E3 2012: Microsoft SmartGlass connects Xbox to iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Microsoft on Monday unveiled a competitor to Apple's AirPlay: SmartGlass, a new feature tied to its Xbox 360 game console that connect to Apple's iPhone and iPad to enhance content watching and game playing.

Xbox SmartGlass was unveiled by Microsoft at its media briefing at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, Calif. The new cross-platform functionality will come to Apple's iOS, as well as Google Android and Microsoft Windows Phone and Windows 8, later this year.

Microsoft showed off how content being played on the Xbox 360 could be complemented by additional content on a tablet like an iPad. In one demonstration, a user watching "Game of Thrones" on the HBO Go application had the show streaming to their HDTV, while an interactive map of the fictional world was displayed on a tablet and was updated in real-time, synced with the program.

In another demonstration, Microsoft showed a new version of its Internet Explorer Web browser for Xbox 360, and how that browser can be controlled by a smartphone, like Apple's iPhone. Calling the smartphone "the world's best remote control," Microsoft showed how SmartGlass will allow users to take control of their Xbox and browse the Web.

SmartGlass functionality will also enhance games such as "Madden NFL" from EA Sports. One video showed an iPad-like tablet being used to select plays and even draw up new ones that can be utilized in the game on Xbox 360.

SmartGlass

Microsoft's Xbox SmartGlass can also be used much like Apple's AirPlay feature built into iOS, which allows users to stream content from their iPhone or iPad to an Apple TV set-top box. With SmartGlass, users will be able to stream movies from an iPhone or iPad to their Xbox 360, presumably using a Microsoft-built iOS application. The same functionality will also be available on Android, Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Microsoft also on Monday showed off a new version of the Nike+ fitness application, built for its Kinect motion control accessory. Nike has had a partnership with Apple for its Nike+ fitness applications on iPod and iPhone for years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This is actually pretty cool. Microsoft must have hired someone with a bit of creativity.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I was just discussing the evolution of AirPlay just last week. I hope Apple introduces more APIs that make it easier and more seamless for app developers to integrate across multiple screens.

PS: Now that House, M.D. is over can we please have all stories about an Apple HDTV use a different image? I vote for Daenerys Targaryen for every AI article, regardless of the topic.

jragosta wrote: »
    This is actually pretty cool. Microsoft must have hired someone with a bit of creativity.
    They are doing some great stuff. While I think it was foolish of them to create WinPh7 with WinCE just to move to the NT foundation for WinPh8 thus destroying their development base but I am impressed that they are able to finally follow Apple in that regard.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    superjunaidsuperjunaid Posts: 104member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They are doing some great stuff. While I think it was foolish of them to create WinPh7 with WinCE just to move to the NT foundation for WinPh8 thus destroying their development base but I am impressed that they are able to finally follow Apple in that regard.

They are definitely doing a lot of revamping of platforms and making it even more complimentary rather than competitive products. Xbox 3560 is the horse that they're going to ride into the horizon and Windows 8 riding on its laurels bringing the experience to all desktops, phones, tablets and other similar devices. I'm very happy for Microsoft!.

• Reply 4 of 44

If apple approves this app.  It took them forever to approve Google Voice.  They can delay this long enough to straighten out their airplay strategy.

• Reply 5 of 44
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

This is why the Xbox is at the heap of the console market, and this is why they arent in a rush to pump out a new system. 

If Apple ever wanted to be in the console market, they would have some massive work cut out for them. 

• Reply 6 of 44
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

MS just found a way to make people use Bing on their android phones

Larry must be livid right now

• Reply 7 of 44

Airplay itself a clone of DNLA

• Reply 8 of 44

Airplay itself a clone of DNLA

• Reply 9 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

If apple approves this app.  It took them forever to approve Google Voice.  They can delay this long enough to straighten out their airplay strategy.

Where's your evidence that this was done with malicious intent?

• Reply 10 of 44
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    jragosta wrote: »

Agreed the concept is cool, but I seriously doubt the functionality and execution will live up to a streamline apple "air play" like experience.

You probable have to have the Microsoft app installed on all devices and running the programs or movies you like.

I hope it does work, but if it it isn't a smooth easy interface that "just works" then its not really doing justice to the concept.

I have a feeling it will work flawlessly with Microsoft products and devices but will be a bit of a hassle on other companies devices.

But it's a step in the right direction and I commend them for putting forth this effort.

We all long for the day where it doesn't matter what product you own, they will all work and communicate seamlessly together.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jini shans wrote: »
    <span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';line-height:normal;">Airplay itself a clone of DNLA</span>

Minus the hassles of DLNA. I've gotten AirPlay to work pretty quickly. The process to get DLNA working is longer.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Agreed - I would assume that a lot of people have a mix of technologies in their homes.  I know I have an XBOX, a Windows Home Server and then Apple products like an IPad, Apple TV and a couple of MacBooks.  It'd be nice to have the content available on all devices rather than be locked down to Apple or M$.

