Purported 13" MacBook Pro specs show USB 3.0, Ivy Bridge, no Retina display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An image claiming to show specifications for an unreleased 13-inch MacBook Pro shows it equipped with an Ivy Bridge processor and USB 3.0 ports, but without a high-resolution Retina display.

The image, published on Tuesday by Macotakara, could easily have been faked. But the questionable image shows hardware specifications as they would usually appear on the box of an Apple notebook.

The image claims the computer will feature a 2.5 gigahertz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with 3 megabytes of L3 cache and Turbo Boost up to 3.1 gigahertz. It also features 4 gigabytes of 1600 megahertz DDR3 SDRAM, a 500 gigabyte 5400-rpm hard drive, and the new Intel HD Graphics 4000 found in the latest Ivy Bridge processors.

The purported specifications also show the MacBook Pro with a 13.3-inch LED backlit glossy widescreen display with a resolution of just 1,280 by 800 pixels. That resolution would not qualify as an Apple-branded Retina display, as the company is expected to debut new MacBook Pros with higher resolution screens at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

In addition to having a traditional spinning hard drive, the list of features also suggests the 13-inch MacBook Pro will have an 8x slot-loading SuperDrive for CDs and DVDs. Apple's next MacBook Pros are instead expected to be a significant redesign that will ditch the optical drive for a thinner design like the MacBook Air.

However, the alleged MacBook Pro update does feature two high-speed USB 3.0 ports, in addition to a Thunderbolt port, SDXC card slot, and FireWire 800 port.

Specs

The size and weight shown on the spec sheet has the MacBook Pro sized at 12.78 by 8.94 by 0.95 inches and 4.5 pounds. Those are identical to the current 13-inch MacBook Pro sold by Apple.

If legitimate, it's possible the specifications could show a low-end 13-inch MacBook Pro that Apple intends to release. That model could lack some of the features of the higher end models, like a thinner design and Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Still only 1280x800

And people are hassling the win8 crowd for low resolutions. It's getting a little long in the tooth now, even compared to apple products.
  • Reply 2 of 131
    d00dd00d Posts: 2member
    Last paragraph makes a lot of sense. Apple is really known to fragment their product line. Having three distinct models in for the 13" sounds really likely. (end sarcasm)
  • Reply 3 of 131
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    FireWire? Really? Lol ok
  • Reply 4 of 131
    foucaultfoucault Posts: 1member
    The weight is actually slightly different at 2.06kg compared to 2.04kg. Still could be fake though.
  • Reply 5 of 131
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

FireWire? Really? Lol ok

Yes, really.

Just because you never progressed beyond shitty USB drives, doesn't mean FireWire isn't well entrenched in the professional audio and video worlds.

.tsooJ

• Reply 6 of 131
    tkullatkulla Posts: 2member

I call BS on this one. The 13" Air has a resolution of 1440x900 so I don't see them keeping a lower resolution for the Pro with this refresh. At the very least it will jump to the same pixel count.

• Reply 7 of 131

agreed.

• Reply 8 of 131
    ewiz77ewiz77 Posts: 6member

Specs looks really bad. I was totally hoping for a new design + retina display :(

• Reply 9 of 131
    whytoiwhytoi Posts: 43member

Boo... If true. Waiting for a retina display on the 13". My trigger for an upgrade.

• Reply 10 of 131

Anyone tried scanning the barcode in the bottom right corner? I tried with RedLaser, doesn't work maybe you guys might have better luck

• Reply 11 of 131
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    All I want is a new 15" with the new thin design and the Retina Display minus the hard drive. Give me that and you've sold one Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 131
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d00d View Post

Last paragraph makes a lot of sense. Apple is really known to fragment their product line. Having three distinct models in for the 13" sounds really likely. (end sarcasm)

Perhaps you meant "end misplaced sarcasm".

Apple frequently sells older models for the low end and educational market.

Remember the white MacBook that was sold alongside the older ones.

• Reply 13 of 131
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

Quote:

FireWire? Really? Lol ok

Obviously disinformation or a fake.

• Reply 14 of 131
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

Specs looks really bad. I was totally hoping for a new design + retina display :(

As always, some people will be disappointed if they keep the optical drive (OD), Ethernet & FW ports, and the 2.5" drive bay. Others will be disappointed if they drop all of these. What probably everybody could agree on is USB 3 and the 13" Air's display resolution. What probably could also get fairly broad appeal would be dropping the OD for a blade SSD while keeping the 2.5" drive bay and the current ports and using the space gain for a thinner (wedgier) case (at least that would be my preferred solution).

• Reply 15 of 131
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

Quote:

FireWire? Really? Lol ok

Yes, really.

Just because you never progressed beyond shitty USB drives, doesn't mean FireWire isn't well entrenched in the professional audio and video worlds.

.tsooJ

In your lame comment, you mean to imply that FW800 are speedier than USB 2 drives in any truly meaningful way? Hardly.

• Reply 16 of 131
    mattiasomattiaso Posts: 1member

The barcode says 1P826-9882. Don't know what it means, though :o)

• Reply 17 of 131

Yes and no. They could keep 1280x800 resolution and lower the price making 13" Macbook Pro new white Macbook. And if you would like to have 1440x900 - go to Air, or new 15" Pro with Retina. I would consider that seriously. In day-to-day use I don't need hyper resolution at all. Most of MKVs are 720p :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkulla View Post

I call BS on this one. The 13" Air has a resolution of 1440x900 so I don't see them keeping a lower resolution for the Pro with this refresh. At the very least it will jump to the same pixel count.

• Reply 18 of 131

I scanned the barcode, but all it said was 'This is a Code 39 Barcode. It is typical used for vehicle identification numbers' It reads 1P826-9882

• Reply 19 of 131
    quambquamb Posts: 143member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

In your lame comment, you mean to imply that FW800 are speedier than USB 2 drives in any truly meaningful way? Hardly.

Speed is not the point, in fact your rebuttal only emphasises a complete lack of knowledge of how deep Firewire is embedded in the film and audio industry. 

• Reply 20 of 131
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Actually, FW800 is faster than USB2 in a meaningful way. Try editing video across both and tell us how it goes. Even large file transfers are "meaningfully" faster.