Apple seeks Samsung Galaxy S III injunction before US launch [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    krakajapkrakajap Posts: 29member

I think it's funny how anytime Apple is sued over a patent, a lot of people call it trolling.  Then when Apple sues someone it's called protecting their innovation.  Did Apple invent the video phone?  no... voice search?  no... text to speech?  no... etc. etc.  In fact Apple have stated many times that they don't necessarily "invent" new technology but rather take current technology and make it better.  This patent shit from both sides is getting very old!!!  

• Reply 22 of 66
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    No, you just shouldn't be allowed to get away with wholesale theft.

Sure! We (well, I, at least) welcome the first fair competitor. That was Microsoft. I don't think there's any sort of lawsuit going on between Apple and Microsoft, and Windows Phone 7 certainly isn't stolen from Apple. No one else seems to want to actually compete.
    1. Apple isn't threatened by Microsoft's phone sales and 2. NORTEL shared patents

As for the S3, it pretty much kicks the iP4s in the teeth. Expect over a million sales in the US before the 21st of June. This is what is scaring Apple. People buying the S3 BEFORE the iPhone 5 comes out. Lost sales. And if the rumors are true about the 5 being elongated, but not widened, I doubt Apple will sell what they are expecting to.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

1. Apple isn't threatened by Microsoft's phone sales

They're not "threatened" by Samsung sales, either.

Quote:

As for the S3, it pretty much kicks the iP4s in the teeth. Expect over a million sales in the US before the 21st of June. This is what is scaring Apple.

Not really.

• Reply 24 of 66
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're not "threatened" by Samsung sales, either.

Considering that Samsung sells more smartphones than any other company, that comment is just plain silly...

• Reply 25 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Considering that Samsung sells more smartphones than any other company, that comment is just plain silly...

Considering that Apple makes all the profit in the industry, that comment is just plain silly… 

• Reply 26 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Considering that Apple makes all the profit in the industry, that comment is just plain silly… 

Well, to be fair only around 75% or so at last count. image

• Reply 27 of 66

Quote:

Right, because since Apple already makes the MOST profit, they have NO interest in any growing their profit anymore. /s

Your logic never ceases to amaze me...

• Reply 28 of 66
    Samsung is changing this, starting with the S3. No contract S3 is selling for $550 on AT&T. Now do a Google search for "Samsung Tizen". Unless you are deaf, dumb and blind you can see where Samsung is headed and why Apple is threatened.
  • Reply 29 of 66

What's so threatening about Tizen?  Looks like more half-assed, half-supported linux as usual

• Reply 30 of 66
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Has there ever been a consumer backlash against Apple for any of these patent lawsuits? What makes you think one will happen this time?

In the sense that folks stop buying iPhones etc no. but there is always and already is a huge feedback back lash all over various sites. Engadget for example is packed with people bashing Apple over this. And not light hearted jabs, there's near death threats level stuff. Sad part is that most of it is taking jabs about the Siri interface so clearly they didn't bother to read what patent is being invoked because it's not trade dress. 

Course if Apple was the one being accused of infringing they would be cheering that the big bad Apple is about to get smacked. Even if the patent in question is bases off anything in the accused product etc. 

• Reply 31 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You know how this will play in the tech media though - that Apple is trying to stifle competition and prevent a (in some eyes) superior phone from hitting the market.  Frankly I think it's a bit ridiculous.

Yep. that's almost word for word what all the naysayers are saying. 

• Reply 32 of 66

Quote:

I don't know of anyone intelligent that wants that. People really just want unique systems that bring something to the table. 

It's not really unique systems. Just unique choices, unique implementations. Is it really a choice if we are basically getting the same thing done the same way every time. Look at the '604 patent that Apple is saying was copied. That's a search patent and yeah perhaps it's a great tech for search but is it the best one. If Samsung etc are forced to come up with their own tech they might hit on something that wipes the floor with Apple. 

• Reply 33 of 66
    What's so threatening about Tizen?  Looks like more half-assed, half-supported linux as usual
    There is nothing threatening about Tizen by itself. But if you can't figure out where Samsung is going with it, don't expect me to draw it out for you. I don't have several days to help you figure it out.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

drop down notifications and push e-mail say hi.

• Reply 35 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In the sense that folks stop buying iPhones etc no. but there is always and already is a huge feedback back lash all over various sites. Engadget for example is packed with people bashing Apple over this. And not light hearted jabs, there's near death threats level stuff. Sad part is that most of it is taking jabs about the Siri interface so clearly they didn't bother to read what patent is being invoked because it's not trade dress. 

