26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not unless you have very small hands. My iPhone usage is often in a single hand. Then again I have size 15 shoes and could actually benefit from a larger phone with a bit more roomy spacing of keyboard keys.

I actually don't use it single handed often.  

Maybe when lying in bed is the only time.  Even then I find single hand usage annoying.  Especially with the likes of the twitter app placing the "done" button for pictures at the far upper right of the screen - which means i mess around with the phone to get my thumb up that high.

Going to a 16:9 will make that worse.

• Reply 42 of 126
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Still completely unsold on 16:9. Will continue to be unsold on it after launch.

But as long as I don't have to slide my hand up and down the thing like a TV remote, I'll give it a go, I guess.

If they ditched the big round home button that you are so fond of we could have a larger screen without increasing the size of the device too much.

• Reply 43 of 126

Quote:

Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.

Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

Can you compare two screens

1024x786 

to

1024x600

People are fearing the next iphone will become the later in landscape, less info.

EDIT:

I have used the power of my work PC to develop this representation of what I mean

Both fit to width, 960 on one, 1136 on other.   

sidebyside.png

• Reply 44 of 126
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

I mentioned in another thread why what you're saying here is foolish. Did you read that?

Buttonless phones with 90+% screen-to-body ratio is the future.

It seems like you and Apple are going to get stuck in the past.

• Reply 45 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

It seems like you and Apple are going to get stuck in the past.

Well, I'm sure glad that apps never crash or freeze and lock up the system in any way at any time, that's for sure. Particularly on Android.

• Reply 46 of 126
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Five bucks says no matter what is announced, the whining will not stop.

• Reply 47 of 126
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

This thing is going to look great for a remote control for the apple tv set... As a phone...ugggghhh... Apple think they can do no wrong these days? Let's see them releasing almost the same design, just a bit thinner and with a metal back and the same width screen width at 16:9... boy is it going to sell well...

• Reply 48 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Five bucks says no matter what is announced, the whining will not stop.

A bet that easy and you don't go for "a new iMac says"? image

The good bets would be ones that predict specifically what the whining will cover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Apple think they can do no wrong these days? Let's see them releasing almost the same design, just a bit thinner and with a metal back and the same width screen width at 16:9... boy is it going to sell well...

We now take you to AppleInsider on December 15, 2012:

"The report for last month's smartphone sales are in. First is the new iPhone. Second is the iPhone 4S. Third is the iPhone 4. Fourth is the Samwhatever Galaxy v. whatever-they'll-be-on-by-then. Fifth is… "

• Reply 49 of 126
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member

Quote:

Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.

Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

Wow, I guess when you don't understand someone else, you can always resort to insults (and completely irrelevant political references). 

If a web page is designed to take up the device's width, making the iPhone wider will make the existing content larger, but show less content vertically since it is narrower. Imagine viewing a tall website like the New York Times in landscape mode. Either on iPhone 4S or "iPhone 5", it'll display the whole thing left to right. But vertically, the 16:9 "iPhone 5" would show less. 

I'm not saying this is a huge problem (holding it in portrait, it will show more content), but it's a valid point. You embarrass yourself. 

• Reply 50 of 126

Quote:

A bet that easy and you don't go for "a new iMac says"? image

The good bets would be ones that predict specifically what the whining will cover."

There's too much whining for me to address specifics. :D  (@!#$!!... still no smileys?)

• Reply 51 of 126
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

He spent time in room 101

• Reply 52 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Wow, I guess when you don't understand someone else, you can always resort to insults (and completely irrelevant political references). 

If a web page is designed to take up the device's width, making the iPhone wider will make the existing content larger, but show less content vertically since it is narrower. Imagine viewing a tall website like the New York Times in landscape mode. Either on iPhone 4S or "iPhone 5", it'll display the whole thing left to right. But vertically, the 16:9 "iPhone 5" would show less. 

