Does the 4" screen on next iPhone infer that the next iPad will go widescreen as well?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Does the 4" screen on next iPhone infer that the next iPad will go widescreen as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

No. The iPad's for reading. 16:9 isn't a reading ratio. It's a horrible ratio for EVERYTHING but video.

• Reply 2 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. The iPad's for reading. 16:9 isn't a reading ratio. It's a horrible ratio for EVERYTHING but video.

I wish it was true that most people spent their time on the iPad reading, but it appears that people spend more time doing more multi-media stuff on it. Couldn't the screen just have fat  black borders for reading books and etc? If iPhone apps can be 2x's to fill in an iPad it would seem to indicate the iPad will go 16:9 with the next iteration. A slightly larger iPad means that it can go super slim again, and the whole 16:9 is just paving the way so all these apps will appear perfectly on Apple's widescreen TVs.

• Reply 3 of 16

Quote:

I wish it was true that most people spent their time on the iPad reading, but it appears that people spend more time doing more multi-media stuff on it. Couldn't the screen just have fat  black borders for reading books and etc? If iPhone apps can be 2x's to fill in an iPad it would seem to indicate the iPad will go 16:9 with the next iteration. 

Why? The iPhone is 3:2. The iPad is 4:3. There's no correlation now; why would there be later?

Have you seen 16:9 tablets? They look stupid. The proper term would probably be 'awkward'. Using them in portrait has to be weird.

Here's an excerpt from a 10.1" 16:9 tablet review:

Quote:

Holding it this way feels more like grasping a small app-ridden skateboard than the virtual book or magazine that the tablet form factor essentially emulates.

• Reply 4 of 16
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Text in books (sans margins) is usually closer to 15:10 or 16:10 than to 4:3. Children's books usually tend to be more squarish.

• Reply 5 of 16

All these iOS Apps will eventually need to be played/streamed on Apple's upcoming widescreen TV's so I think it's the direction everything is heading. What brand/model was that review of???

• Reply 6 of 16

Quote:

All these iOS Apps will eventually need to be played/streamed on Apple's upcoming widescreen TV's so I think it's the direction everything is heading. What brand/model was that review of???

They have no problem doing that now with 3:2 and 4:3… If there's AirPlay support, they build that part of the app for 16:9… or they don't. Big deal.

And Archos, I believe.

• Reply 7 of 16
    I do think Apple could pull off a 16:9 iPad and alter the frame a bit so it would seem less awkward than an Archos. Moving the home button, front facing camera, and dock to the wide portion of the tablet could allow the screen to be stretched without having to substantially increase the outer dimensions.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Text in books (sans margins) is usually closer to 15:10 or 16:10 than to 4:3. Children's books usually tend to be more squarish.

Here's an example:

• Reply 9 of 16

Quote:

Moving the home button, front facing camera, and dock to the wide portion of the tablet could allow the screen to be stretched without having to substantially increase the outer dimensions.

Going against their hardware designs for every other mobile product they make… :we_don't_have_one_when_they_work,_but_here's_a_"Why, why, why?!"_image.gif:

• Reply 10 of 16
    ha! Its crazy to think that the current iPad ratio is perfect and Apple is not going to eventually change it to put it in line with their new macs, new TVs, and new iPhones.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

Quote:

16:9 isn't a reading ratio. It's a horrible ratio for EVERYTHING but video.

I'm perplexed by this. Care to explain further (other than a review)?  

The technology luddite that sees Airplay mirroring in action asks why the iPad doesn't go widescreen on their TV.  You start to explain aspect ratios & their eyes glaze over.  On the computer side, Mountain Lion is bringing the Airplay Mirroring to the Mac.  The only Macs that haven't gone 16:9 are the 13" MacBook Air & the MacBook Pro line.  In the case of the MacBook Pro, a re-design is probable, which may bring 16:9 displays.  Given Apple's current product strategy, transitioning everything to a 16:9 format seems like a logical move.

• Reply 12 of 16
    Since its obvious that Apple will go retina 16:9 on all their devices at some point, the next question is where do they go after that. Sure, there are always improvements to color and contrast on the screen, but outside of adding (non-glasses) 3D functionality or flexible screens, I think the form/function of their designs have reached their near peak.
  • Reply 13 of 16

Quote:

Since its obvious that Apple will go retina 16:9 on all their devices at some point… 

Hardly.

Quote:

the next question is where do they go after that.

Vector GUI.

Quote:

I think the form/function of their designs have reached their near peak.

For the current paradigm, sure.

• Reply 14 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

This is garbage! 16:9 is good for many things. In the case of reading it is actually a better fit for magazines and newspapers where text appears in columns. Even well done web sights put their content into columns.

Now don't get me wrong there are good reasons for iPads current aspect ratio. I also see Apple staying with that ratio for a very long time. However to call 16:9 horrible for everything is a grave mistake in judgement.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Tallest,
    Wouldn't the proper implementation of 3D be the very thing that paves the way for vector-GUI?
  • Reply 16 of 16

Quote:

Wouldn't the proper implementation of 3D be the very thing that paves the way for vector-GUI?

Mmm… not really. They can easily be independent of one another. Getting a vector GUI done right would be the first priority, I'd think, if everything was moving 3D, not the other way around.

But I don't see 3D happening in any capacity, even autostereoscopic. When you try to give a 3D UX to a 2D plane, it doesn't work the best, even if the means of interaction is multitouch.