Riot reported at Apple partner Foxconn's Chengdu factory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A riot involving "hundreds" of workers broke out at Foxconn's Chengdu factory in southwest China as disgruntled employees clashed with security guards reportedly over "past grievances" involving working conditions.

The incident occurred on Monday night after an unknown number of employees who supposedly had "grudges" against Foxconn hindered two company security guards from apprehending a thief, according to a report from Want China Times (via BGR).

Apparently the situation escalated from there as rioters threw trash cans, office furniture, bottles and fireworks from the upper floors of an on-site male dormitory, destroying public facilities on the ground. The disturbance caused the dorm's administration to call in local police forces, bringing hundreds of officers down on the plant to quell the uprising. It was reported that nearly 1,000 workers participated in the riot though that number is unconfirmed.

It is unclear what exactly prompted the two-hour conflict and the validity of initial reports from Chinese human rights advocacy website Molihua are questionable.

No injuries were reported at the scene, though dozens of people were arrested as the police force made its way through the multi-story dormitory complex.

Chengdu Riot
Overhead view of the Foxconn dormitory that was the site of a reported riot on Monday night. | Source: Molihua

Foxconn's Chengdu factory, which allegedly produces parts for Apple's iPad and iPhone product lines, was the site of a deadly explosion in 2011 that killed two workers. No official statement regarding the riot has been released.

Foxconn, one of the world's largest electronics manufacturers with partners like Microsoft, Sony and HP, was painted as being a sweatshop operator after a disparaging story about Apple's supply chain by monologist Mike Daisey aired on the popular U.S. radio program "This American Life." The claims of horrifying working conditions and abysmal wages made in Daisey's tale were ultimately proved false, but media outlets continued to keep a close eye on both Apple and Foxconn.

Despite the lies and exaggerations, Apple joined the Fair Labor Association which launched an independent audit into Foxconn's business practices and found most of the company's dealings to be above board. The Chinese company later vowed to fix a number of violations the FLA uncovered and announced in May that Apple would be sharing any cost associated with improving factory conditions.

It was reported on Wednesday that Apple is planning to open a retail store in Chengdu sometime soon but there is no indication that Monday's riot was in any way tied to that decision.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    ... and many will consider such action Long Overdue.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

What's the bet that CNN is the first in the US to report this?

• Reply 3 of 38

For cripes sake, Foxconn in also HP's partner and Dell's partner, and dozen's of other brand name's partners. We don't even know if this factory makes Apple products, or if the employees make Apple products. 

• Reply 4 of 38

We know what we're worth so they need to keep giving us more, more, more!

• Reply 5 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

We know what we're worth so they need to keep giving us more, more, more!

Not sure what you're trying to say here. No doubt they have some grievance that isn't trivial if they're willing to risk bringing the Chinese police down on them. I doubt this is over the food quality or just needing a blanket. It would have to be something more serious to risk clashing with the cops.

I agree that Foxconn partners with lots of other companies and whatever problems are there, Apple gets an unfair share of the blame. But I have to side with the workers on this one until I get more details.

• Reply 6 of 38
    palex19palex19 Posts: 18member

Riots and demonstrations are common things in China. 

It happens sometime in our company in Shanghai with a workforce of 250 persons. So with factory of thousands of employees, this is normal thing to happen. 

Why it happens, because this is the way people express themselves here in China since they don't have unions. 

• Reply 7 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I have no idea what the cause is but I did say when their hours were reduced that having so many young people in a small area with considerably more idle time, and potentially packing in more bodies into the same area to keep the lines moving, that it could very well be an issue in and of itself. It would be ironic if the riot occurred because they weren't allowed more than 36 overtime hours per month.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no what the cause is but I did say when these hours were reduced that having so many young people in a small area with considerably more idle time, and potentially even packing in more bodies into the same area to keep the lines moving, could very well be an issue in and of itself. It would be ironic if the riot occurred because they weren't allowed more than 36 overtime hours per month.

That must be what DaHarder was referring to!

• Reply 9 of 38
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

I dunno...judging by that photograph and the size of that riot, at least .01% of Foxconn looks to be rioting... Apple must be shaking in their boots...

*sarcasm*

• Reply 10 of 38
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Foxconn's Chengdu factory, which allegedly produces parts for Apple's iPad and iPhone product lines....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

For cripes sake, Foxconn in also HP's partner and Dell's partner, and dozen's of other brand name's partners. We don't even know if this factory makes Apple products, or if the employees make Apple products. 

:Roll eyes:

• Reply 11 of 38
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

"Occupy Foxconn" is sponsored by... :)

• Reply 12 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Gentleman, Welcome to Foxconn!

The first rule of Foxconn is that you do not talk about Foxconn.

The second rule of Foxconn is that YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FOXCONN!!!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

While I find the article fairly even-handed regarding Apple (it is after all AI), I'm afraid truth is irrelevant in the world of pundits and analysts. To the former this is proof that Apple is in decline; to the latter an excuse to short Apple stock.

• Reply 14 of 38
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Why does everyone have to get on Apple's back for this? I'm not Apple's greatest supporter, but lets be real.

About 85% or more of the products on shelves are 'made in china'. Your phone, your t-shirt, your pants, your nikes, everything. I have my fair share of problems with Apple (their insstance that I can't personalize my phone using a different onscreen keyboard color, background and style for example), but having things made in china is not one of them. Hell, i bet the plate i'm eating my sandwich out of right now is made in china

.....*goes to check*.....

yep, MADE IN CHINA

• Reply 15 of 38
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Apple could care less about these people. They put on a facade they care. No way in hell. They care about what they gain in profits and what takeover they can obtain with other companies who are at risk.Very selfish and weird company to be employed in.

• Reply 16 of 38
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

maybe one day all our tech products will be made in the USA.

we can expect to pay 10 times what we pay now and we can expect items to ship 2 years after they are announced.

then we can complain about that !!

• Reply 17 of 38
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member

What is China going to do when all of it's workers (slave laborers) get tired of working for nothing and revolt?  More importantly, what will the US do when this happens?

• Reply 18 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

:Roll eyes:
    That info may not have been added at that point. When I first read this AI article it was a title and the bolded blurb at the top. No actual story or a photo.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member

You could substitute the word "prison" for "Foxcon" in most stories about Foxcon and the story wouldn't sound much different.

• Reply 20 of 38
    mcrcnmcrcn Posts: 27member

The one thing that does not jive with all these stories is that Apple products are not known for assembly line defects.  It seems to me disgruntle workers would be sloppy and the products would have a high level of defects or even be sabotaged.