Facebook iOS integration to be announced at WWDC, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I don't have Twitter configured in iOS5,  however I still get a button to "tweet" photos.    Can that be disabled?

or how about removing the print button unless you are near an AirPrint compat printer. 

• Reply 22 of 80
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Facebook is just massive.

So was AOL.

(So much so that Apple included a special setting for AOL in the modem-equipped Airport base stations. It's still there in the last firmware revision.)

To those who say this shouldn't effect anyone who doesn't use Facebook, at a surface level it adds more clutter to the various interfaces that include it. But it's also more code that needs to be secured and maintained, and we all know that the only bug-free code is the stuff you don't include.

• Reply 23 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

It doesn't matter to devs either, there is an existing FB api. This is a real non event.

• Reply 24 of 80
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I don't have Twitter configured in iOS5,  however I still get a button to "tweet" photos.    Can that be disabled?

I don't care how many "social networking" hooks they put in iOS, just let us turn them ALL off and don't annoy us with them unless we want it...

Remember "the computer for the rest of us"

Do you have the app installed?

If that's not the case maybe that is something that'll be fixed in iOS6. I've been FB free for two years now. Feels good.

• Reply 25 of 80
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Whatever. Just as long as I never hear the word 'Google' ever again at an Apple event.

• Reply 26 of 80
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They remove it from the OS. Simple. We don't have HyperCard support anymore, you know. image

That day can't come soon enough.

A new version of HyperCard that let you create web-based apps using HTML5 would be very cool.   With ties to iCloud.   Now that would be something useful.

• Reply 27 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You must be joking - have you seen how many apps now practically force you to have a FB login in order to use them?

No, I'm not joking. 

Name the apps. 

I've got hundreds. 

The ones currently active on both my iPhone and iPad don't force you to use a Facebook login at all. I'd be happy to list them, screenshots and all. 

And in terms of tighter Facebook integration. This was always a given. And Apple would be stupid to ignore the Facebook juggernaut. When it fails like AOL (and you hope it does) *then* they can merrily remove that integration. As for now, it's a huge selling point, and Apple can no longer afford to employ niche-thinking when control of the mainstream is so very important. This isn't 20 years ago. It doesn't make one damn bit of difference that AOL failed. What, you think Apple will pass up the potential mindshare and desirability gained from FB integration because FB might or might not fail 3 years from now? That's ridiculous. Apple doesn't only need to skate where the puck is going, they need to a) get on what's hot NOW, and b) do the service or feature right. It makes no sense that the world's best mobile devices - that is, Apple smartphones and tablets - don't offer a complete social networking experience, when social networking at large has become such a powerful and pervasive force. You might like to think FB will fail, but social networking will not. Apple MUST address this reality fully and completely. And currently, it's either Facebook or Twitter. And they feel Facebook is the broader, more popular option. I see no reason to second-guess them on that. 

Frankly, it's a bit surprising that some AI members aren't able to think beyond their 5 feet of personal space and consider wider market implications. It's like I'm on MacRumors or something. 

• Reply 28 of 80
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Facebook SDK is completely garbage... integrating it in apps is not a fun process. Having to verify with Facebook app or Safari just to get the wall is not a great user experience. I read they are trying to deprecate in-app authentication and force the previous mentioned.

So yes, this is a bitter sweet welcomed feature. Anything to get past the pain of FB SDK.

• Reply 29 of 80
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

No, I'm not joking. 

Name the apps. 

I've got hundreds. 

The ones currently active on both my iPhone and iPad don't force you to use a Facebook login at all. I'd be happy to list them, screenshots and all. 

And in terms of tighter Facebook integration. This was always a given. And Apple would be stupid to ignore the Facebook juggernaut. When it fails like AOL (and you hope it does) *then* they can merrily remove that integration. As for now, it's a huge selling point, and Apple can no longer afford to employ niche-thinking when control of the mainstream is so very important. This isn't 20 years ago. 

Frankly, it's a bit surprising that some AI members aren't able to think beyond their 5 feet of personal space and consider wider market implications. It's like I'm on MacRumors or something. 

That is because you authenticated at one time or another. It maintains the session on your phone. But once one of the apps asks for more information, it will ask you to permit it again.

