First WWDC 2012 banners go up at Moscone: 'Where great ideas go on to do great things'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The first banners for Apple's 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference, which takes place next week, are being installed at the Moscone Center in San Francisco with the tagline, "Where great ideas go on to do great things."

The banners feature an assortment of app icons and the same colorful squares that make up the Apple logo on the WWDC 2012 invitation, as noted by MacRumors.

Apple will kick off the annual conference next Monday with a keynote at 10 a.m. Pacific . The official conference schedule was published last week, but more of the sessions are marked "To be announced" than usual, setting off a flurry of speculation that they will pertain to as-yet-unannounced products, services or APIs.

The Cupertino, Calif., company itself has been abnormally quiet in the first half of 2012. It did tease this summer's OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion release in February and then release the iPad and a refreshed AppleTV in March, but it has yet to release any new Macs.

WWDC 2012
WWDC 2012 banner at the Moscone Center (via MacRumors)

On Tuesday, reports emerged that in-store pickup inventory of the Mac Pro has been drying up at Apple Stores, a possible sign that the workstation could see an upgrade at WWDC. The machine was last updated in 2010. Other reports suggest MacBook Pros and iMacs could also make an appearance at the event.

Apple is also expected to announce a new and improved maps application for iOS, new Camera and Photos apps and closer Facebook integration. The company will also likely publicly unveil its next-generation of iOS, presumably called iOS 6, and provide further details about the upcoming Mountain Lion release.

WWDC

Visit AppleInsider's WWDC 2012 topic page to stay up to date on developments with the conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The subtitle this year is an anagram for "A Hardheartedness Goiter We Togging To".

Get to speculating. image

• Reply 2 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Bleh. "Where great ideas go on to do great things"?

I think Steve would've made sure that would be much shorter and much more memorable.

How about, "Introducing what's next" instead?

• Reply 3 of 51

The little squares in the banner are RED, BLUE, GREEN (or immediate variations from combining two of those colors).  This is just a hint of what WWDC will focus on - Pixels!

• Reply 4 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post

The little squares in the banner are RED, BLUE, GREEN (or immediate variations from combining two of those colors).  This is just a hint of what WWDC will focus on - Displays!

No, this is a developer's conference. That was just a choice by the designer(s).

• Reply 5 of 51
    panupanu Posts: 135member

Uncharacteristically stumble-tongued for Apple. Ideas don't "do" things. At best it should be "Where great ideas become great things" or "Where great ideas turn into great things." Best of all, they should have thrown the whole thing out and said something sensible.

• Reply 6 of 51
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

CNN icon? A dying sad brand, a hint at ATV content

• Reply 7 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Apple badly needs a new ad agency. Their celebrity-focused iPhone ads make me squirm. This tagline is awkward (as was the reference to 'resolutionary' with iPad 3). Carriers hawking the iPad have the junkiest set of ads going (I know that's not Apple's ad agency, but I doubt that Steve would have put up with them -- he would have picked up the phone and called their CEOs, after getting some advice from his agency on what to say instead).

C'mon, Apple. You can do better. You've done much better.

Edit: Aaargh.... the perils of autocorrect....

• Reply 8 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, this is a developer's conference. That was just a choice by the designer(s).

Everyone knows it's a developer's conference.  That doesn't change anything.  Apple announces new products at WWDC all the time and they will do so again this year.  

Apple's banners more often than not serve as teases for what will be announced.  

• Reply 9 of 51
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Uncharacteristically stumble-tongued for Apple. Ideas don't "do" things. At best it should be "Where great ideas become great things" or "Where great ideas turn into great things." Best of all, they should have thrown the whole thing out and said something sensible.

"Where great ideas go on to do great things" is clearly a reference to the Apple "Do Engine," Siri.

• Reply 10 of 51
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

That is one lame slogan.

• Reply 11 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple badly needs a new ad agency. Their celebrity-focused iPhone ads make me squirm. This tagline is awkward (as was the reference to 'resolutionary' with iPad 3). Carriers hawking the iPad have the junkiest set of ads going (I know that's not Apple's ad agency, but I doubt that Steve would have put up with them -- he would have picked up the phone and called their CEOs, after getting some advice from his agency on what to say instead).

I think the Siri ads should be more accurate but I don't think they are outside of what Apple does. I do like the Siri ad with John Malkovich because it shows how simple the commands can be and yet so useful.

