Android cedes ground to iOS in U.S. smartphone market during April

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Something smells fishy...

Apple's iPhone accounted for 78% of AT&T smartphone activations in Q1 2012

AT&T sold 5.5 million smartphones last quarter, and 4.3 million of those were Apple's iPhone, the company revealed in its earnings report on Tuesday.

Verizon activated 3.2 million iPhones in Q1, outselling all other smartphones

Verizon's first calendar quarter of 2012 shows strong momentum for the existing iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, which amounted to 3.2 million of the 6.3 million smartphones Verizon activated during the quarter. The allure of iPhone helped Verizon add 734,000 retail net customers in the first quarter.

Sprint sold 1.5M iPhones in Q1 2012, 44% to new customers

In all, Sprint added nearly 1.1 million new subscribers in the first quarter of 2012. That means the 660,000 new customers brought by the iPhone accounted for about 60 percent of the new subscribers Sprint added in the three-month span.

Lets work with ATT for a moment 

Assume for a moment that 4 million of those iPhone users where upgrading from an older iPhone. While only 200000 of the android purchases came from older androids. What you get is the iPhone maintaining its customer while the android ODMs pick up more new customers increasing Android marketshare. This is market share not sells we are talking about. 

• Reply 22 of 88
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Not to start an argument here.  But the data shows that Androids "growth" may be slowing.  Apple is not gaining ground.  And slowed growth is still in fact growth.  

I know the numbers are important to keep in mind, but Apple has been a little slow on the uptake with the increase in screen size seen around the industry.  Its one of the downsides of a one year refresh and 2 year rebuild cycle.  The guys in Cupertino are great, but the mobile arena is moving faster than anyone expected.  Form factors that last 2 years in this day and age are being leap-frogged.  All we can really do is hope for a strong holiday season.  Apple really needs a campaign that shows that advantages of iOS over Android.  The "I'm a Mac" commercials were great.  I don't know what the heck Samuel L. Jackson and Zoey Deschanel are doing in their ads.  More needs to be included regarding the unity that the Apple ecosystem has, compared to the fragmented cluster-ef of a corner Google has painted itself into.  A new Droid Razr Maxx from VZW that comes with Gingerbread 2.3.6 pre-installed without the option to upgrade at this point in time?  That beyond ridiculous.  Hit them where it hurts and on National TV.  Let the numbers speak for themselves.  These numbers don't speak well.

No concern about any worry of an heated debate. I just merely pointed out the early reactions to those actually not reading the article.

• Reply 23 of 88
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

"(Android) saw an overall gain over the period."  Fail.

With the Galaxy S III now coming to market I don't see this as very good news at all.  And AI wants to try and pick at it because it has "the same camera" as the 4S?  Who the hell cares?!  You're trying to prove that Android hasn't surpassed Apple?  That argument inherently puts iOS on lower ground than Android.  I just wanna see some miracles come Sept.- Oct.  Things aren't looking too hot right now.  And yes, I do think Android is an inferior platform but I don't think iOS is reaching its fullest potential at this point in time either.

I'm an apple user and have used iPhones in the past but have switched to HTC and now on their second generation phone. Unless things change with the next iPhone, I may have bought my last one. Very happy android user.

• Reply 24 of 88
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member

There are two charts in the comScore article. The one not included here is the one that shows a gain for Apple. As written, though, the story is simply wrong and should be edited or deleted.

• Reply 25 of 88
    balsy2001balsy2001 Posts: 48member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Sorry but 30k data points out of over 100 million users sounds about as statistically sound as the Nielsen ratings and at least Nielsen pulls their sample randomly out of the whole US population. We have zero info about this group and their sampling protocol. 

Sorry, but 30K data points is more than enough given proper protocol.  You could question the protocol but not the sample size. 

• Reply 26 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    balsy2001 wrote: »

Sorry, but 30K data points is more than enough given proper protocol.  You could question the protocol but not the sample size. 

