Final countdown begins with 30 days until Apple shutters MobileMe

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Can you upgrade to Lion and run SL and canvas in virtualization? 

• Reply 22 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlife2 View Post

Any recommendations for a hosting service?

There are tons and many are good. I was with iWeb which was recently taken over, or morphed into someone called Funio - so far so good. I like the simplicity http://funio.com/web-hosting. Worth a try.

• Reply 23 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

FYI, for those missing the MobileMe Gallery feature, DropBox has an nice gallery feature with easy sharing options. 

• Reply 24 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can use iCloud mail, contacts, and calendars with Snow Leopard and any previous version of OS X and iOS… 

Not quite true (unless you are talking web browser access, which I assume you aren't). Apple provides instructions for setting up iCloud in Mail in Snow Leopard, but that is the only application of the three you listed which Apple supports for connecting to iCloud from SL. (it's been a couple of months since I last checked, but pretty sure that's still the case).

There's a relatively easy work-around (ie, a hack) to get iCal to sync, but there's no guarantee that will continue to work. Apple could easily change their server addresses or settings and push out the update to Lion users via the iCloud System Preference (just like Snow Leopard used to work until they funked it up last year). SL users would need to figure out the new settings and manually update their iCal to get it to work again. Or you could buy BusyCal which will sync to either MobileMe or iCloud. (Which begs the question, if a tiny company like that can make it work, why can't Apple? The post above claiming Apple's "limited resources" is complete nonsense.)

As far as I have been able to find, there are no good alternatives to sync Address Book to iCloud. In fact, the MobileMe-to-iCloud migration instructions from Apple says very clearly that your contacts will NOT be migrated to iCloud from MobileMe. You have to sync them from your own devices after the migration. So you are simply out of luck there, especially if you don't have Lion or an iOS device because there will be no way for you to get your contacts into iCloud.

It's really quite pathetic that with Apple's huge resources that they can't create an iCloud System Preference to replace the MobileMe System Preference in Snow Leopard. I have to believe that it would be trivial, both financially and technically, for a company with Apple's resources to do it. The only reason not to is to use iCloud as a stick to get people to upgrade to Lion. It's their company and their business decision to make, but it's a pretty good indicator of how they view their customers...as sheep to be herded.

Ironic considering that the Mac line of computers was introduced to the world by the "1984" Superbowl ad.

• Reply 25 of 40
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nothing personal but these customers are idiots and deserve whatever loss of data occurs.  It's been over a year (1.5?) at least since this was announced and every single person has received multiple emails over the intervening months with links to guides on what's going to happen and what to do about it etc. I know I have.  They should have moved their stuff a long long time ago.  

AppleWorks was "end of lifed" man, many years ago now.  Anyone still using it who hasn't converted their files is simply crazy IMO.  

It's the equivalent of being a Windows user, still using Windows 95 and CorelDraw 3.0 and signing on to AOL everyday to get the weather forecast.  

Edit: Also, the *oldest* MacPro there is came out *after* AppleWorks was retired for good. So it's really nothing like the Mac Pro situation at all.

Sure it's been well over a year that we've known of MobileMe's disappearance but if you've been around Apple for any time you will know that they will make last minute changes to their announcements. So if it's working well for you don't change, that's why my family is still using legacy equipment. Not everyone has the luxury of updating their hardware and software every three years.

As to still using AppleWorks it's the most simplistic workgroup program since Microsoft Works of the 90s you can create word processing documents and easily incorporate drawings and spreadsheets. Most modern day word processors are overly complicated and need a degree or at least training to use adequately. So the comment above still applies "if it's working well for you don't change".

• Reply 26 of 40
    cbumcbum Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Can you upgrade to Lion and run SL and canvas in virtualization? 

Yes, that's in fact what I'm going to do.

Problem until recently was that you needed SL SERVER to install in the virtual machine because Apple forbade installing the regular OS in a virtual machine (before Lion).

SL SERVER is $500! 

I have heard the server requirement is now waved, but have not tried that yet.

• Reply 27 of 40
    chiachia Posts: 713member

I migrated to iCloud a few months ago but my MobileMe account was still active in parallel.

I compared my calendar and contact entries between the MobileMe and iCloud sites, to make sure all was going smoothly.

I have now logged in to MobileMe for one more nostalgic look, only to find that access to contacts, calendar and email are no longer available.  There is a button now directing the user to iCloud.com for those options.

Only iDisk and the Gallery are now available through the MobileMe website.

Hopefully those who haven't already migrated to iCloud are still able to access their contacts, calendars and emails via MobileMe till June 30.

• Reply 28 of 40
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

As to still using AppleWorks it's the most simplistic workgroup program since Microsoft Works of the 90s you can create word processing documents and easily incorporate drawings and spreadsheets. Most modern day word processors are overly complicated and need a degree or at least training to use adequately. So the comment above still applies "if it's working well for you don't change".

Oh please, do yourself a favour and download LibreOffice, OpenOffice or IBM Lotus Symphony for free.