Course if Apple was the one being accused of infringing they would be cheering that the big bad Apple is about to get smacked. Even if the patent in question is bases off anything in the accused product etc. 

I completely agree that Apple's brand image has taken a beating from all of these lawsuits. Many people associate today's Apple with yesterday's Microsoft, and I don't see how this is a good thing.

These lawsuits could be an effective tactic if they were actually benefiting Apple, but almost all of these cases have resulted in rulings not in Apple's favor, with the rest being 'watered-down' rulings with nominal impact.

• Reply 36 of 66

Quote:

I completely agree that Apple's brand image has taken a beating from all of these lawsuits. Many people associate today's Apple with yesterday's Microsoft, and I don't see how this is a good thing.

These lawsuits could be an effective tactic if they were actually benefiting Apple, but almost all of these cases have resulted in rulings not in Apple's favor, with the rest being 'watered-down' rulings with nominal impact.

NOT TRUE!!!!

The expenditure of probably hundreds of millions in these suits is successful in that the following products are to this day off shelves

1. The....uhhhh.....the....ammmm....the uhhh........

Tallest skil, help me out, what cant i buy cause of these lawsuits?

• Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

NOT TRUE!!!!

The expenditure of probably hundreds of millions in these suits is successful in that the following products are to this day off shelves

1. The....uhhhh.....the....ammmm....the uhhh........

Tallest skil, help me out, what cant i buy cause of these lawsuits?

You can't buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, you have to settle for a Galaxy Tab 10.1N instead !!!  Argh, that 10.1N has it's speakers pointing forward instead of to the side...

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

You can't buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, you have to settle for a Galaxy Tab 10.1N instead !!!  Argh, that 10.1N has it's speakers pointing forward instead of to the side...

THE HORRORRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

• Reply 39 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    The average consumer will care about this just as much as they did in the past. 

To the tune of continued billions in profit for Apple. When Apple commands the amount and quality of consumer mindshare that they do, the only result will be sales and profit. 

Still waiting for the competition to change the game the way Apple did in 2001, June 2007, January 2010, and probably any number of other times that the rest of this turkey of an industry can't even fathom. 

I don't feel one bit sorry for any competitor's product getting held up. Any number of them, Samsung, HTC, Moto - any of them, could have been the ones to stand up on stage in June 2007 and demo a game-changer. Another chance to do the same in January 2010. No one did. Except Apple. Where the hell was everyone else?  Sitting around with their thumbs in their ass, that's where. And now they're getting screwed for their laziness. Boo-hoo.

Agree 100%

lamewing wrote: »
    "I would much rather see Apple use their time and money continuing to DEVELOP hardware and software versus paying lawyers.

They did. That's what this is all about. Apple developed things and Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Google, etc all copied it.

If a burglar breaks into your house, you call the police.
    philgar wrote: »
    So apparently, if you don't create what everyone calls innovative, you should never be able to compete in the market.

No one ever suggested anything like that. What he said was that you shouldn't substitute outright theft for innovation.
    e_veritas wrote: »

Why is it silly? You said that Apple is threatened by Samsung. Where's the evidence to back up your claim?
    mac.world wrote: »
    Samsung is changing this, starting with the S3. No contract S3 is selling for $550 on AT&T. Now do a Google search for "Samsung Tizen". Unless you are deaf, dumb and blind you can see where Samsung is headed and why Apple is threatened.
    mac.world wrote: »
    There is nothing threatening about Tizen by itself. But if you can't figure out where Samsung is going with it, don't expect me to draw it out for you. I don't have several days to help you figure it out.

Why don't you explain to us why Apple should be scared of Tizen?

Even better, why not explain it to Samsung? They're obviously not convinced - since they can't seem to decide between Android or WIndows Mobile or Tizen or Linux or a few other options. If Tizen is so great, why do they need so many different OSs?

More importantly, where's the evidence that Tizen is so great? I've been hearing since the iPhone came out about how technology xxxx would blow Apple out of the water. It hasn't happened yet, so I'll wait for reality rather than accepting your delusions.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Yep. that's almost word for word what all the naysayers are saying. 
    Just to be clear, I think what Apple is doing is ridiculous. Plus the chances of them stopping the SIII from being sold in the USA is next to none.