E3 2012: Valve's Counter-Strike: Global Offensive comes to Mac Aug. 21

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The sequel to one of the most popular competitive PC games of all time, Counter-Strike, will arrive on the same day for both Mac and Windows when it launches later this year: August 21.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will arrive on OS X as well as Windows, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade for $15, developer Valve announced on Monday. The new Counter-Strike will be made available for sale through Valve's Steam platform on both Mac and Windows.

The sequel to Counter-Strike features new maps, characters and weapons, and also delivers updated versions of classic Counter-Strike content like the map "de_dust." Global Offensive will also introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leaderboards and more.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive was developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. It is playable at this week's Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, Calif.

Valve first announced last August that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive would debut on Apple's Mac platform alongside Windows. The original Counter-Strike and an updated version using Valve's "Source" engine remains one of the most popular online games nearly 13 years after it launched in 1999.

Counter-Strike

Games for Mac received a major shot in the arm in 2010, when Valve launched its Steam platform on OS X. Among the titles that came to the Mac on Steam was Counter-Strike: Source, as well as Team Fortress 2, Portal, and the Half-Life series.

Apple also hopes to improve the gaming experience on Mac with the launch of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion this summer. With Mountain Lion, gamers will be able to play cross-platform titles online between Mac and iOS, thanks to the arrival of Game Center on Mac.

Apple's Game Center social networking service will also allow users to keep track of games played by themselves and their friends. Users will be able to compare achievements, and challenge others to an online matchup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Valve just cannot count to three, can they? image

• Reply 2 of 20
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Valve just cannot count to three, can they? image

So annoying.  While I am sure this game has it's audience, we all know what many people want to hear about.  

• Reply 3 of 20
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

The big question is, will it run on my MBA 11"?   Another thing that would be awesome is if it runs on the iPad with AirPlay.

• Reply 4 of 20
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Cute...a popular game coming to the MAC.....Don't see that very often

Kind of ironic that in all those "i'm a mac, i'm a PC" ads that the mac is the cool hip one yet the MAC is the platform with no good games. Imagine to this day still no COD on MAC, incredible. 

• Reply 5 of 20
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Kind of ironic that in all those "i'm a mac, i'm a PC" ads that the mac is the cool hip one yet the MAC is the platform with no good games. Imagine to this day still no COD on MAC, incredible. 

They do have CoD4: MW. Although its a terrible terrible port. The only halfway decent games are what comes from Steam (very few) and whatever Blizzard makes, although Diablo III runs far worse on OS X than on WIndows on the same hardware unfortunately. 

• Reply 6 of 20
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Maybe in 18 months when Apple ships real video drivers this might actually be worth playing. As it sits, there is literally no reason to play any FPS games in OS X, booting into Windows 7 is the only way to actually play a game with enough performance to be satisfying. I really wish Apple would quit with the OEM BS and stop flagging my MBP as not being allowed to install drivers. Installing graphics drivers in Windows 7 is a huge pain in the ass and the only drivers that Apple ship with BootCamp updates are easily 12 months out of date when they do. They'll never be serious about gaming until they stop that.

• Reply 7 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Maybe in 18 months when Apple ships real video drivers this might actually be worth playing. As it sits, there is literally no reason to play any FPS games in OS X, booting into Windows 7 is the only way to actually play a game with enough performance to be satisfying. I really wish Apple would quit with the OEM BS and stop flagging my MBP as not being allowed to install drivers. Installing graphics drivers in Windows 7 is a huge pain in the ass and the only drivers that Apple ship with BootCamp updates are easily 12 months out of date when they do. They'll never be serious about gaming until they stop that.

actually, they just want you to quit playing big budget games where they don't get their 30% and want you to strictlty play iOS games. Its about money. 

Why play MW3 when you can play cut the rope?

• Reply 8 of 20
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 are all in the app store.

-kpluck

• Reply 9 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4 are all in the app store.

-kpluck

Sweet.........now what about MW3, BO, MW2 ?????

You know....the ones people actually still play?

