being foolish and is acting out of fear, not good business sense.

• Reply 25 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Great way to drum up some last minute publicity for your "iTunes-killer" (take a number, Lol) music service, Sean. 

Go to D10, and since you've got nothing else going for your service that never really took off in the way you dreamed, make up some stuff about "big bad Apple", and then dodge any requests for proof by alluding to your own "insider" knowledge:  "You hear things, people send you emails."

And *then*, backpedal just enough, and then make just enough conciliatory remarks that you *might* come off as "balanced":

"Parker admits that the music industry is not an overly important sector for Apple and it is unlikely that the company is too concerned with rivals like Spotify, saying "?[Music] is still such a small part of their overall business, it wouldn?t be hugely significant to their bottom line."

So Apple went out of their way to block a service that would have competed against Apple in a segment Apple no longer really cared about. 

Uh-huh.

Parker's statement that you quote above shows his complete ignorance of what makes Apple great and so successful - it is Apple's total ecosystem Sean! Not just one component! The importance of music to Apple, the music industry and the Apple ecosystem goes far beyond his narrow self-serving view of the world and Apple's revenue stream related to music sales through iTunes.

• Reply 26 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really?  I'm able to get just about anything I want on it.  Screw the record labels.  If they kill stuff like Spotify they really are idiots.

Your statement of "Screw the record labels" says it all - so therefore you like screwing the artists. Aren't you a peach!

• Reply 27 of 56
    sluslu Posts: 23member

It is too bad Spotify sucks.  I was just as excited for it as anyone.  I had tried all the music subscription services and most were great, but Spotify was the one I paid for without trying the mobile app.  What a mistake.  My only reason for a subscription service is music discovery.  And the Spotify mobile app was terrible for that.  Perhaps it is better now, but no ability to browse new album releases by genre, no ability to view top 100 by genre, no artist radio, no curated playlists, no "if you like this, maybe you'll like this" feature, etc.  These are features that most, if not all of the competing services have.  I personally think Rhapsody has the best mobile experience of them all, but any of them beat Spotify.  Spotify has a nice catalog, but that is it.  And their number of songs is inflated by a large number of duplicate listings of the same record, at least in my experience.  If you are not one to pay for a subscription service, the free Spotify is fine for previewing something someone recommended to you and the like.  If you really want a full featured subscription experience, go with any of the other major services.

• Reply 28 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00master View Post

That's one way of looking at things.  Another way is that Spotify is actually great of consumers and musicians.  How?  Many consumers want to discover new music.  Many musicians want their music discovered.  Spotify offers an easy way of doing this without having to necessarily buy every song.  It's wonderful of discovery, and guess what?  It's legal.

Why is that some on here simply cannot accept that many love Spotify (and similar) services.  These same folks have been talking about the "death of subscription music" for a long time.  Guess what?  They're still around.  Some like Spotify, Rdio and others are doing quite well.  They aren't going away anytime soon.

As for audio fidelity?  I don't have a high end system.  I wouldn't be able to hear the difference.  I'm not an audiophile - nothing wrong in being one - that's just not my priority in life.

w00master

Hmmm - last time I checked you could sample music on iTunes too? I must be missing something important in your comment. Nope, checked again, you can definitely sample ever song on iTunes... in fact they have dramatically increase the sample size. OOPS, guess you really have no clear advantage! Ignorance is bliss isn't it...

• Reply 29 of 56
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mike fix wrote: »
    Spotify is going to fail.  Label after label are pulling their music from the service.

Hmmmm I wonder why?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

..and spotify.

Did you search for the Spotify App?  (Obviously not.)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/spotify-ltd./id324684583

[Oops. Sorry hill 60. On more careful reading, I see you meant to add Spotify to the list (pointing out the same thing I was.]

(Obviously!  ;-)

• Reply 31 of 56
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

"There was some indication that that might have been happening," Parker said. "You hear things, people send you emails."

really? this is all he's got? what a bunch of horseshit—and, in true form, the troll are like flies and are all over it.

• Reply 32 of 56
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

If this is true it is quite sad...

Evidence, please.