Exactly. In most of these polls, the sample size is more than sufficient. With 30 K data points, you're looking at an error rate of around 1%. Adding more samples would not improve that by much.

The real problem with almost all of these surveys is not sample size, but whether the sample is representative. If your sample is not representative of the total population, it doesn't matter if you have a million data points-the results will be wrong. OTOH, if your sample IS representative, even a couple thousand data points is fine.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

It will be interesting to watch the numbers as the US market approaches the peak of smartphone adoption.

FWIW, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note and am pretty frustrated with it, 3 months old and it already looks like hell,and it crashes randomly, Wifi is hard to connect, etc, a dozen annoyances that can't be fixed. I also have a iP4, and will give it up when it's pried from my cold,dead hands. (or when the iP5 is released).

• Reply 28 of 88
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest study from comScore reveals that the U.S. marketshare of Google's Android mobile operating system dipped slightly over April while Apple's iOS-driven iPhone continued its slow upward climb.

Data from research firm's MobiLens service showed Apple maintaining a steady forward pace over the month of April amid a growing U.S. smartphone market, while Android exhibited a small drop in share during the same period.

The survey polled 30,000 mobile subscribers and found that during the three months ending in April, Android remained the top U.S. platform and managed to gain 2.2 points to end the period with a 50.8 percent market share. While Google's OS saw an overall gain over the period, the platform saw a month-to-month decline as it stood with a 51 percent share at the end of March after rising 3.7 percent, a relatively steep bump considering the saturated marketplace.

The title of this article is misleading. Given the sample size and a confidence level of 99%, we can expect a confidence interval of +/- 0.7 percentage points for Android's share. Therefore, fluctuations in the range of 0.2% are not statistically significant and cannot be used as the bases of any informed conclusion. With a sample of this size, and considering the small rate of change of market share, it is only meaningful to look at changes over longer time intervals.

• Reply 29 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

What am I missing here?  Android market share increased 2.2% while iPhone increased less at 1.9%?  I do not see a drop in market share by Android at all?  At least not in the table...  I just went to the MobiLens website and they confirm the chart but really Android is slowly pulling away from iPhone and has not lost ground.  Am I crazy here?  Or is the blog post fouled up?!?

Well, after reading your posting history, I would say you think you missed something because the article conflicts with your anti-Apple bias. And besides, market share is all you've got to crow about so any conflict there messes with your head.

• Reply 30 of 88
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

One thing this thread has done is given me a clear indication of who has the best comprehension levels.

The story (not the chart) simply states that Apple did not have any negative months during the three month period from Jan 12 to April 12... a  bit up in each month.

Android had a negative month... up sharply in March... back down a tad in April.

Simple.

• Reply 31 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Lets work with ATT for a moment 

Assume for a moment that 4 million of those iPhone users where upgrading from an older iPhone. While only 200000 of the android purchases came from older androids. What you get is the iPhone maintaining its customer while the android ODMs pick up more new customers increasing Android marketshare. This is market share not sells we are talking about. 

Sounds reasonable. We know the numbers of customers switching from iPhone to Android is just about nil. Most of the new Android customers are probably people upgrading from dumb feature phones. iPhones have always been about the ecosystem and targeted at more affluent consumers. In the beginning you had to have a computer to even activate it. I suspect many new Android customers are people who - how can I say this? - are not as well off financially and possibly do not even own a computer. At least that is my perception that Android is gaining primarily on the low end of the market. So even if Android is gaining as a platform, Apple still wins out because of the ecosystem and that their customers are more likely to buy other Apple products and services.

• Reply 32 of 88
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I fully realize the market is still growing, but the rate that RIM is losing customers at and the frequent news of downsizing and layoffs they are performing is frightening. I really have doubts that without some significant turn around they will last to see 2015.

I agree Solip, I hope that isn't true. I am not much for the "competition for its own sake" mantra, but competition with worthy competitors can be a good thing, and at one time RIM was the smart phone market. I think they misread the signs and didn't see the revolution that a full screen could bring. They tried to extend a company based model to a consumer world and got their collective ass handed to them, and that is sad, but they should be the real competition, not this half assed android stuff on clearly copied hardware. Shame really.

