Apple, Samsung expected to control 52% of smartphone sales through 2013

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Together, Apple and Samsung will represent more than half of all global smartphone sales through the year 2013, according to a new projection.

Analyst Michael Walkley with Canaccord Genuity said in a note to investors on Tuesday that he sees Apple accounting for 21 percent of smartphone sales in 2013, with total iPhone unit sales of 204.1 million. Samsung is projected to have a 31.3 percent share in 2013, on sales of 304.4 million smartphones.

Together, that would place both Apple and Samsung in control of 52.3 percent of the total global smartphone market. That's an improvement from the 49.7 percent both companies are expected to control through the end of calendar 2012.

Walkley noted that as of May 1, Apple and Samsung combined for 47.6 percent of smartphone unit shares worldwide. He believes the two companies, despite controlling less than half the market, accounted for a whopping 99 percent of industry profits.

In fact, Apple was found in May to earn a commanding 73 percent of mobile industry profits with just an 8.8 percent total share, when both smartphones and traditional "feature" phones are counted.

Canaccord

Walkley also revealed on Tuesday that in the month of May, Apple's iPhone 4S was the top selling smartphone at all three major carriers where it is available in the U.S.: AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. In fact, the iPhone 4S has been the top selling smartphone at all three carriers throughout 2012.

Not among the top three smartphones among Apple's carrier partners in the month of May was the iPhone 4. The company's previous-generation smartphone, first released in 2010 and now available for $99 with a two-year contract, was the No.3 selling smartphone at Sprint in March, and took the No. 3 spot at both Sprint and AT&T in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Poor RIM/Blackberry - not even on the list.  

• Reply 2 of 20
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member

Less competition is never good though. =/

• Reply 3 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Poor RIM/Blackberry - not even on the list.  

Why would they be? I don't expect them to see 2013.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Wish HP hadn't whizzed Palm down their leg. Or, rather, I wish they'd failed even more spectacularly and gotten out of the computer business, too. Then they might have sold Palm off to someone competent.

• Reply 4 of 20
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

I'm impressed with how well Nokia Lumia 900 is doing at AT&T -- second place two months in a row!

• Reply 5 of 20
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

That's the competition's problem. If they're unable to provide viable alternatives, then screw em, and screw *that* sort of competition. 

No one is preventing HTC from really shaking up the segment. No one says Motorola is not allowed to change the game.

We need competition that means business, not more OEM junkware running some superceded version of Android. 

Microsoft had quite an opportunity (even if late) to change the game as well  . . . all that "Microsoft Research" stuff and massive R&D budget. And look what everyone got. Windows Phone 2007. What a waste. Not really surprising though. 

• Reply 6 of 20
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Where are all these Samsung phones? China? India?

In my day to day activities/travels/events I rarely see anything other than the iPhone used as a smartphone. (Incidentally, I have seen exactly three Fires, for the hundreds and hundreds of iPads).

• Reply 7 of 20
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I'm impressed with how well Nokia Lumia 900 is doing at AT&T -- second place two months in a row!

Yes, that's nice, but the sad fact is, people may also be getting seduced by the seemingly 'low' upfront price of $100....

• Reply 8 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Where are all these Samsung phones? China? India?

In my day to day activities/travels/events I rarely see anything other than the iPhone used as a smartphone. (Incidentally, I have seen exactly three Fires, for the hundreds and hundreds of iPads).

If I see an Android phone in the US it's usually a Samsung phone. They are clearly dominating the Android-baed phone market which is why I think they can feasibly create their own ads outside of the carriers and start marketing a single device for an entire country the way Apple does with the iPhone.

I haven't seen any Kindle Fires outside owned in use but I do see plenty of Kindle eReaders. I'd even say that with commuters I'm seeing slightly more Kindle eReaders than i see iPads, but in coffee shops I see a lot more iPads. Of course, coffee shops are only telling of a certain demographic, not of the nation. If you'r first observation with personal computing was a coffee shop you'd think Macs were the only PCs and FaceBook was the OS/UI. :D
  • Reply 9 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, that's nice, but the sad fact is, people may also be getting seduced by the seemingly 'low' upfront price of $100....

