Video shows taller front panel allegedly for Apple's next iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Though the screen may change shape, I'm betting that the actual App real estate will be the same as the 3.5" displays, and developers won't have to change anything.  What we'll get is an actual dock for 'real' multi-tasking -- not the 'double-click-the-home-screen' thing.  So the iOS will be upgraded as well to give us a visual dock for running Apps, and/or maybe a place for customizable buttons.

That's my prediction.

-Carnac the Magnificent

Then the dock would have to disappear when using full screen apps where you might accidentally touch anything in the dock. Swiping up from the bottom to reveal such a dock would be much better IMO.

• Reply 22 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Are you in a reality distortion field? 

You're right, my mistake. 4" is smaller than 3.5", of course.

• Reply 23 of 80
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right, my mistake. 4" is smaller than 3.5", of course.

Yes, and the new panel is not bigger then the old. :)

• Reply 24 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

It would have been FAR better to reduce/eliminate the "home" button and/or the top part than extend the actual phone body to accommodate the screen size.

• Reply 25 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

Couldn't care less about it! Where do you see the problem? Is the phone going to be more useful?

If it is not a problem that let's get back to BBs. They are the best at using half of the panel area for a hardware keyboard.

IMHO the holy grail of smartphone design is the one that has screen occupying 90+% of the front area with the rest of the space left for camera, speaker, and proximity sensor and nothing else.

• Reply 26 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I cry foul, that is just too tall.

From a usability perspective it probably would have been better the way it was, but from a marketing perspective they had to make it bigger. Once they decided that it was going to be bigger, they had the challenge of figuring out how to make it not suck for all involved, both end user and developer.

• Reply 27 of 80
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Inspiration for the new iphone: 

63187.jpgRectangular_PVC_Inflatable_Air_Mattress_inflatable_Water.jpg

and of course:

Rectangle-Tissue-Box-Cover-Satin-Chrome-Finish-Case-Qty-6-.jpg

esp. that last one is going to come in very handy to apple after iphone's 5 release.

• Reply 28 of 80
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

If this is not a fake, then it would make the most idiotic design decision ever.

We don't want a bigger phone, we want a bigger screen.

So instead just of making bezels thinner they enlarged the whole thing. Absurd! 

Also the new design will not help much reducing screen to body % area.

iPhone 4s is already one of the worst in this department:

3z9eX-640x441.png

"'We' don't want a bigger phone, 'we' want a bigger screen."  Do you have a frog in your pocket?

Why is enlarging the "entire" phone absurd?  Are you suggesting any phone larger than the iPhone is absurd?

• Reply 29 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Also the new design will not help much reducing screen to body % area.

I think you mean "reducing screen size as a percentage of body area," but if you watch the video, you can clearly see that this is exactly what they've done.  

The bottom and the top parts are both smaller that the current generation phones and those that went before them.  The screen is taller, but the phone is not as much taller overall as the increase in screen height would normally make it.  So the area of the screen relative to the front face should be bigger.  

I think the possibility that this is "fake" is so small at this point it's almost negligible, I do think this is an ugly design though and not nearly as good as the current one.  It's clear that most of the changes they've made are changes that help Apple and their manufacturing partners, not the end user.  This design looks to me like it will be easier and cheaper to manufacture as well as repair, when if you asked users they would ask for things like making it lighter, smaller, waterproof, drop-proof, scratch-proof etc. instead.  

------

This is a bit off topic, but unless the mythical iTV is something really special, I think 2012 will probably go down as the year Apple "jumped the Shark" in product design.  It's not that this new iPhone is really that awful, but it's sorta awful and definitely not as good as last years design IMO.  And this is all just my opinion of course, and I'm no Jony Ive, but I have been to Industrial Design school and worked as a designer so at least in my own head I believe I know what I'm talking about to some degree. 

Another good indicator of a company that is losing it's focus is bad advertising.  The adverts often become stale and unexciting before the products start to be and this year's Apple ads are all boring, poorly executed and totally derivative if you ask me.  Beginning of the end, sky is falling etc. etc. 