If they had a more innovative approach in their history, now would be a good time to look tot them for a break out product to rebuild the company with, but I don't see that in their makeup.

Here is to hoping though!
  • Reply 33 of 88
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Are iPads included in this study?  If so, it explains why iOS share is up from March to April.

• Reply 34 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Did you only read the first part of the sentence or choose not to acknowledge the rest?

2) The iPhone 4S has a great camera from Sony. That's good news, not bad news, for those that want a Galaxy S III.

3) You want miracles so you're always going to be disappointed because this is technology not unicorns and fairies.

4) I can tell you only understand from looking at a spec sheet. That's rudimentary, surface layer comprehension. Now that the Galaxy S III has the same camera HW as the iPhone 4S you can bet there will be extensive testing and comparison where as before that might not have happened. This is a good thing because you'll get to see which phone takes the best photos and is better to use as a camera. This is a good thing and understanding that these devices are more than the sum of their parts is a great thing.

First off.  Congratulations for conducting yourself like a 3 year old online.  The "miracle" I was referring to is Apple doing a 180 and bringing a larger form factor to the table.  (Not just a taller screen)  Quite honestly, I don't see Cupertino doing this.  I hope I'm wrong.  Regarding the articles numbers? I could dance circles around you in Linear Algebra and Number Theory.  Math is what my degree is in.  Android is still growing.  No one takes numbers from a 4 week period and extrapolates a trend on that.  Not when the US market is a saturated as it is.  Thanks for the gesture though.

I understand the whole theory behind how far one can reach while palming a phone, but I don't palm my phone.  It lays on the flats of my fingers.  Most people are doing the same thing with their larger Android devices as well.  The 4:3 aspect ratio is great and I would love it if it stuck around as a 4.2" phone.  I just don't see that happening.

• Reply 35 of 88
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

It will be interesting to watch the numbers as the US market approaches the peak of smartphone adoption.

FWIW, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note and am pretty frustrated with it, 3 months old and it already looks like hell,and it crashes randomly, Wifi is hard to connect, etc, a dozen annoyances that can't be fixed. I also have a iP4, and will give it up when it's pried from my cold,dead hands. (or when the iP5 is released).

I identify with this post.  I decided to get a spare, cheap and cheerful prepaid Android phone to learn more about Android.  I went for the Samsung Galaxy Y.

Up till now it's been an okay experience but doesn't compare to the iPhone.  Furthermore there's the worry of installing a trojan from untrusted sources.

Yesterday the phone went into a cycle of endless restarts.  After investigation it seems to hang and restart when accessing the SIM card.  This behaviour continues despite numerous resets to factory conditions.  The phone behaves normally when I leave out the SIM card or put in a SIM card from a different network.  This suggest a software problem rather than something wrong with the hardware.

It's ironic that this new phone comes with the old Android 2.3.6 and can't be officially upgraded, yet my three year old 3GS has been upgraded to the current iOS 5.1.1 .

Using the Android phone has only helped to reinforce how good a job Apple is doing with iOS.

If there was a low end iPhone I'm sure Apple would sweep away Android.

The question is whether it's worth Apple's effort to do so.

I also wonder about this clamour for the large screen iPhone to compete with large screen iPhones.  I've been using mobiles for the past twenty years, the trend during that time was to make them smaller and smaller.  Case in point, my current iPhone is the size of the battery for my 1994 Nokia!

To me, a phone the size of the Galaxy Note seems to be going the wrong way.

I wonder how many people who call for large screens are using their smartphones as small tablets that make the occasional call, rather than as phones which can do other tasks!

• Reply 36 of 88

the galaxy s III is an ugly ass phone.

• Reply 37 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I identify with this post.  I decided to get a spare, cheap and cheerful prepaid Android phone to learn more about Android.  I went for the Samsung Galaxy Y.

