Prepaid iPhone coming to Virgin Mobile USA by July - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sprint's Virgin Mobile USA will become the second American carrier to offer Apple's iPhone without a service contract, according to a new report.

Virgin Mobile's addition of the iPhone to its product lineup will be announced later this week, according to MarketWatch. The iPhone will debut on Virgin Mobile as soon as July 1.

The deal could go toward the $15.5 billion in iPhones Sprint has committed to sell over a four-year span. The company pledged to buy the iPhones last year in a deal that brought the iPhone to Sprint, which is the third-largest carrier in the U.S.

Last week, it was announced that Cricket Wireless would become the first prepaid carrier to sell a contract-free iPhone in the U.S. on June 22. Cricket will offer the 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S for $500 along with an "unlimited" $55-per-month plan.

But Cricket will only sell the iPhone in smaller markets where the brand is available, while Virgin would make the iPhone more widely available to prepaid customers. The Virgin service, which uses Sprint's network, covers 278 million people.

iPhone 4S


The price for a prepaid iPhone through Virgin was not revealed, but the carrier has prepaid plans that begin at $35 a month for "unlimited" capped data. Tuesday's report said it was "unclear" whether the iPhone would be compatible with those plans.

Apple began expanding the iPhone to regional carriers last October with C Spire wireless, while more were added in April and again in May of this year.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    xavier83xavier83 Posts: 63member

    Sweet ! 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,304member


    That leaves very few North American providers without the iPhone. Certainly an advantage over any of the Android manufacturers who seldom have one of their models available at more than a couple of telcos.

  • Reply 3 of 22
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member


    Hooray! VM has been my ONLY cellphone provider since I first joined them in 2005 because I'm a light user.


     


    But I'd really like to have a smart phone that had iPhone features and was capable of holding a SIM card that


    would work abroad.


     


    No word yet from VM but I'll post anything I hear unless I see it here first

  • Reply 4 of 22
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member


    Elsewhere says '2.5 GB cap before being throttled.' That's almost as good as AT&T's 3GB. AT&T is going to have to seriously kiss my butt to keep me for the next iPhone.


     


     

  • Reply 5 of 22


    Hi, does anyone know if this phone would be technically different from Sprint's iPhone. I mean, Would a sprint iPhone be able to be activated on VM?

  • Reply 6 of 22
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    The price for a prepaid iPhone through Virgin was not revealed, but the carrier has prepaid plans that begin at $35 a month for "unlimited" capped data. Tuesday's report said it was "unclear" whether the iPhone would be compatible with those plans.


     


    I just wanted to point out that this isn't a compatibility problem, it's a greed problem. Will Virgin allow the iPhone to use that same prepaid plans that all other prepaid phones can choose from, or will they be forced into a higher priced iPhone plan?

  • Reply 7 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

    I just wanted to point out that this isn't a compatibility problem, it's a greed problem. Will Virgin allow the iPhone to use that same prepaid plans that all other prepaid phones can choose from, or will they be forced into a higher priced iPhone plan?


     


    I'm betting higher priced plan that also includes forced data.

  • Reply 8 of 22
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post


    Hooray! VM has been my ONLY cellphone provider since I first joined them in 2005 because I'm a light user.


     


    But I'd really like to have a smart phone that had iPhone features and was capable of holding a SIM card that


    would work abroad.


     


    No word yet from VM but I'll post anything I hear unless I see it here first



     


     


    Ditto. Please do let us know what you hear about this.

  • Reply 9 of 22
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post





    ...The deal could go toward the $15.5 billion in iPhones Sprint has committed to sell over a four-year span. The company pledged to buy the iPhones last year in a deal that brought the iPhone to Sprint, which is the third-largest carrier in the U.S.


     


    That's nice, I suppose Sprint can use a hand...


     





    Last week, it was announced that Cricket Wireless would become the first prepaid carrier to sell a contract-free iPhone in the U.S. on June 22. Cricket will offer the 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S for $500 along with an "unlimited" $55-per-month plan.

    ...


     


    Yeah, LEAP shareholders jumped with joy on the news.

  • Reply 10 of 22
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Elvis Guerra View Post


    Hi, does anyone know if this phone would be technically different from Sprint's iPhone. I mean, Would a sprint iPhone be able to be activated on VM?



     






    You can use any Sprint phone including the Iphone on VM already, all you have to do is put the MEID of a VM phone on it.


    I've been using a bad ESN Epic I got off of Craigslist for a 100 bucks on the $25 plan for over a year and half now.

  • Reply 11 of 22


    Thanks for the response. Is changing the IMEI legal? I was told its not. How would you even go about it?

  • Reply 12 of 22


    Thanks for the response. Is changing the IMEI legal? I was told its not. How would you even go about it?

  • Reply 13 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Elvis Guerra View Post

    Is changing the IMEI legal?


     


    No.

  • Reply 14 of 22


    Thank you, thats what I thought

  • Reply 15 of 22
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    No.



    Yes and no, it's a gray area at best.


    The law says you can't have 2 phones with the same number (clone), you can't do it to steal others info, hijack another account (theft of service), or commit sellers fraud (sell a stolen phone with a modified meid to pass it off as legit).


    If you own both phones and destroy or erase the info from the original, and never sell the phone with the modified meid like I'm doing, the law becomes cloudy at best. Nobody to date has been taken to court for what I've done, so the law has never been fully interpreted by the courts yet.


    In the state of California and a few others it is illegal to change or remove a SN from anything, whether you own it or not. So in some states it's illegal no mater what, but I don't know if federal law would trump state law in such a case.


    According to the law you can for sure if you notify the FCC and the manufacture of the change.


     


    If you notify VM of this they will suspend or cancel your account because it does break the user agreement where it states that you can only use their phones and they can not be modified (rooted or jailbroken).

  • Reply 16 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chrispoe View Post

    Yes and no, it's a gray area at best.


     


    Yes, to clarify, it's not necessarily illegal to do it, there's just no legal use for a device after you have done it.


     


    It's like what jailbreaking is close to becoming, to use another example.

  • Reply 17 of 22
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Yes, to clarify, it's not necessarily illegal to do it, there's just no legal use for a device after you have done it.


     


    It's like what jailbreaking is close to becoming, to use another example.





    The example I hear from most people is car VINs, but most people don't seem to know you can legally change those too.

  • Reply 18 of 22


    Wow its a too good news, i was not aware with this information.


    Thanks to share such good news.

  • Reply 19 of 22
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member


    It's now official: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

  • Reply 20 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member


    I wonder if the iPhone will continue to do as well when the subsidies that have hidden the price difference between it and android phones is no longer able to be hidden? We see in places where prepaid is the norm that Apple simply doesn't do as well. China, Eastern Europe, etc where the population is more price sensitive.


     


    On Virgin Mobile right now, the most expensive available Android phone is $300. If this follows the Leap deal, it will be $500. I'm glad Apple is going prepaid and I'd really like to see them push through something with Straight Talk but I just hope they can keep their margins up when wandering into a market where it is less about subsidizing higher cost equipment with plans and more about the bottom dollar.

Sign In or Register to comment.