Chicken Little

• Reply 30 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

It would have been FAR better to reduce/eliminate the "home" button and/or the top part than extend the actual phone body to accommodate the screen size.

It looks to me like the did reduce both areas as much as they can.  

• Reply 31 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"'We' don't want a bigger phone, 'we' want a bigger screen."  Do you have a frog in your pocket?

Why is enlarging the "entire" phone absurd?  Are you suggesting any phone larger than the iPhone is absurd?

Yes, that was exactly my point. With this design iPhone will be taller than Galaxy shovel-phones with substantially less screen area. What a shame. Just cannot stand it.

• Reply 32 of 80
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

Ok. It's 16:9 format now. A bit taller. Calm down people.

You were only the 2nd post.   Who exactly were you trying to calm down?   

• Reply 33 of 80
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

but how will our delicate thumbs reach the top corners???!?!?!?!?!??!!

Lucky for me, I've got manly thumbs.   

• Reply 34 of 80
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    but how will our delicate thumbs reach the top corners???!?!?!?!?!??!!

Grow bigger hands! XD
  • Reply 35 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

No.  I believe that the suggest is that you can accomplish a larger screen without greatly increasing the size of the phone.  Sadly it appears that Apple has chosen to expand both the size of the screen and the phone. 

Look at most iPhones.  You unnecessarily have almost a full inch of wasted top and bottom space that could be screen.

Look at the INSANELY nice iPhone 5 mockups that were coming out before the 4S based off (false) info from case manufacturers.

That is the design they should be moving towards not the monstrosity that he been leaked (if true)

• Reply 36 of 80
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    Inspiration for the new iphone: 

LLLL

and of course:

LL

esp. that last one is going to come in very handy to apple after iphone's 5 release.

LOL!
  • Reply 37 of 80
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure they have. Best way to find the people who are leaking and fire/sue them.

Everyone did notice the 3D barcode on the back of the glass panel, right (~36 sec. mark)? I'm quite certain it corresponds to a unique vendor, maybe even that guy over there sitting by the Future Cola machine, with the gray shirt and Air Jordans. Yea, him right there...

3d.jpg

• Reply 38 of 80
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Any examples?

Think Different...  Didn't they report on a product leaked or something?  While I don't know what happen to the leaker, Apple did go after Think Secret and the end resolution, the egomaniac Nick Ciarelli had to shut down his Think Different website!

/

/

/

• Reply 39 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Everyone did notice the 3D barcode on the back of the glass panel, right? 

Exactly! I mentioned that over on 9to5, and someone was able to pull a partial scan from it.

Here's what they got:

Quote:

The first time, I got "661A08" and this meant nothing to me.  So then I tried again and got "421937043049614292006909454760952410" which is also meaningless to me.  I'm no expert on QR codes, but maybe someone here could decipher whether these numbers are garbage or if they are actually useful.

• Reply 40 of 80

I really hope this is a true leak. It's about time the iPhone goes 16:9. It bothered me when Jobs announced the original iPhone as being a 'widescreen iPod' when in fact it wasn't.

The current iPhone's oddball aspect ratio is looking rather oldy-timey compared to all the widescreen Android devices. So I welcome a true widescreen iPhone. It's been a long, long time coming.

I also like the shape of the overall frame. They shrunk the height of the home button area as much as possible. Obviously the earpiece area is also be the same height to maintain symmetry. To me it's a perfect front design (not crazy about the supposed leaked backs though)

Going forward Apple can finally have two standard aspects for its iOS devices: 3:2 (iPad) and 16:9 (iPhone, iPod, iTV).

I work with developers, and the new aspect isn't a big deal for them since retina upscaling is all done by now (and downscaling new apps for the 3GS is trivial in XCode). So adapting existing apps to the new resolution won't be a huge burden, especially considering how well XCode has supported new resolutions in the past.

Bring it on.