Yes, I guess the same applies to other $100 phones as well. Nokia seems to be finally catching up on the illogical reality of American telecommunications...

• Reply 10 of 20
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    drdoppio wrote: »

I'd love to know the breakdown of those top 3 phones on each carrier.

For instance... didn't AT&T report that 78% of their smartphone sales were the iPhone?

Sounds like there's a huge gap between 1st and 2nd place. I would imagine it's a similar story on Verizon and Sprint.

But it is nice to see Nokia shaking things up in the US again. I remember when everybody had a Nokia phone back in the day. They make great phones.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'd love to know the breakdown of those top 3 phones on each carrier.

For instance... didn't AT&T report that 78% of their smartphone sales were the iPhone?

Sounds like there's a huge gap between 1st and 2nd place. I would imagine it's a similar story on Verizon and Sprint.

But it is nice to see Nokia shaking things up in the US again. I remember when everybody had a Nokia phone back in the day. They make great phones.

I don't believe there's any smartphone that's available from more carriers than the iPhone, so if it wasn't the biggest individual seller it would be a total shock. Even the newest Samsung, the Galaxy III, will only be sold by a handful of telcos/retailers here. The iPhone is available from nearly every one in North America, so it has a much wider distribution.

• Reply 12 of 20
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I don't believe there's any smartphone that's available from more carriers than the iPhone, so if it wasn't the biggest individual seller it would be a total shock. Even the newest Samsung, the Galaxy III, will only be sold by a handful of telcos/retailers here. The iPhone is available from nearly every one in North America, so it has a much wider distribution.

It was still leading the pack when of total sales per model when it was on fewer carriers and now that's more widely distributed it's more diluted that a device on a limited carrier(s) has a better chance of knocking it out of the top spot for the carrier. It's unfortunate that we can't get actual number per vendor and per carrier because all signs point to Apple's flagship device still having a substantial lead.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

What's seemingly about it? One pays $100 and they get the phone
  • Reply 14 of 20

Quote:

You may remember that Microsoft is essentially subsidizing the Nokia phones to boost the sales at AT&T and keep the phone from being a spectacular failure. 

I'm surprised that the iPhone 4 didn't make a showing on the Verizon list as it had before, but it is three years old now and the competition is heating up.

• Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You may remember that Microsoft is essentially subsidizing the Nokia phones to boost the sales at AT&T and keep the phone from being a spectacular failure. 

I'm surprised that the iPhone 4 didn't make a showing on the Verizon list as it had before, but it is three years old now and the competition is heating up.

Don't you find it surprising that the $100 Lumia was more appealing than the $100 iPhone 4 though?

• Reply 16 of 20
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Don't you find it surprising that the $100 Lumia was more appealing than the $100 iPhone 4 though?

No.  The Lumia 900 is a reasonable smartphone at a practical price which has seen one of the largest marketing campaigns ever for a smartphone.

While I find the user interface unappealing I can understand why some people might find the user interface appealing.

I think it is astonishing that Microsoft and Nokia needed five years to compete with last year's model of smartphone from Apple or Google and "friends."  I do think Microsoft has a successful smartphone now and if they can understand why they may be able to completely turnaround their smartphone business.  This makes me think some of their tablets may be successful as well. 

• Reply 17 of 20

That's depressing...of all Android OEMs Samsung are the one I like the least due to their undeniably slavish copying of/wayyyy too much inspiration from Apple products...they built their whole handset business on "me too" and it hurts the mobile industry as a whole IMO...

I wish HTC would've taken off like that..hate them all you want, but they do a good job differentiating from iOS in almost every way.

• Reply 18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

No.  The Lumia 900 is a reasonable smartphone at a practical price which has seen one of the largest marketing campaigns ever for a smartphone.

While I find the user interface unappealing I can understand why some people might find the user interface appealing.