Over time we tend to forget the ones we didn't care for and not remember the ones that are (well) less memorable. People through a fit over the Revolutionary new iPad tagline saying Jobs would have never approved that yet I find it hard to think they hadn't thought of that long before he passed away. But even if they hadn't there are still plenty of play on words he did approve of. Does no one remember Thinnovation from 2008 for the MBA? I didn't until it was mentioned to me.

There are also plenty of Get A Mac ads that simply didn't register with me or that I thought we too campy. And lets not forget that Steve wanted the iMac to be called MacMan. I personally think these banners are stunning looking. i like the graphics. I don't care much for the tagline but it's a throw away line for a developer's conference that is seems to be saying the developers are or have the great ideas. A more important question is what will they use for the new Macs? And more important than that is how effective will they be for marketing to the average consumer?

PS: You all have until nightfall to see Venus eclipse the Sun. If you miss it you'l have to wait until 2117 to see it again.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    panu wrote: »

No, what they meant is that, the great ideas being the medium like the iPhone, iPad, Macs or OS X and iOS. Apple considered them as an end product created from great ideas and that in turn go on to create more great ideas. Simples.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: You all have until nightfall to see Venus eclipse the Sun. If you miss it you'l have to wait until 2117 to see it again.

Saw it, but I also plan on being around to see it again.

• Reply 14 of 51
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    The Apple logo is now clearly 3-D, and it looks even more like both a globe and a map. This is consistent with expectations for the new Maps app, especially the 3-D part. The inclusion of 3rd party app icons (and only 3rd party) suggests that there will be powerful APIs into Maps.
  • Reply 15 of 51

Quote:

There are also plenty of Get A Mac ads that simply didn't register with me or that I thought we too campy. 

If you're referring to the Mac v. PC ads, I thought that every single one of those was brilliant. Uncompromisingly brilliant. Put Macs back on the map in an in-your-face way. I **loved** them.

People copy it to this day..... (the T-Mobile girl, for instance).

• Reply 16 of 51

Quote:

www.nasa.gov has superb live coverage.

• Reply 17 of 51
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bleh. "Where great ideas go on to do great things"?

I think Steve would've made sure that would be much shorter and much more memorable.

How about, "Introducing what's next" instead?

Yeah.  Hate to keep saying it but consider that shark fully jumped.  

When Apple's banners start seeming like they hired Steve Balmer as their copywriter, you know they are in trouble.  

"Where great ideas go on to do great things"?  What, these ideas were doing shit before and now they can do "great things?"  Ideas actually do stuff?  Ideas are sentient now?  

What utter nonsense.  Even in the context of "ad speak" this is absolute meaningless drivel. It's embarrassingly bad copy.  And this from the biggest company on the planet that can hire the best advertising talent on the planet if they wish to.  Bleh. 

• Reply 18 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

No, what they meant is that, the great ideas being the medium like the iPhone, iPad, Macs or OS X and iOS. Apple considered them as an end product created from great ideas and that in turn go on to create more great ideas. Simples.

Except one of the number one rules in advertising (and art) is that you shouldn't have to explain what it means.

Even if your right (and actually I think you're explanation is a stretch), if you have to explain it to people it's a fail anyway.  

• Reply 19 of 51

Quote:

I think the Siri ads should be more accurate but I don't think they are outside of what Apple does. I do like the Siri ad with John Malkovich because it shows how simple the commands can be and yet so useful. ...

I can't speak for the original poster, but for me the "celebrity" Siri ads are some of the worst Apple ads I've seen. Mainly because they aren't original and don't actually communicate anything.  

First off, they are just exact copies of the original Siri ads, but with celebrities. How tacky and unoriginal is that?  All they communicate to the audience is "celebrities like Apple products," and even that is a lie because of course they were paid to do them. 

Furthermore, they are just full of errors.  The timing is off on all of them, the "acting" is off on at least a few lines of most of them.  It's just all wrong.  There is a subtle something missing in the flow of the words.  It's as if they should have done five or six more takes until they got it right, or worse, it's as if the director simply didn't know that they didn't get a good take.  Glaringly obvious to me.  

I find them very hard to watch.  They are embarrassing. 

• Reply 20 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, the slogan is pretty clunky.  But it's quite meaningful: in the past it's all been vision and charisma.  Now we're executing on that and taking over the world.

:)

The celebrity ads have been effective, though I also feel they're bland.