Do you now, or have you ever attended Cal Poly?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wondering if anyone here has attended Cal Poly (San Luis). If so could you list some of your basic impressions of the school and what you majored in? I am currently looking at the school and any extra information to help me make up my mind one way or the other would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps most importantly, how fast is their internet connection?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    my parents went there. i played in the day care center there, so i have vast amounts of experience.

they majored in engineering (civil, i believe).

and there was no internet connection then...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    John Madden and Weird Al Yankovic went there.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I visited the campus when I was looking at schools a few years ago, and I really did not like it. No real reason actually, just a bad vibe I got from the place.

And I'm also slightly bitter now because the only speeding ticket I've ever gotten was in SLO county.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    SLO has the hottest girls in all of California. A good mix of boring Northern California and SoCal uber-sluttiness.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    [quote] SLO has the hottest girls in all of California. A good mix of boring Northern California and SoCal uber-sluttiness. <hr></blockquote>

Most intriguing...

For those of you who live in California, what kind of reputation does Poly have? Also, how does it compare to schools such as UCD? (Because Poly doesn't offer Ph.D.s it is never ranked with other schools I am interested in )
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I visited Cal Poly on my "college visit trek" of last spring. I really don't know much about the internet connection, but it is a technical school, so I'd be willing to bet that they have a pretty decent one.

Overall, I found that the college didn't suit me. There was, as agent302 said, just a bad vibe. I'm not applying, mostly because their fine arts program is too technical for me. I'm not interested in painting ketchup bottles to be used in commercials for a living. On the other hand, many people love it there, and many others aspire to attend.

That's just my two cents
  • Reply 7 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by westonm:

<strong>

Most intriguing...

For those of you who live in California, what kind of reputation does Poly have? Also, how does it compare to schools such as UCD? (Because Poly doesn't offer Ph.D.s it is never ranked with other schools I am interested in )</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, hehe, I didn't read this post before I wrote my last one. I would pick UCD over Cal Poly. Note that this has nothing to do with the fact that I live in Davis. The campus at UCD is relatively nice. I mean, it doesn't have a beach near it, but it's a decent location. The town is a pretty cool place, and it offers many off-campus activities (swing dancing, rock climbing, theatre, etc.). One thing that I noticed when I visited Cal Poly was that they had numerous, gigantic parking lots. This, of course, implies that most students live off campus, and are forced to drive to class. Davis, on the other hand, is a biking town. You can find parking anywhere (there are tons of bike racks), and you can get exercize while on your way to class.

Overall, the choice hinges on what you want to study. UCD is an ag. school, but they have decent technical departments, as well as a superb fine arts department. Cal poly focuses solely on the technical sciences, as the name implies, and I found that it offered less of a well rounded education (although I was intrigued by their glass blowing class!). Both schools have excellent reputations, so wherever you go, you will get a fabulous education. I hope this helps! If you have any other questions about UCD, just ask.

P.S. - I resent that previous comment about Northern California girls being boring! Hehe, just standing up for myself here.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by westonm:

<strong>

Most intriguing...

For those of you who live in California, what kind of reputation does Poly have? Also, how does it compare to schools such as UCD? (Because Poly doesn't offer Ph.D.s it is never ranked with other schools I am interested in )</strong><hr></blockquote>

UCSD is the place to be. Cal Poly has a lot of impacted majors...unless you want to be a city planner or major in agribusiness, places like UCSD are better.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebulous:

<strong>

P.S. - I resent that previous comment about Northern California girls being boring! Hehe, just standing up for myself here. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay, okay, not boring...coy, demure, tame...

I was merely using hyperbolic descriptions to distinguish north and south.

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebulous:

<strong>

P.S. - I resent that previous comment about Northern California girls being boring! Hehe, just standing up for myself here. </strong><hr></blockquote>

i agree! norcal girls rock. though i'm not sure about davis... too many cows no, i love davis... they have a crepe restaurant that i absolutely adore.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Eugene's just jealous cuz all the other UCs have better looking girls than Cal.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Okay, okay, not boring...coy, demure, tame...

I was merely using hyperbolic descriptions to distinguish north and south.

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehehe, nice save.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>Eugene's just jealous cuz all the other UCs have better looking girls than Cal. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Why limit the comparison to UCs? Berkeley girls are just nasty.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Why limit the comparison to UCs? Berkeley girls are just nasty. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Fair enough. Though you'd think at the second biggest UC campus there be at least a few attractive girls in the mix.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I feel it is time to revive this old thread, for no other reason then that I am once again, confused beyond all belief.

I'm aware that the odds of this are astronomically low, but has anyone here ever attended Montana State University? I ask only because I am now thinking of attending there. I know that MSU isn't as good as a computer science school as Poly or Davis, but I used to live there, and like the town. I am now thinking that I could go to MSU then try to get into a grad school in California (my ultimate goal being Apple...or the PGA tour). Anyone have any ideas? Or know how hard it would be to get into a good grad school from MSU? I know MSU isn't exactly well known, but *any* advice would be great.

• Reply 16 of 19
    I went to Poly. In fact, it's the only school that I applied to. If you like laid back lifestyles and no school on Fridays (if you major in business) then this is the place for you. The weather and location are God given perfect. The school is challenging, but in a good way. If you major in Engineering (like myself) or Architecture, you're going to have a good rep coming from there. If you major in Liberal Arts or Soil Science, you're just going for the girls. Of course the Ag dept is huge too. Either way, I think it is the best school in California, not that I'm biased or anything...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Oh, and they have T1 lines in all the dorms and Airport in the University Union! Can't beat sitting on the lawn on a beautiful spring day, surfing the web while encoding DVD's, ripping CD's and chatting with your friends all the while viewing the "scenery"...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by westonm

I feel it is time to revive this old thread, for no other reason then that I am once again, confused beyond all belief.

I'm aware that the odds of this are astronomically low, but has anyone here ever attended Montana State University? I ask only because I am now thinking of attending there. I know that MSU isn't as good as a computer science school as Poly or Davis, but I used to live there, and like the town. I am now thinking that I could go to MSU then try to get into a grad school in California (my ultimate goal being Apple...or the PGA tour). Anyone have any ideas? Or know how hard it would be to get into a good grad school from MSU? I know MSU isn't exactly well known, but *any* advice would be great.

Go to MSU. This is your future self saying that if you go to Cal Poly, you will be raped thrice by bikers named Todd.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Oh, and they have T1 lines in all the dorms and Airport in the University Union!

T1s are great and all, but could you give me a actually speed? (Kbps) Not that it well affect my decision that much...

Also, do you know anything about the golf courses around there? Seeing as how that would take up a fairly large part of my time, it would be nice if the courses were at least decent.

How is it to get around the Cal Poly area? Would I need a car as a freshmen? Is the public transportation good (are there ways to get to the golf courses)? Really any extra information you could give me would be great. I have visited the campus and seen the catalog, but I don't have a real "feel" for the surrounding area.

Quote:

Go to MSU. This is your future self saying that if you go to Cal Poly, you will be raped thrice by bikers named Todd.

Oh, I will take that into consideration. Thankyou.