Up till now it's been an okay experience but doesn't compare to the iPhone.  Furthermore there's the worry of installing a trojan from untrusted sources.

Yesterday the phone went into a cycle of endless restarts.  After investigation it seems to hang and restart when accessing the SIM card.  This behaviour continues despite numerous resets to factory conditions.  The phone behaves normally when I leave out the SIM card or put in a SIM card from a different network.  This suggest a software problem rather than something wrong with the hardware.

It's ironic that this new phone comes with the old Android 2.3.6 and can't be officially upgraded, yet my three year old 3GS has been upgraded to the current iOS 5.1.1 .

Using the Android phone has only helped to reinforce how good a job Apple is doing with iOS.

If there was a low end iPhone I'm sure Apple would sweep away Android.

The question is whether it's worth Apple's effort to do so.

I also wonder about this clamour for the large screen iPhone to compete with large screen iPhones.  I've been using mobiles for the past twenty years, the trend during that time was to make them smaller and smaller.  Case in point, my current iPhone is the size of the battery for my 1994 Nokia!

To me, a phone the size of the Galaxy Note seems to be going the wrong way.

I wonder how many people who call for large screens are using their smartphones as small tablets that make the occasional call, rather than as phones which can do other tasks!

Ask your operator for a new SIM; most likely the contacts are oxidized or damaged. Clearly it's NOT a software problem if it works with other SIMs.

You seem to be making the common mistake of judging Android only based on a cheap (in every sense) device. Besides, your worries of "installing a trojan from untrusted sources" are unwarranted, after all the phone will not go to those "untrusted sources" by itself while you're sleeping -- it's entirely in your control. A simple way to make it impossible to install from untrusted sources is to turn off the option in the settings.

As to screen size, you should hope that the device maker that you prefer will give you a choice of different sizes. I know for sure I don't have to worry about mine.

Cheers.

• Reply 38 of 88
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Are iPads included in this study?  If so, it explains why iOS share is up from March to April.

The table says 'smartphone market share'. I doubt if that includes the iPad.
    drdoppio wrote: »
    The title of this article is misleading. Given the sample size and a confidence level of 99%, we can expect a confidence interval of +/- 0.7 percentage points for Android's share. Therefore, fluctuations in the range of 0.2% are not statistically significant and cannot be used as the bases of any informed conclusion. With a sample of this size, and considering the small rate of change of market share, it is only meaningful to look at changes over longer time intervals.

Why in the world would you insist on 99% confidence interval? For most comparisons, 95% confidence level is sufficient - and the stated April results would be significant.

Of course, one month isn't particularly convincing, but it's disingenuous to use artificially high confidence levels to try to denigrate the results.
  • Reply 39 of 88

If one would assume a confidence level of 95%, the confidence interval is +/- 0.57%, rendering the 0.2% difference insignificant again. Even with a confidence level of 90% there's a +/- 0.47% interval, more than twice the estimated month-to-month difference. In fact, the only way for the reported "dip" for Android marketshare to be outside the confidence interval is if one accepts a confidence level close to 50%.

This article's title is complete BS and bait for nitwits who don't understand statistics. Next time the author may choose to flip a coin in order to determine if Android is losing share, and I don't expect the readers will mind.

• Reply 40 of 88
    drdoppio wrote: »
    If one would assume a confidence level of 95%, the confidence interval is +/- 0.57%, rendering the 0.2% difference insignificant again. Even with a confidence level of 90% there's a +/- 0.47% interval, more than twice the estimated month-to-month difference. In fact, the only way for the reported "dip" for Android marketshare to be outside the confidence interval is if one accepts a confidence level close to 50%.

This article's title is complete BS and bait for nitwits who don't understand statistics. Next time the author may choose to flip a coin in order to determine if Android is losing share, and I don't expect the readers will mind.

Speaking of nitwits who don't understand statistics, have you looked in a mirror lately?

Apple's share went up 0.7% in April and Android dropped 0.2%. That makes the net gain 0.9% - or about twice the 90% confidence interval.