Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

Improvement in Landscape mode. Are you kidding.  Yes it will enlarge everything in Landscape mode and nothing in Portrait mode.  That is BAD in both modes. BAD in Portrait mode because it is to small now and will make no improvement in text sizes, but does show more screen.  BAD in landscape mode because everything will auto fill the screen and you will have less visible on screen, and the keyboard will take more screen space so all that will be left is a sliver of visible page. What we need is more screen width and height in the same Aspect Ratio.

16-9.png

Exactly.  I think the Nexus S screen size is excellent.  Of course their display tech sucks, but the size is my personal preference.  

• Reply 42 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Typical.

We say "bigger," they hear "longer."

... Wider is better, not longer.

Too easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

Improvement in Landscape mode. Are you kidding.  Yes it will enlarge everything in Landscape mode and nothing in Portrait mode.  That is BAD in both modes. BAD in Portrait mode because it is to small now and will make no improvement in text sizes, but does show more screen.  BAD in landscape mode because everything will auto fill the screen and you will have less visible on screen, and the keyboard will take more screen space so all that will be left is a sliver of visible page. What we need is more screen width and height in the same Aspect Ratio.

16-9.png

If they made the phone longer (in landscape)/taller (in portrait) I'm guessing they wouldn't keep the same amount of keys on the keyboard in landscape mode. It would accommodate more keys like a shift key on either side, comma and semicolon keys, quote keys, etc. We would have the same amount of screen real estate in landscape that we do now.

--

For craps and giggles I present the next iPhone "mockup":

New iPhone.jpg

• Reply 43 of 71
    hallcr3hallcr3 Posts: 7member

Yeah, I'm sorry, a longer iPhone wasn't what I had in mind. Other posters are right when they say it would still be a beautiful device and we'll all still run out and buy it, but it's not what I was hoping for. If anything, I'd rather not making ANY changes to the screen size. 

• Reply 44 of 71
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

I would prefer to see an increase in width as well, even if it is edge-to-edge. The iPhone is too narrow to type accurate even via auto-correct in portrait mode. I prefer using portrait mode to display more lines of text. In landscape mode, I can barely even see what I am typing.

• Reply 45 of 71
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

If Apple doesn't change the screen size, people will complain.  If they do change the screen size, people will complain.  

• Reply 46 of 71
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

If Apple doesn't change the screen size, people will complain.  If they do change the screen size, people will complain.  

Which group is larger is what counts in the end.

• Reply 47 of 71
    gs turngs turn Posts: 30member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

If they made the phone longer (in landscape)/taller (in portrait) I'm guessing they wouldn't keep the same amount of keys on the keyboard in landscape mode. It would accommodate more keys like a shift key on either side, comma and semicolon keys, quote keys, etc. We would have the same amount of screen real estate in landscape that we do now.

WRONG, even if they keep the same height keyboard by black boxing or adding number keys, you still have less real estate because the rest is enlarged.  The only way you would have the same real estate would be to black box the whole screen and if you did that, then why enlarge the screen in the first place.

16-9a.png

• Reply 48 of 71
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I doubt that this would be 'the new iPhone'. They had good reasons to call the iPad that way. 

• Reply 49 of 71
    Same rumor, echoing off a different part of the internet.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Is that the old "the majority is always sane" explanation?

It doesn't always ring true. image

• Reply 51 of 71
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Larger or just noisier with tech pundit credentials.  Each time there's an Apple product launch or product upgrade, can be certain that Apple will get bashed for doing too much or too little and of course with Steve Jobs being gone now, they add in the "Apple is losing their mojo and Steve Jobs wouldn't do that, Tim Cook is dull, failing, blah, blah"  When the iPhone 4S was announced, it was called a dud and failed to impress until the sales figures came in.  Ultimately that's what really counts.  

• Reply 52 of 71
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    That's one fugly looking phone in the mock up and alleged leaks... Its very hard to believe Steve ok'ed this and world on it until the end.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

Please stop posting from this guy/person.

He has NO insider sources. None, nada, zip.

Everyone of his "reports" comes out AFTER all the rumor sites and leaks occur.  I have never seen this guy post an original report. The only work this guy does is attach a title of "analyst" and throws out the far fetched things.

Which makes him (whether right or wrong) an ANALYST (someone who analyzes/evaluates/attempts to integrate existing information/history/trends) rather than a REPORTER (someone who digs up and reports new information). D'oh.

(It also makes him like nearly all of the posters here, except that he makes a living at it!)

Quote:

Originally Posted in the article:

The analyst noted that the above specs would represent a valid compromise of Apple's values of single-handed operability, backwards compatibility with iPhone apps, battery life and an improved user experience derived from having a larger screen.

However, in the "there I fixed it" department, what he meant to say was "....the above specs would represent a hopefully valid compromise of Apple's values of single-handed operability, backwards compatibility with iPhone apps, battery life and an improved selling experience for AAPL derived from having a larger screen."  

• Reply 54 of 71

I think they will make the keys in landscape mode wider but not taller. So no problem here.

• Reply 55 of 71
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lengthening the screen without making it wider would serve more than just an ergonomic purpose.

If true, then this will be how Apple increases battery size to handle the rumored LTE radio's higher power needs

while also making the new iPhone thinner.  The extra pixels won't draw too much more power, especially if

Apple is able to use IGZO LCD technology.

• Reply 56 of 71
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone display analysis

I do not need a longer phone. We need a bigger screen!

iphone5.png

• Reply 57 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I do not need a longer phone. We need a bigger screen!

You're getting a bigger screen. Also, your proposed screen is longer as well, so I'm getting mixed messages.

And we always need the Home Button.

• Reply 58 of 71
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

hmmm

So android phones go for bigger screens..............apple goes for bigger screens.

Google does maps....apple does maps

google does voice actions......apple does siri

android does drop down notification......apple does drop down notifications

android does multi-tasking.......apple does multi-tasking

Samsung does rectangular TV with uncluttered front......apple does rectangular TV with uncluttered front (if iTV is true)

What's next? itube? imail? iface unlcok?

lol

Even though it wasn't implemented yet, Google probably copied Apple. Probably an idea that was about to morph into a rumor.

• Reply 59 of 71
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

hmmm

So android phones go for bigger screens..............apple goes for bigger screens.

Google does maps....apple does maps

google does voice actions......apple does siri

android does drop down notification......apple does drop down notifications

android does multi-tasking.......apple does multi-tasking

Samsung does rectangular TV with uncluttered front......apple does rectangular TV with uncluttered front (if iTV is true)

What's next? itube? imail? iface unlcok?

lol

Apple will go for a bigger screen because it's a natural progression, not because a lesser competitor did it. They just didn't feel the need to rush into it.

Google does maps and then left it to stagnate for years only to get their act together when Apple announced their own maps.

Google maps is for everyone, Apple maps are for Apple products.

Google does voice actions, Apple showed them how it was supposed to be done.

Android wasn't the first to do drop down notifications.

Multitasking is a natural progression.

And are you honestly saying the Samsung is the first manufacturer to make a flat TV with an uncluttered front!

Android face unlock is dire, I quite often see friends staring inanely at their phone trying to get it to unlock just to have to unlock it manually anyway.

At least if Apple do face unlock, it'll work.

• Reply 60 of 71
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is that the old "the majority is always sane" explanation?

It doesn't always ring true. image

Naw... I just meant that the group that will buy the most phones will be the one that counts in the end.  Sanity has never had anything to do with it...