26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member

Still safe for small hands: women, children and petite men

• Reply 22 of 126
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I still think that they will use a 1280x720 screen. The reason is that the phone can then be natively 720p.  They would be able to do this by using the entire front of the phone as the screen when in full screen mode. When the device is not in full screen mode, the edges of the screen will become opaque and the regular 640x960 area will be used for the main UI.  The home button will probably be replaced with a pressure sensitive press that would operate on either then top or bottom, making the entire phone orientation independent and finally get rid of that pesky button (you know that Apple really doesn't like buttons).

• Reply 23 of 126
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's an interesting article.  I buy the battery life thing, but do Apple really need to worry so much about one handed use?

Out of interest, how many people find their interaction with the iPhone is with one hand?  Personally, with the exception of answering a call, I never use it with only one hand.

I'd say I use one hand on the phone about 80% of the time when texting, all of the time when dialing, typing in my password, etc.

• Reply 24 of 126
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Purely hypothetical because I know this would never happen, but what if Apple sold two or even 3 sizes. For example a 3.5", 4.0" and a 4.3", which do you think would sell in the greatest numbers. I would jump at the 4.3" but even I think it would probably not sell as well as a 4" version. I do think the 3.5" would be the least popular at this point in time. 

P.S. I never had any trouble fitting my HTC Evo in any pocket and my best friend who is only 5' 6" and weighs only 145lbs has no problem using his 4.65" Samsung or carrying it in his pockets. So why all the fuss about making the iPhone incrementally larger? 

You know I can't answer that question of which one I'd go for. Why because I'm addicted to my iPad and may very well milk my IPhone 4 for another year. I've never updated every year anyways, but my thinking right now is very undecided. I might actually go for a more compact iPhone if Apple could shrink the current one down a bit. That goes a bit against my physical needs but as the iPad takes over I have less of a need to focus on the functionality of my cell phone.

So really the rumored 4.x iPhone would have to deliver something more than current iPhone. More than much that has been rumored frankly.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

That "single handed use" graphic is so goddamn ridiculous. Unless you have the hands of a child or you hold an iPhone with the edge on the very first thumb knuckle connected to your hand, it will always be useable with one hand. I can't believe people still post that kind of bullshit over and over again. I have NEVER seen anyone with any smartphone hold one like that person does in the picture. That is literally bullshit summed up in a picture. This stupid claim that the iPhone is a one-handed device because of it's width, and wouldn't be at any width wider than it currently is boggles the mind. It's literally a made up "feature" of the iPhone for idiots to latch on to any try and chalk it up as another reason the iPhone is somehow superior in it's design. If you hold your iPhone like that, you're most definitely doing it wrong. A wider device would make absolutely zero difference in one finger usability because literally no one holds their smartphone like that.

• Reply 26 of 126
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You know I can't answer that question of which one I'd go for. Why because I'm addicted to my iPad and may very well milk my IPhone 4 for another year. I've never updated every year anyways, but my thinking right now is very undecided. I might actually go for a more compact iPhone if Apple could shrink the current one down a bit. That goes a bit against my physical needs but as the iPad takes over I have less of a need to focus on the functionality of my cell phone.

So really the rumored 4.x iPhone would have to deliver something more than current iPhone. More than much that has been rumored frankly.

That is the beauty of hypotheticals, it won't cost you a dime. So feel free to answer.

• Reply 27 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Large screen is not the issue. Larger case is the problem!

I mentioned in another thread why what you're saying here is foolish. Did you read that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

They would be able to do this by using the entire front of the phone as the screen when in full screen mode.

Where's the front-facing camera? The speaker? The proximity and light sensors?

Quote:

The home button will probably be replaced with a pressure sensitive press that would operate on either then top or bottom, making the entire phone orientation independent and finally get rid of that pesky button (you know that Apple really doesn't like buttons).

But still hardware, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

I have NEVER seen anyone with any smartphone hold one like that person does in the picture. If you hold your iPhone like that, you're most definitely doing it wrong. …literally no one holds their smartphone like that.

That's exactly how I have held my iPhone since the day I got it. Maybe that's what Steve meant, then.  image

• Reply 28 of 126
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I guess all those crappy 16:9 4in Android phones were ahead of their time 2 years ago?

I guess all those crappy heavy expensive Windows 95 tablets were ahead of their time 17 years ago?
  • Reply 29 of 126
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Still completely unsold on 16:9. Will continue to be unsold on it after launch.

But as long as I don't have to slide my hand up and down the thing like a TV remote, I'll give it a go, I guess.

And sadly if Apple folds into the 16:9, like many other manufacturers have i think i will not be able to buy a laptop i like.  

The way i see it if they make this 16:9 is means that they plan to make everything into 16:9.... :(

Although, the iPhone's current screen of 3:2 isn't really anything special tbh.... i think that 4:3/16:10 woulda been better.... BUT, i trust that it was unfeasable and 3:2 was best option.

ON that note, i hope Cook doesn't appear to succeed (like so far) than bring Apple to 16:9 :(

• Reply 30 of 126
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Nice try on trying to get me to switch political parties. You may want to rethink your strategy there because calling people morons is not helping your cause, especially when those morons are educated democrats.