I'm not saying this is a huge problem (holding it in portrait, it will show more content), but it's a valid point. You embarrass yourself. 

I had added this to my earlier post, but it needs repeating.

sidebyside.png

• Reply 53 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's too much whining for me to address specifics. :D  (@!#$!!... still no smileys?)

Yeah. :this_is_a_placeholder_filename_for_the_sad_emoticon,_lost,_it_seems,_in_a_world_of_forofor.png:

• Reply 54 of 126

Quote:

Yeah. :this_is_a_placeholder_filename_for_the_sad_emoticon,_lost,_it_seems,_in_a_world_of_forofor.png:

Ha!

• Reply 55 of 126
    urkelurkel Posts: 7member
    Also worth noting, The "one handed iPhone" excuse has always been bull$#!t. Phones haven't been single handed since Touchscreens started being used, and that includes the iPhone at ANY size.

All these articles are just damage control for when people were trying to defend Apple retaining the 3.5" screen on the 4S. Expect to see the same BS reporting when touchscreen Macs arrive.
  • Reply 56 of 126
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Sigh. The vast majority of use is one hand. I use one hand to scroll , my thumb. To type small bits, and use the free hand to type larger emails etc.

My thumb also hits buttons. I use the free hand to pinch Zoo
    That's standard usage.
  • Reply 57 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Sigh. The vast majority of my use is one hand. I use one hand to scroll , my thumb. To type small bits, and use the free hand to type larger emails etc.

My thumb also hits buttons. I use the free hand to pinch Zoo

That's standard usage.

Corrected it for you

• Reply 58 of 126

I think I cracked the riddle and it is staring us right in the face.  Apps developed with 16:9  aspect ratio will be optimized for both the new iphone AND the not-yet-announced iTV (and vice versa)  It almost seems, however, like iPAD would  have to go 16:9  at  some  point...

• Reply 59 of 126
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

First let me say this is another garbage AI article better suited for a slow news day!

As to your comments I'm not sure why everybody gets hung up on aspect ratios. Going 16:9 gives both the user and developer more screen to work with, without making the device awkwardly larger. A longer device will fit the pocket much better than a wider device.

The big advantage comes when viewing documents and doing just about any sort of editing. The current iPhone screen is a real pain in the butt when working with documents or web edit boxes like this one. I really don't understand the negativity here. Further if Apple was smart this really wouldn't be a "new" iPhone but rather a new cell phone added to their line up. Different people have different needs and the single form factor iPhone solution makes about as much sense as having a single size laptop.

Offering the choice of a 3.5" device or a 4" device isn't really much of a choice. If you're really trying to appeal to different demographics then there should be a more significant difference between the two models.

If I thought offering two different sizes of iPhone was the best strategy I'd keep one phone with the current 3.5" screen and introduce a new 4.5" model. The smaller one would retain a 640x960 resolution while the larger one would use the exact same 326ppi LCD cut into 720x1280 panels.

That's essentially what's happening in the Android market. A vast array of screen sizes and shapes is slowly boiling down to what is essentially a binary choice:

1. big 720p screens with the latest high performance specs and Android 4.0

2. compact phones that fit easily into a shirt pocket and typically run Android 2.2 or 2.3.

Unlike Android, I would ensure both sizes of iPhone had excellent performance and the same OS.

I think Apple could afford to target both the compact and large form factor markets, but won't. I think they're fixated on the one-size-fits-most approach of offering only a single product with the simple name "iPhone". Continuing to offer older models at lower price points is the only market differentiation they appear willing to make.

Going with a single 4" 640x1136 iPhone makes sense. It offers a little more screen and a little more battery without significantly harming one handed operation for men. Based on my observations women typically use two hands to interact with their smart phone screens so making the phone a bit bigger won't make any difference to them.

• Reply 59 of 126
    I seem to learn something new every day here.

I just would never in a month of Sundays have guessed that all hands are an identical size.