• Reply 33 of 56

The question is that chanel shoulder bags why people consider buying Rolex Replica watches even they are mirrored design and shape of original pieces, the answers can be given in three sentences.They provide the same comfort as the original time pieces, they come handy when there is urgent need to wear a classic item complementing the outfit, and above all they are inexpensive yet stylish. The chanel bags need for a Rolex replica watch is stem from the facts that not all people have financial freedom to opt for high end and expensive masterpieces, and why they should feel going for expensive luxury items when alternate is present and with much more scores of comfort.Instead chanel bag of spending hundreds to thousands of dollars of expensive branded watches the wise decision is go for Rolex replica watches that help you save money on your purchase. Additionally, you get diverse varieties, designs, styles, colors, and shapes in Rolex replica, if you rolex replicas are to pick one for night function, it requires only few second to make the right choice. You get what you pay for;

• Reply 34 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Hmmm - last time I checked you could sample music on iTunes too? I must be missing something important in your comment. Nope, checked again, you can definitely sample ever song on iTunes... in fact they have dramatically increase the sample size. OOPS, guess you really have no clear advantage! Ignorance is bliss isn't it...

being able to listen to the full length of any song i want at any time is far different from the itunes experience.  the itunes experience would cost me significantly more money, and be much more inconvenient.  If i feel like listen to hits from the 90s today, I can do that in spotify for just the rate of my monthly subscription.  can you do that in itunes?  Spotify indeed lacks some of the suggestion features of other services, but it is excellent for the service it delivers.  iTunes is nowhere near close, and i haven't touched my itunes library once since getting spotify. 

• Reply 35 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Your statement of "Screw the record labels" says it all - so therefore you like screwing the artists. Aren't you a peach!

I think his intention was to screw the record labels' old world business models.  I think most people are in favor of artists, studios, and everyone involved making money.  Given how people consume music today, you expect that these companies should adapt to modern business models.  The same can be said for television.

• Reply 36 of 56
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjaminm3 View Post

being able to listen to the full length of any song i want at any time is far different from the itunes experience.  the itunes experience would cost me significantly more money, and be much more inconvenient.  If i feel like listen to hits from the 90s today, I can do that in spotify for just the rate of my monthly subscription.  can you do that in itunes?  Spotify indeed lacks some of the suggestion features of other services, but it is excellent for the service it delivers.  iTunes is nowhere near close, and i haven't touched my itunes library once since getting spotify. 

Exactly right. I use Spotify every day. It is a great service for a measly 10 bucks a month. This is what Apple should have done instead of iTunes match IMO. An all you can eat buffet of music for one price is a great idea. Instead iTunes is stuck in the belief that every person would rather "own" the music. As far as sound quality goes, as long as you pay, you get the high bit rate mp3's and they sound fine. Obviously if you want 100% CD quality you will have to look elsewhere but it sounds just as good as any iTunes lossy files. I NEVER buy ANY music from iTunes anymore because it just isn't worth it. Between Amazon's sales and Spotify I get all the music I want. If I really like an album I will then buy it so I can have a higher quality recording and rip it into any format I feel like. Bloated and glitchy iTunes just needs to die a quick death as far as I am concerned.

• Reply 37 of 56
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Hehe, Napster guy defending Spotify... I'm a fan of Pandora, have discovered many musicians with it. Is Apple also keeping Pandora stateside only? Bugger.

• Reply 38 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Exactly right. I use Spotify every day. It is a great service for a measly 10 bucks a month. This is what Apple should have done instead of iTunes match IMO. An all you can eat buffet of music for one price is a great idea. Instead iTunes is stuck in the belief that every person would rather "own" the music. As far as sound quality goes, as long as you pay, you get the high bit rate mp3's and they sound fine. Obviously if you want 100% CD quality you will have to look elsewhere but it sounds just as good as any iTunes lossy files. I NEVER buy ANY music from iTunes anymore because it just isn't worth it. Between Amazon's sales and Spotify I get all the music I want. If I really like an album I will then buy it so I can have a higher quality recording and rip it into any format I feel like. Bloated and glitchy iTunes just needs to die a quick death as far as I am concerned.

Are you sure it's Apple?

Last I heard they were forced into the iTunes Match model by the recording industry's refusal to grant the required streaming licenses.

Perhaps the DoJ could take a look into this possible anticompetitive behaviour.

It's far more interesting than boring, old eBooks.

I just got spottily, it just launched in Australia, I've got a 48 hour free trial of "premium" on my iPhone, I already have most of the music a cursory examination of it shows.

I've got 7,500 songs in iTunes match, which grows as I find new stuff with Shazam.

I'll have to weigh up the costs $35 a year vs $144 for Spotify 

• Reply 39 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

If this is true it is quite sad...

Except it's not true at all.  Sean Parker is a no talent douchebag, who lies through his teeth and is more concerned with his own image than anything else.  

Think about it.  Apple was supposedly "worried about what Spotify was doing."???

Come on. 

• Reply 40 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I wish Apple had succeeded. Spotify is bad for consumers, bad for musicians, bad for experiencing hi-fidelity music. Mastered for iTunes is the best way to experience digital music.

Spotify offers lossless music to premium subscribers now. Better quality than anything on iTunes.