Even Google Docs online offers more than ten year old Appleworks.

I speak as somebody who made extensive use of Appleworks from the mid-nineties right up to about 2003.

To live is to change, or we'll still all be babies now.

• Reply 29 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    jetlife2 wrote: »
    I moved almost all of my idisk content to Dropbox and I love it. It just works. In fact, from the Finder, it is much faster than idisk ever was, and I love the ios and Windows sync . I even use it for my offline storage for some Backup needs. With a few referrals I was able to get my Dropbox up to enough free space for my needs.

For mail I migrated to Mail.app successfully using these instructions:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudmail.html

and it worked without a hitch (I am on SL). I retained my .mac email address and it works fine.

So that leaves me with just one unfilled need: web hosting. I wish I could host direct from my Dropbox folder, then I would be in great shape.

Any recommendations for a hosting service?

So far I am not missing mobileme at all, but this is the last gap to plug.

Thanks

I switched to Dropbox a few months ago after using iDisk for years after I realized Apple was not going to continue it. I absolutely love it. Where iDisk was dog-slow, Dropbox is very fast and solid. I won't miss iDisk. I would prefer to have Apple's name behind the service though.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

That's a little too pessimistic, isn't it?

Not necessarily.

It's well known that Apple implement a standard three month shelf life for almost all of their products.

Anybody remember the great WWDC fiasco of 1864, when they introduced Mac OS 1.3 Hopping Bunny at the start of the conference, only to announce it's retirement at conference end?

It's no secret that Apple's well-known for it's shoddy customer service, and unwillingness to adopt new technologies that may help them.

• Reply 31 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Sure it's been well over a year that we've known of MobileMe's disappearance but if you've been around Apple for any time you will know that they will make last minute changes to their announcements. So if it's working well for you don't change, that's why my family is still using legacy equipment. Not everyone has the luxury of updating their hardware and software every three years.

Well, I was a bit overly strident in my response I guess, and I apologise for that, but seriously .. I have had so many email notifications and warnings about this over the last year as I'm sure all MobilMe members have.  Everyone has known for ages this was going to happen.  

Once Apple makes up their mind about stuff like this they rarely if ever change it.  Those hanging on to the past in hopes that they will somehow keep aspects of MobileMe alive are dreaming the impossible dream IMO.  

As for Appleworks, it was a great suite, and I used it myself extensively.  Users of it will remember though that it was completely discontinued a long time ago.  iWorks was then introduced as a replacement and even *after* that, Apple went out of their way to re-introduce a new fully working copy of the old Appleworks suite for OS X specifically to ease the transition to iWorks.  So in fact they have "brought it back frorn the dead" once already.  They then discontinued it again, and that move was itself years and years ago now.  

Other than the drawings part, iWork is exactly that simple suite of apps that Appleworks always aspired to be.  The word processor (Pages) puts Microsoft Word to shame IMO.  It has 90% of the features, but is a million times simpler and more intuitive to use (once you get used to it).  

IMO the adage of "if it's working well for you, don't change" doesn't apply very well when it comes to computers unfortunately.  Computers and computer software change so rapidly that those that don't keep up just get left behind.  

Some days, I still wish I had my old 286 and Word 5.5 for DOS which was probably one of the best word processors I've ever used.  But Pages on the iPad is a fantastic thing as well and running neck and neck at the moment, at least in my view. 

• Reply 32 of 40

Quote:

That's a little too pessimistic, isn't it?

Given they have gone from .Mac to MobileMe to the iCloud farce in less than, what? Six or so years?  I'd be pessimistic, too.  I liked MobileMe.  It did just fine for me, and provided the functionality I needed. iDisk allowed me to store any and all files.  iCloud will only store "i"-files. iTunes Match is, in my experience, a farce.

I also predict that iCloud will be abandoned for The Next Big Thing Apple comes up with.  Three years tops.  As soon as I figure out a way to do it, I will transition away from iCloud and find alternatives that are either going to be around for a while, or work in a way that will make further transitions easier.

• Reply 33 of 40
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

Given they have gone from .Mac to MobileMe to the iCloud farce in less than, what? Six or so years?  I'd be pessimistic, too.  I liked MobileMe.  It did just fine for me, and provided the functionality I needed. iDisk allowed me to store any and all files.  iCloud will only store "i"-files. iTunes Match is, in my experience, a farce.

I also predict that iCloud will be abandoned for The Next Big Thing Apple comes up with.  Three years tops.  As soon as I figure out a way to do it, I will transition away from iCloud and find alternatives that are either going to be around for a while, or work in a way that will make further transitions easier.

While I share your concern on the average lifespan of Apple's various "cloud strategies".  I don't think there is a service you can pick today and honestly say they will be around in another three years.  This whole cloud thing is still in its infancy, even the great Microsoft can't put together a package capable of lasting more than a few years without tearing it down and trying something else.  If you stick with Apple there will be at least some upgrade path.  We might not all like it, I too will miss iDisk, Photo Galleries, and yes even iWeb, but I'm not going to trust anyone else with my most sensitive data besides Apple at this stage of the game.