Its no getting around to releasing MW2 on MAc when PC is getting Black Ops 2, as teh COD release cycle on MAC appears

• Reply 10 of 20

Quote:

Sweet.........now what about MW3, BO, MW2 ?????

They're all the same game, anyway. Regenerating health, four hits and you're dead, red jelly on the screen when you get hit, run here, shoot this, run there, shoot that. It's the same cookie-cutter game repeated ten times across different publishers with different names for capture the flag. There's no working wink emoticon to show my lightheartedness, but I'm also not joking about this, so imagine one here only if you wish.

It's on the publishers to make Mac versions, not Apple. 

• Reply 11 of 20
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I really wish they would incorporate destructible environments. It would make things so much more creative.
  • Reply 12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I really wish they would incorporate destructible environments. It would make things so much more creative.

That'd be great in any game, you know? Worms 3D YEARS ago managed to have fully destructible environments, viewable from any angle. How hard could it possibly be to have a building go up in smoke, disintegrating under sustained fire of an entire company trying to get at the terrorists (or Russians/European Union forces/Chinese/whoever the US is fighting in whatever game this is) within?

That's another of my biggest problems with games in general these days: breaking my suspension of disbelief. Even the games designed to be unrealistic do this! Shoot a gun at a wall enough times, you're going to tear a hole in the wall. That's understandable. Throw a grenade or shoot a rocket at a wall, that wall's coming down. So when I chuck 20 grenades at the wall of a shack and nothing happens, it gets a little silly. Or in a game where you have superpowers (or are driving around in a car) but can't manage to uproot or damage a tree or telephone pole because it's a static object…

• Reply 13 of 20
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

BF3 has destructible environments

• Reply 14 of 20

Quote:

That'd be great in any game, you know? Worms 3D YEARS ago managed to have fully destructible environments, viewable from any angle. How hard could it possibly be to have a building go up in smoke, disintegrating under sustained fire of an entire company trying to get at the terrorists (or Russians/European Union forces/Chinese/whoever the US is fighting in whatever game this is) within?

That's another of my biggest problems with games in general these days: breaking my suspension of disbelief. Even the games designed to be unrealistic do this! Shoot a gun at a wall enough times, you're going to tear a hole in the wall. That's understandable. Throw a grenade or shoot a rocket at a wall, that wall's coming down. So when I chuck 20 grenades at the wall of a shack and nothing happens, it gets a little silly. Or in a game where you have superpowers (or are driving around in a car) but can't manage to uproot or damage a tree or telephone pole because it's a static object…

On paper having fully destructible environments sounds good but in reality its not practical nor is it fun depending on what type of game you're playing. Some games build their core around this concept and some great games have been made because of it. 

Anyways in a shooter/fps having everything collapsing around seems cool, until you have no cover and just get repeatedly spawn killed. In games like Battlefield 3/MW3 jets and kill streaks would completely level the map in mere minutes. EA tried this with Bad Company 2 and they thankfully got it right with BF3 and toned it down a bit.  

Now in games like Grand Theft Auto and The Elder Scrolls this would be a wonderful addition but massive worlds with a fully destructible enviroment means having to keep up with every little knick that one does to a surface. Im sure on a PC it could be done but on consoles the hardware is too limited to do such things (i.e. lacking RAM) 

Also would it truthfully be fun to deal with a dragon attacking a town and completely destroy it? Its already a pain in the ass in Skyrim when a dragon just swoops out the sky and starts offing NPCs, in the grand scheme of things i dont think its something many people would enjoy, especially if so much important stuff can be wiped out. 

• Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifail View Post

…massive worlds with a fully destructible environment means having to keep up with every little knick that one does to a surface. Im sure on a PC it could be done but on consoles the hardware is too limited to do such things (i.e. lacking RAM) 

Why should my games be gimped by five year old hardware? Screw consoles. Build a computer version first and then remove from it what consoles cannot handle.

I appreciate the ideas that consoles can embody, there's just only one company doing it right by any stretch of the imagination, and that's Nintendo.

They create their own hardware because they don't want their games and gaming ideas limited by software. Sony and Microsoft, more and more, simply have games designed to be ported everywhere else, which ruins the games because they're self-limited to whatever the weakest hardware is.