• Reply 13 of 44
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member

Actually there have always been a lot of creative, open-minded, and revolutionary projects at Microsoft.  I have a brother-in-law that has worked at Microsoft in Redmond for the past 15 some-odd years, and periodically he's taken me into his project lab to show some of the things they're working on (obviously nothing secret enough he'd get fired for bringing me in).  The problem has never been innovation or creativity ... the REAL problem with Microsoft has always been the upper management.  He'd bring me in, and show me all this cool stuff they were working on, and it would just blow me away.  "Why isn't Microsoft releasing this stuff!?!" I'd ask him.  Believe you me ... it has driven my brother-in-law CRAZY over the years ... they work on a project, get everything worked out (for the most part), everyone is excited about it, then they present it to the upper management and it gets shot down.  Of course, what usually happens is some other company either concurrently, or at a later date, develops something similar and releases it ... usually making quite a bit of money in the process.  

Personally, I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but I think most of that has to do with their corporate culture and how that influences their products ... I will admit, however, Microsoft is sitting on a treasure trove of talent and skill, and that if they got the right person in there to steer things in the right direction they could really start tearing things up.  The chances of that happening though ... not very likely ... at least as long a Balmer and most of the current senior management remains where it is.  

• Reply 14 of 44
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member

"Microsoft also on Monday showed off a new version of the Nike+ fitness application, built for its Kinect motion control accessory. Nike has had a partnership with Apple for its Nike+ fitness applications on iPod and iPhone for years."

You get a chip for your shoe, and for the Kinect, a reeealy long cord, and then you run...

It's indeed "cool for Microsoft".  Ticking through the list of what this can do, it's a lot of Sea Monkeys.  ABC already has apps that sync with broadcast content, and the iPhone is already a nifty remote for lotsa things.  And they are following AirPlay well.  The thing their ecosystem has that Apple doesn't (now where did I put that Pippin...) is a dedicated game console, which may or may not be the way to continue, given how good a lot of other things are now at playing impressive games.  

I wish them luck.  But "SmartGlass"?  What were the rejected brands?

• Reply 15 of 44
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Origimnally Posted by jpellino View Post

"Microsoft also on Monday showed off a new version of the Nike+ fitness application, built for its Kinect motion control accessory. Nike has had a partnership with Apple for its Nike+ fitness applications on iPod and iPhone for years."

You get a chip for your shoe, and for the Kinect, a reeealy long cord, and then you run...

It's indeed "cool for Microsoft".  Ticking through the list of what this can do, it's a lot of Sea Monkeys.  ABC already has apps that sync with broadcast content, and the iPhone is already a nifty remote for lotsa things.  And they are following AirPlay well.  The thing their ecosystem has that Apple doesn't (now where did I put that Pippin...) is a dedicated game console, which may or may not be the way to continue, given how good a lot of other things are now at playing impressive games.  

I wish them luck.  But "SmartGlass"?  What were the rejected brands?

its not the console but the backend cloud behind it. Microsoft has been building x-box live for over 10 years now

hardware a lot more powerful than the x-box is cheap now, but no one has the infrastructure to deliver services like this

if this takes off it will add to the commoditization of smartphones that is already starting to happen

this is bad for google and bad for apple

• Reply 16 of 44

AirPlay in iOS already lets you do that second screen scenario that Microsoft described.  You can stream video from the iPad to an HDTV while the iPad screen is still available for additional content/controls/whatever.

• Reply 17 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

Google Voice had carrier concerns in it that mucked it up. This won't.

As for Apple's Airplay strategy, they won't change it because of this. They aren't about chasing after what the other boys are doing. They work on their own time tablet and release when they feel the time is right. Not to beat the other kids to the game. 

Who knows what Apple is releasing with iOS 6 or how it will compare to this whole Smart Glass gig. But some of the features they include can already be used in some AirPlay enhanced apps or even without it. I remember Grey's Anatomy had a companion app like 2 years ago that listened for cues (either in the audio or some secondary 'invisible' track) from the live feed for the same sorts of tricks. Games like Real Racing HD already put the maps on your iPad and the first person view on your TV via Airplay. etc. Begs the question where did Microsoft take their cues. 

• Reply 18 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I was just discussing the evolution of AirPlay just last week. I hope Apple introduces more APIs that make it easier and more seamless for app developers to integrate across multiple screens.
    PS: Now that House, M.D. is over can we please have all stories about an Apple HDTV use a different image? I vote for Daenerys Targaryen for every AI article, regardless of the topic.

I second that nomination, Khaleesi the Queen of AI.

PS. That was quick. Thanks
  • Reply 19 of 44
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where's your evidence that this was done with malicious intent?

presumably in the same place as your evidence that it wasn't

• Reply 20 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umumum View Post

presumably in the same place as your evidence that it wasn't

Innocent until proven guilty. You have to prove Apple purposely withheld the app. I don't have to prove diddly.