Facebook iOS integration to be announced at WWDC, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Is all this Facebook negativity based on their IPO issue?

If it is, it's VASTLY misplaced. Facebook's real value has absolutely nothing to do with its stock price. 

Even if you're self-righteously against social networking, the fact still remains that it's a reality that Apple would be completely remiss in not addressing. The key is to make it both highly integrated and accessible in the OS, while keeping it as unintrusive as possible. It's certainly possible to have it both ways, and I don't doubt that Apple will be able to integrate it properly. 

• Reply 42 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is all this Facebook negativity based on their IPO issue?

If it is, it's VASTLY misplaced. Facebook's real value has absolutely nothing to do with its stock price. 

I've been negative to Facebook both before and after the catastrophic IPO. Do you own shares of FB or something? You sure seem to be defending FB an awful lot in this thread.

• Reply 43 of 80
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

This is a very poor decision by Apple and to me, simply scary.

It isn't remotely a poor decision. It's a very sensible decision by Apple, integrating the most popular social network into the most popular smartphone. It will be very useful to much of the user base - Facebook has mainstream leverage in a way that Twitter doesn't. I think you're projecting your own views of Facebook onto the issue a bit too much.

• Reply 44 of 80
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member

As long as there is the option to turn it off, then I'm ok. If not, I'll consider ditching the iPhone. My device shouldn't control me.

• Reply 45 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

As long as there is the option to turn it off, then I'm ok. If not, I'll consider ditching the iPhone. My device shouldn't control me.

It will be no different from the Twitter functionality already baked in. The problem comes in this crap showing up in popups and dropdowns even if you don't use the services.

• Reply 46 of 80
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

I guess you could just ignore it? I never use the Reading List feature, so I just ignore it when it comes up in dropdowns.

• Reply 47 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Ditto here...how is this good again? So every "friend" will now know which game or app I am using with those stupid FB-forced logins?

It's goor or bad depending on the individual. The reality is that facebook has hundreds of millions of users, is heavily used, and is not going anywhere. I doubt that Apple is ultra-excited about it, but the fact is they have little choice but to support deeper integration because of the massive userbase. I'm sure it will not be invasive if you don't want it to be, I know I'll have it turned off myself. 

• Reply 48 of 80
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

A new version of HyperCard that let you create web-based apps using HTML5 would be very cool.   With ties to iCloud.   Now that would be something useful.

You mean the new iBook authoring tool?

• Reply 49 of 80
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

SO many old farts on here afraid of Social Networking.

Well, it's here to stay.  Either evolve or get left behind.

• Reply 50 of 80
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Well, it's here to stay.  Either evolve or get left behind.

Some local asshat was claiming on another thread that Apple already had a social network... so I wonder what he'd think about a real social network coming to iOS...

• Reply 51 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Young fart here. Screw social networking. It's the embodiment of the degradation of actual, physical human relationships. It undermines the definition of the word 'friend'.

Quote:

Well, it's here to stay.

Just like love-ins, bell-bottom pants, grunge, and GeoCities.

All fads die.

• Reply 52 of 80
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Facebook integration is a logical, inevitable move.  I don't have access to any numbers, but I suspect the iOS FB app is the most used app across all iOS devices.  It makes sense to integrate the commonly used functions into iOS.

• Reply 53 of 80
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

I've not seen apps that require it, but there are many on-line news sites that require a Facebook account in order to make a comment on an article.  This is a trend that is growing.  Granted, not being able to comment on an article does not exactly rank with being deprived of water in Death Valley.  But unless the site has some deal worked with Facebook for data mining, why do they do this?

They do it because the average user can't be bothered to keep track of their login information for more than a couple favorite sites, so allowing users to log in through Facebook increases participation. The real question is why so many users are okay with Facebook tracking them not only on facebook.com but on all these other websites as well.

• Reply 54 of 80

Yeah, sonny. IU'm old (but not a fart thank you very much).  It is not fear of social networking itself.  I don't fear it because I don't use it.  What I DO "fear" is having data-mining built into the operating system of the devices I use. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't want their damned software on my computer. Nor do I tweet, nor am I on MySpace, or any other of these services.  I no longer use AOL or Yahoo instant messaging either; it lost its usefulness for me, so I just stopped.  I took the pertinent apps off my computers and went from there.  I also do not have cable service because I do not watch television.  

Notice that all of the above are easily eliminated from one's life, and one's computer where it applies.

If Cook builds Facebook into the operating system in a manner where I can't NOT have it, that becomes a whole new set of circumstances.  The on-screen switch in Preferences may SAY it is off, but, is it? I don't see FB, or AAPL for that matter, giving up a revenue source that easily.

• Reply 55 of 80

"...so allowing users to log in through Facebook increases participation."

Not "allow".  REQUIRE. 

• Reply 56 of 80
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Facebook is a virus. A very well-disguised virus, but a virus nonetheless. And it looks like it's going to infect Apple now.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Facebook integration is a logical, inevitable move.  I don't have access to any numbers, but I suspect the iOS FB app is the most used app across all iOS devices.  It makes sense to integrate the commonly used functions into iOS.

It might make sense for those who live in FB (like fb whores having 500+ friends, or whoever update their status every minute, or post pictures of their puppies, etc).

It does not make sense for me at all. 

How much more of valuable flash space iOS will take for FB dedicated functions that I will never use?

How many new FB-related menus will I see in the UI even though FB is going to be completely disabled? (Just like Tweet this, Tweet that even though I do not have twitter account).

• Reply 58 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Young fart here. Screw social networking. It's the embodiment of the degradation of actual, physical human relationships. It undermines the definition of the word 'friend'.

I concur. There's nothing social about social networking; by design it is to 'show the world what I have', be it your clean laundry or your dirty; it's only there to entice people to respond, to provoke.

Two people having dinner; one goes to the toilet, other one logs into FB. Girlfriend comes back from toilet, he shares with her that post number blabla was 'liked' by a friend. Discussion ends.

Wow. Facebook. Really a social thing. Communicating less as a result.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    [CODE]Hopefully developers will give a resounding 'Boo' when the announcement is made.
    Keep is as an app. It's easier to delete when Facebook goes south.[/CODE]
  • Reply 60 of 80
    We are not afraid of social networking, just don't want it embedded in the OS. When Facebook goes south (which it inevitably will) what happens then? You see it isn't just old folk who don't want it included, there are a lot of spritely young minds on this forum who don't want it either.
    keep it as an app!