He isn't a moron. Here's how it works... While the height (when in landscape) remains 640 pixels high, the percentage of the screen in comparison to the width becomes less. If the website is designed to fill the width of the screen (which it will be since that's the desired viewport), then the amount shown vertically is decreased. It's simple math really. Here's my proof since you obviously need that...

When in 960x640, the website fills the screen horizontally 100% and then the "fold" is at 67% of the width (640/960).  If you are using an 1136 pixel wide screen, then the fold is at 56% of the width of the screen(640/1136), or you are seeing 11% less of the height of the original viewport. If given the same DPI (326ppi), the website content would appear slightly larger, an increase of 18.3% (1136/960)-1.

• Reply 31 of 126
    the_stevethe_steve Posts: 46member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

That "single handed use" graphic is so goddamn ridiculous.... I have NEVER seen anyone with any smartphone hold one like that person does in the picture. 

That picture is exactly how I hold my iPhone, except I tend to put my fifth finger along the bottom to keep the phone from slipping down.  And as a lefty, I want to thank Apple for conveniently putting the volume buttons on the left side!  I do think they should move the home button down and change it to short/wide capsule shape, which would leave more space for the screen.

• Reply 32 of 126
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Purely hypothetical because I know this would never happen, but what if Apple sold two or even 3 sizes. For example a 3.5", 4.0" and a 4.3", which do you think would sell in the greatest numbers. I would jump at the 4.3" but even I think it would probably not sell as well as a 4" version. I do think the 3.5" would be the least popular at this point in time. 

P.S. I never had any trouble fitting my HTC Evo in any pocket and my best friend who is only 5' 6" and weighs only 145lbs has no problem using his 4.65" Samsung or carrying it in his pockets. So why all the fuss about making the iPhone incrementally larger? 

So true. People mysteriously cling to the 'small is better' idea... maybe because it's all Apple offers and sets them apart. The 3.7", 16x9 original Droid was viewed as too large also. I think if Apple offered an iPhone in the exact same weight and dimensions as the Galaxy SIII with 4.8" display, it would easily outsell the 3.5, 4.0 and 4.3" models. 

• Reply 33 of 126
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

Quote:

I mentioned in another thread why what you're saying here is foolish. Did you read that?

Oh my God! Who didn't read that post?!?!

It was a Tour De Force! In fact they are still talking about it over at 9 to 5 Mac!

• Reply 34 of 126
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The sad thing is, I suspect the biggest one would sell in the greatest numbers, since in the minds of most consumers, bigger = better when it comes to phone screens.

• Reply 35 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Oh my God! Who didn't read that post?!?! It was a Tour De Force! In fact they are still talking about it over at 9 to 5 Mac!

I don't think we're talking about the same post here… image

• Reply 36 of 126
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Still completely unsold on 16:9. Will continue to be unsold on it after launch.

Me too. Haven't seen it but I hate it. And I will keep saying so until I love it. 

???

• Reply 37 of 126
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

I couldn't care less about using it single handed, as it's something I never do on the current pokey little screen.

I'm more interested in making the portrait keyboard wider, making on screen gaming controls cover less of the gameplay area, making web pages more readable, and making GPS nav controls easier to hit while driving. Stuff that requires a screen bigger in all dimensions.

• Reply 38 of 126
    I agree, another lousy AI article.
    A taller phone becomes WIDER when held horizontally, which (following this article's flawed logic) would be more difficult for people to use one or two hands.
    My next phone will be bigger in both dimensions. What is most important to me is being able to type accurately with two thumbs. I seldom type with the phone held vertically. I want to see larger keys on the keyboard.
    I also want more usable screen size- get rid of the home button!
    I want to read and type a Captcha sequence w/o having to scroll the text.

I don't understand Apple's reluctance to increase the iPhone screen size. I'm glad this corporate obstinance has cost them market share. When Jobs talked about a smaller tablet he said people wouldn't like anything smaller- yet the iPhone has remained much smaller yet. I'm glad the company has a new CEO.
    If it weren't for the fanboys and sheep-media, this company would really be in trouble.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    I'm an apple fan I'll start by saying that. But a longer screen not wider is pretty ugly if you ask me, I want a longer wider screen...like most people.. If there worried about the devs, then that's dev problems, they get paid pretty good money I'm assuming..... to fix the screen size ratios... Give me a break apple I'm sorry.... I'll stick with my iPad.. And get a galaxy s III or something like that.... Very disappointing
  • Reply 40 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

A taller phone becomes WIDER when held horizontally, which (following this article's flawed logic) would be more difficult for people to use one or two hands.

I'm trying to think of an instance in which one would hold a phone in landscape with just one hand. "Watching a movie" is all I can think of, and then you have your thumb available to hit play/pause, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayydoggy View Post

I want a longer wider screen…like most people. Give me a break apple I'm sorry.... I'll stick with my iPad.. And get a galaxy s III or something like that.... Very disappointing

So Apple is giving you exactly what you want and you're disappointed and will buy from someone else? I don't get it.