• Reply 30 of 80

My view is: How much security is being sacrificed if Apple loads down IOS, and probably the computer OS with integral Facebook capabilities?  Does Apple have some sort of gentleman's agreement with Facebook to allow data harvesting even when one is not a Facebook subscriber?

I look upon Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, and other such data-mines as being an application.  If I want it, I will buy it and install it, or in the case of a freebie, pull it down and install it.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for these social network apps to be something you get whether you like or want it, or not.  If I wanted to throw my computers and tablets open for data mining, I'd save a several hundreds of dollars and buy Android stuff.  At least Google is open about their invasiveness.

One could argue that iLife comes with each Mac. That is correct. But one can also delete those programs with very little effort.  

I like my Apple gear, but don't face Cupertino five times a day and bow.  If this sort of thing becomes an Apple "feature", I 'll just move back to Windows when my Apple gear begins to die and not look back.  If I'm to have security holes, Microsoft and Dell charge far less for them.

• Reply 31 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

How much security is being sacrificed if Apple loads down IOS, and probably the computer OS with integral Facebook capabilities?

None.

Quote:

Does Apple have some sort of gentleman's agreement with Facebook to allow data harvesting even when one is not a Facebook subscriber?

That's not Apple's bag. They better darn well not.

• Reply 32 of 80
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/150426/facebook-ios-integration-to-be-announced-at-wwdc-report-says#post_2119649"]It matters, as long as it shows up. As long as there is an option to disable, then it's fine.

It doesn't matter if you know how to ignore things you don't care about. All human beings should know how to do that. We all see things we don't care about every day. This Facebook integration in iOS should be the same as Twitter where I just ignore and don't ever press the Tweet button since I don't have a Tweeter account.. No big deal.
  • Reply 33 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

That is because you authenticated at one time or another. It maintains the session on your phone. But once one of the apps asks for more information, it will ask you to permit it again.

I can go into my FB account right now and view which apps have access. A mere fraction of what I use daily. And I've got 3 pages on my iPhone, with several full folders - from Air Sharing and GoodReader to Pages, to photo apps, to cloud service apps, PDF viewers, text editors, you name it.  

YMMV, but the majority of apps don't require any social network authentication at all. It would be ludicrous if they did. 

• Reply 34 of 80

I've not seen apps that require it, but there are many on-line news sites that require a Facebook account in order to make a comment on an article.  This is a trend that is growing.  Granted, not being able to comment on an article does not exactly rank with being deprived of water in Death Valley.  But unless the site has some deal worked with Facebook for data mining, why do they do this?

• Reply 35 of 80

It hasn't been their bag in the past. But, as someone pointed out in another thread, this is not 20 years ago.  Apple is, in general, a decent company. That can change.

• Reply 36 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I made a second and fake Facebook account to deal with all these app forced log ins and online forums, CNN, you name it. At least on that account I couldn't care less who FB shares my info with. Everyone probably needs to do that as well. 

• Reply 37 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Wonder how much Apple is going to have to pay Facebook for this "privilege".

• Reply 38 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

It doesn't matter if you know how to ignore things you don't care about. All human beings should know how to do that. We all see things we don't care about every day. This Facebook integration in iOS should be the same as Twitter where I just ignore and don't ever press the Tweet button since I don't have a Tweeter account.. No big deal.

It's estimated that by the end of this year, the number of active FB users will hit 1 billion. And you can bet that a lot of them are iOS users. FB integration is clearly an important feature that will help Apple achieve even more relevance.

Now imagine what this FB integration means for FB users who don't have an iDevice. Big selling point. 

• Reply 39 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

It's estimated that by the end of this year, the number of active FB users will hit 1 billion. And you can bet that a lot of them are iOS users. FB integration is clearly an important feature that will help Apple achieve even more relevance.

Now imagine what this FB integration means for FB users who don't have an iDevice. Big selling point. 

And how many of those "active" accounts are duplicates or bots?

The number of accounts is irrelevant.  Facebook is an advertising company.  The only thing that matters is page impressions and click through rates.

Anyways, how does integrating FB into iOS help solve Facebooks issue with click through rates and mobile???

(Unless Apple is paying them for the privilage or they are going to find a way to spam the user with ads.)

• Reply 40 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Anyways, how does integrating FB into iOS help solve Facebooks issue with click through rates and mobile???

This doesn't even matter.