• Reply 34 of 40
    jbanksjbanks Posts: 5member

wow... i wonder how long it will take to delete all that data! i just started using iCloud - brilliant... finally a cloud storage service that's super easy to use.

• Reply 35 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

I'm on Snow Leopard. Would it really kill Apple to delay this switchover till Mountain Lion is available?

Do I really need to upgrade to Lion and then upgrade my OS again in a month?

• Reply 36 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    frank777 wrote: »
    Do I really need to upgrade to Lion and then upgrade my OS again in a month?

No. You can use iCloud mail, contacts, and calendars in Snow Leopard (and any earlier OS, really).
  • Reply 37 of 40

Quote:

No. You can use iCloud mail, contacts, and calendars in Snow Leopard (and any earlier OS, really).

Unless you are talking about the web-based versions of Mail, Address Book, and iCal, this is not entirely true. And the web versions are poor substitues for the desktop apps (in my opinion...there's simply too many limitations).

Mail, yes, Apple supports iCloud use in Snow Leopard. Contacts and calendars are not supported in Snow Leopard. Calendars you can get by either a hack or by a 3rd party tool such as BusyCal. Contacts, you are pretty much out of luck (there are one or two expensive 3rd party tools that claim they can do it). In fact, for contacts, unless you have either a Lion Mac or an iOS device, there's not even a way to get your contacts into iCloud in the first place. If you only have a Snow Leopard Mac, Apple says there is no way to get your contacts from Address Book and into iCloud. You first have to sync them all to a Lion Mac or iOS device, set up iCloud, and then sync the contacts frmo the Lion Mac or iOS device. (If you have either a Lion Mac or iOS device, you may not even have noticed that's how your contacts got to iCloud, but that's how Apple says they get there.)

• Reply 38 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Wiggin" url="/t/150425/final-countdown-begins-with-30-days-until-apple-shutters-mobileme#post_2131249"]Unless you are talking about the web-based versions of Mail, Address Book, and iCal, this is not entirely true.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the actual applications in OS X.

[QUOTE]Contacts and calendars are not supported in Snow Leopard. Calendars you can get by either a hack or by a 3rd party tool such as BusyCal. Contacts, you are pretty much out of luck (there are one or two expensive 3rd party tools that claim they can do it).[/QUOTE]

You can't point it to the servers directly?
  • Reply 39 of 40

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Unless you are talking about the web-based versions of Mail, Address Book, and iCal, this is not entirely true.

Nope, the actual applications in OS X.

Quote:

Contacts and calendars are not supported in Snow Leopard. Calendars you can get by either a hack or by a 3rd party tool such as BusyCal. Contacts, you are pretty much out of luck (there are one or two expensive 3rd party tools that claim they can do it).

You can't point it to the servers directly?

For calendars, you can. But you first have to figure out the right server for your iCloud account. Perhaps someone's figured out an automated way, but last I checked you had to first figure out your server (it's not the same for everyone) an then manually configure the CalDAV account in iCal. Calling it a "hack" may be an exaggeration, but it's certainly not something I'd have my Mom try to figure out on her own. :)

Here's a link with the instructions to find your server. And there's no guarantee the server won't change. That's the type of thing the iCloud system preference (and the MobileMe system preference) take care of managing for you. The system preference ensures the account settings in iCal, AddressBook, etc are current.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20111014102515403

The sad thing is that the 3rd party calendar app, BusyCal, only requires to know your iClound account info, and even on Snow Leopard (and earlier I believe) systems it's able to sync your calendars with iCloud. It also keeps the calendar sync database on your Mac current so things like iTunes (syncing to your iPod, etc), Bento, etc, all still have access to your calendar data. So if BusyCal can do it, why can't a company with $100B in the bank support it on Snow Leopard?

As for contacts, I have yet to find a solution/work-around, or an explaination of what Apple changed with contacts in iCloud that makes them so incompatible with Snow Leopard. If you are migrating MobileMe to iCloud, Apple's instructions very clearly warn you to make sure you contacts are current on your Lion Mac or your iOS device before you begin the migration process because they are unable migrate your contacts from the MobileMe cloud to the iCloud cloud (they do migrate your mail and calendar from cloud-to-cloud, but for some reason not contacts). After your MM-to-iCloud migration, then your contacts must sync from your Lion Mac or iOS device in order to get them into iCloud. If you don't have either of those things, it appears there is no way to get your contacts into iCloud.

And even if you have either a Lion Mac or iOS device to get contacts into iCloud, I've seen nothing reliable to get them to sync to Address Book in Snow Leopard. I've seen a couple of .plist hacks, but nothing that inspires confidence that it would work reliably.

• Reply 40 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Okay, so it's crunch time with this stupid forced migration.

If I do upgrade to Lion (just to save me the hassle of manually configuring stuff), do I get Mountain Lion for free next month?

The Mac App Store doesn't say anything about that. Is that deal only for those purchasing Lion with hardware?