I think it is astonishing that Microsoft and Nokia needed five years to compete with last year's model of smartphone from Apple or Google and "friends."  I do think Microsoft has a successful smartphone now and if they can understand why they may be able to completely turnaround their smartphone business.  This makes me think some of their tablets may be successful as well. 

I think Microsoft would've benefited greatly by not attaching windows to everything...

Windows leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth for reasons based on past misadventures and present missteps.

• Reply 19 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

This is a bit of a surprise if true, with the Droid Razr Max perhaps outselling the iPhone at Verizon in the 2nd quarter.

"Although the iPhone is overall still the best-selling device across North American carriers, writes Doradla, “our checks highlight initial signs of Apple’s momentum under pressure, particularly at Verizon, which we believe is from the operator aggressively marketing competing 4G devices,” referring to the volume of sales for the phone as of the June quarter, based on his “checks.”

Since Apple’s iPhone launch in North America, we believe this was the first quarter where the iPhone was not the best?selling smartphone at a North American mobile operator (where it was available). While Apple continued to maintain its top position at AT&T and Sprint, Motorola’s Droid RAZR MAXX was the best? selling smartphone at Verizon. Our checks also indicate that at this stage consumers are not pausing in front of the iPhone launch as it is not influencing their purchasing decisions (but we expect it to start impacting over the next couple of months). Despite the “increased competitive landscape from 4G devices (and the iPhone 4S is not 4G),” Doradia is “not worried” as the next iPhone model, a true 4G phone, “will be an important catalyst for the company,” he believes.

Samsung Electronics had the third spot behind the iPhone at Verizon with the “Galaxy Nexus” unit, according to Doradla’s checks."

• Reply 20 of 20
    gatorguy wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]This is a bit of a surprise if true, with the Droid Razr Max perhaps outselling the iPhone at Verizon in the 2nd quarter.[/SIZE]

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-size:1.3em;margin-right:8px;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:8px;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">[SIZE=14px]<span style="line-height:1.5em;">"Although the iPhone is overall still the best-selling device across North American carriers, writes Doradla, “our checks highlight initial signs of Apple’s momentum under pressure, particularly at Verizon, which we believe is from the operator aggressively marketing competing 4G devices,” referring to the volume of sales for the phone as of the </span>
    [SIZE=12px]<strong style="font-size:1.3em;line-height:1.5em;">June quarter</strong>
    [/SIZE]<span style="line-height:1.5em;">, based on his “checks.”</span>
    [/SIZE]</p>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-size:1.3em;margin-right:8px;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:8px;padding-left:30px;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">[SIZE=14px]Since Apple’s iPhone launch in North America, we believe this was the first quarter where the iPhone was not the best?selling smartphone at a North American mobile operator (where it was available). While Apple continued to maintain its top position at AT&T and Sprint, Motorola’s Droid RAZR MAXX was the best? selling smartphone at Verizon. Our checks also indicate that at this stage consumers are not pausing in front of the iPhone launch as it is not influencing their purchasing decisions (but we expect it to start impacting over the next couple of months). Despite the “increased competitive landscape from 4G devices (and the iPhone 4S is not 4G),” Doradia is “not worried” as the next iPhone model, a true 4G phone, “will be an important catalyst for the company,” he believes.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-size:1.3em;margin-right:8px;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:8px;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">[SIZE=14px]Samsung Electronics had the third spot behind the iPhone at Verizon with the “Galaxy Nexus” unit, according to Doradla’s checks."[/SIZE]</p>

I wouldn't be surprised. The iPhone 4S is coming to it's last quarter before it's expected to get refreshed. I know people who are not tech savvy who are holding onto their old, out-of-contract iPhones because they know a new one isn't too far away. I'm certainly doing that with my iPhone 4.

I think it'll be more clear once we see how my subscribers were added and compare them to previous quarters.

The Droid RAZR MAXX wouldn't be close to being my first choice for an Android phone but I can see why people like the HW. LTE is now at a state that makes it feasible for most people. This wasn't the case a year ago.