Quote:

Also would it truthfully be fun to deal with a dragon attacking a town and completely destroy it?

Yes. Because that's what a dragon would do. Or an invading alien force. Or a first-world country glassing a backwater upstart.

Quote:

…starts offing NPCs, in the grand scheme of things i don't think its something many people would enjoy, especially if so much important stuff can be wiped out.

And somehow games are supposed to be unrealistic in this regard? Towns can be rebuilt, you know. image And NPCs can be designated unkillable so as not to disrupt the plot.

I would GREATLY appreciate the increased sense of immersion and an actual sense of urgency. "If I don't take this monster down, he's going to destroy the city, and it'll take forever to rebuild. I better take care of this FAST if I want to beat the game."

• Reply 16 of 20

Quote:

Why should my games be gimped by five year old hardware? Screw consoles. Build a computer version first and then remove from it what consoles cannot handle.

I appreciate the ideas that consoles can embody, there's just only one company doing it right by any stretch of the imagination, and that's Nintendo.

They create their own hardware because they don't want their games and gaming ideas limited by software. Sony and Microsoft, more and more, simply have games designed to be ported everywhere else, which ruins the games because they're self-limited to whatever the weakest hardware is.

Yes. Because that's what a dragon would do. Or an invading alien force. Or a first-world country glassing a backwater upstart.

And somehow games are supposed to be unrealistic in this regard? Towns can be rebuilt, you know. image And NPCs can be designated unkillable so as not to disrupt the plot.

I would GREATLY appreciate the increased sense of immersion and an actual sense of urgency. "If I don't take this monster down, he's going to destroy the city, and it'll take forever to rebuild. I better take care of this FAST if I want to beat the game."

Because the vast majority of gaming revenue is coming from consoles, so they get the highest priority from the majority of developers. Very few developers really go above and beyond (if bothering at all for a PC port) for a very small segment of the gaming market, unless the game is directly made for PC gaming like MMOs or FPS per se. 

I do see how some people might like the destruction of everything in something but that would be something more tailored towards a hardcore mode of gameplay (idk if Skyrim has it, i know Fallout does), and if that were the case would developers spend the resources on developing an engine many might not enjoy unless they were on some high difficulty? 

Anyways with the next round of hardware we'll see the bar raised for gaming capabilities, and things like this might very well be possible. 

• Reply 17 of 20
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

There's plenty of great indie games available on Steam for Mac. Check out the Humble Indie bundle for a start.

But, yes, you aren't going to get most blockbusters on OSX. OpenGL (especially the version delivered by Apple) just isn't competitive with Direct3D. That becomes very obvious when you play Valve's games on a Mac.

• Reply 18 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

They have partially destructible environmments in Battlefield:

Red Faction goes further but Volition explained why it's hard to do. They have to think like architects and how to give the building materials the right weight and structure. They said they found it hard to keep the buildings from falling down all by themselves.

They seem to have focused on this aspect quite a lot but ended up making a very dull game so that's the risk they run implementing truly destructible enviroments.

People keep waiting on Valve to do something amazing but even the later HL episodes weren't great as they were too short. Portal 2 was ok but very much like the first one. I think they prefer games like Counter-strike where people keep playing again and again. With story-driven games, you play it a couple of times at most and it's harder to have in-game purchase like in Team Fortress:

http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/

Valve makes real money just from modelling another hat or weapon.
  • Reply 19 of 20

cs:go is actually the 5th counter-strike game

list is

counter-strike: 1.6

counter-strike: condition-zero

counter-strike: online

source

global offensive 

• Reply 20 of 20
    ikirikir Posts: 127member

I don't agree with all that "you can't play on Mac", i play many games, most of them modern 3D games on my Mac. I was a clan leader years ago, all my friends play on Mac. Lion is much more faster in 3D than Snow Leopard and Moutain Lion promise to be faster with the next releases. In the last 2-3 years we seen a boost in  AAA titles for Mac and also Apple included better gfx card on base mac models.

Sure a lot of work still is needed but we are on the right track about gaming.