Google unveils new 3D maps coming to iOS and Android

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Apple has a huge advantage because of the C3 Technology.  

From 500 meters in the air, they can get accuracy to 10 cm on the grown.  They can also cover 100 square km in about an hour.  They also have an automated process to generate more consistent 3D maps.

These stats are from SAAB and may have been improved by Apple.  Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNemPTHOKWg

Which is great for 3D but it doesn't tell you if a road is one way which is needed for travel directions or what the address of the nearest Starbucks is.

The battle between Google and Apple Maps (I wonder if they will come up with a better name) will not be over 3D but the quality and coverage of the map data.

• Reply 82 of 93
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Where are you getting your information on normal use?  On my Galaxy Nexus (yes, I have an Android phone) I use turn by turn navigation a couple times a week.  I never use street view because navigation lets me watch the road and simply listen to prompts.  Plus, the street view image of your destination is shown when you're close enough to see the building.  If Apple builds in turn by turn navigation into iOS maps, you'll quickly realize that it is the key feature to any mobile maps application.

That's because you are driving in a car and all you care about is turn by turn.  That was my point.  You think that what you want to see is what "everyone" uses.  This will seem very strange to Americans but lots and lots and lots of people don't actually even drive cards anymore.  People use the maps in their car, sure, but not all of them use it as a turn by turn navigator, this is by far *not* the primary use of maps.  You will never believe me because you don't care to think beyond what you think you'd like to see in the product.  

Street view is central and most people use it all the time.  The exception would be people who drive a lot like you and are very logical point a to point b type of folks.  You are not the norm. 

• Reply 83 of 93
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

In my opinion, Google has now highlighted just how challenging a truly exceptional map and navigation service is to develop and deploy to millions of users.  Google has demonstrated that despite many years of development effort they continue to provide beta quality products.  Google has now paved the way for Apple to release their Maps app with less functionality by spending a considerable amount of their demonstration focusing on the difficulty of developing such a solution. 

As far as features are concerned, people use that which is available especially if the solution provides ease of use.  Any speculation is just silly at this point.

• Reply 84 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Neat feature but didn't require a media event IMHO.

You don't think? It's Google sensing a threat. They WILL do whatever the can to show face. JUst look around at their products. Familiar iteration somewhere?

I doubt Apple will show less than this regardless it will be somehow a 'wow' factor when combine with other technology i.e. Siri etc. If not, the fact that they are doing away with Google Maps entirely brings equal joy to me.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The battle between Google and Apple Maps (I wonder if they will come up with a better name) will not be over 3D but the quality and coverage of the map data.

I don't think it will be called Apple Maps or iMaps or any brand name. It will just be an API in the OS, with no web front end, and the included iOS app just called "Maps."

• Reply 86 of 93
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

They used an iPad and it still crashed 4 times. Had they used an android tablet the damn thing probably wouldn't have even executed.

Funny.  The app didn't crash a single time on the either Xoom they used.  Smooth as butter. 

I'm not saying that Android tablets run better or something, I'm just calling you out on your nonsense.  Did you actually watch the presentation?

• Reply 87 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Apple has a huge advantage because of the C3 Technology.  

From 500 meters in the air, they can get accuracy to 10 cm on the grown.  They can also cover 100 square km in about an hour.

These stats are from SAAB and may have been improved by Apple.  Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNemPTHOKWg

Yeah.  Too bad that won't give you Streetview.  For that, you have to be at ground-level.

3D maps are nice.  But what's more useful, 3D maps or being able to see on your phone, exactly what you see in front of you?

The one path Apple could leap ahead is by combining mapping functions with augmented reality.  Streetview in real-time.  That would be something.

• Reply 88 of 93

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dbd5QO2Mwi44&sa=U&ei=ULDQT5jZOePq2QXyo8y9DA&ved=0CBMQtwIwAA&sig2=0p0E7WFzWdtnDcDQSXi34Q&usg=AFQjCNGJ0xnMfiu44ipA-VhO1nYJGtyDBQ

That's the kind of thing Google is amazing at and Apple is not likely to ever attempt.  And that's what has me curious about how good Apple's maps will be outside the US. 

With Google you can submit changes and they are updated pretty quickly.  I had a bridge on my street closed for construction.  The day it was closed and the day it was opened, somebody submitted updates and they were reflected on the map.  Get away from the US, and public input surely helps.  Hopefully, Apple's maps are as responsive to public input.  And hopefully, it's not another US-centric product.

• Reply 89 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

You don't think? It's Google sensing a threat. They WILL do whatever the can to show face. JUst look around at their products. Familiar iteration somewhere?I doubt Apple will show less than this regardless it will be somehow a 'wow' factor when combine with other technology i.e. Siri etc. If not, the fact that they are doing away with Google Maps entirely brings equal joy to me.

I'd bet that there won't be much more 'wow'.  It'll be maps with an Apple database.  3D thrown on.  The 'wow' will be directions from Siri.

• Reply 90 of 93
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dbd5QO2Mwi44&sa=U&ei=ULDQT5jZOePq2QXyo8y9DA&ved=0CBMQtwIwAA&sig2=0p0E7WFzWdtnDcDQSXi34Q&usg=AFQjCNGJ0xnMfiu44ipA-VhO1nYJGtyDBQ

That's the kind of thing Google is amazing at and Apple is not likely to ever attempt.  And that's what has me curious about how good Apple's maps will be outside the US. 

With Google you can submit changes and they are updated pretty quickly.  I had a bridge on my street closed for construction.  The day it was closed and the day it was opened, somebody submitted updates and they were reflected on the map.  Get away from the US, and public input surely helps.  Hopefully, Apple's maps are as responsive to public input.  And hopefully, it's not another US-centric product.

You think it is amazing that Google needed four years to build a complete map of a single city?  I think it is pretty amazing too and I agree that Apple is not likely to ever attempt such a pitiful excuse for needing four years to complete a map of a single city.

• Reply 91 of 93
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You think it is amazing that Google needed four years to build a complete map of a single city?  I think it is pretty amazing too and I agree that Apple is not likely to ever attempt such a pitiful excuse for needing four years to complete a map of a single city.

Apple has more than 100 billion dollars. Apple doesn't need to ever attempt making maps or creating anything from scratch. When Apple needs a map, Apple can buy one.

Can you please paste the entire history of Apple's acquisitions related to maps once again? They are always as informative and entertaining as the first time. Thank you.

• Reply 92 of 93

Did you actually see the presentation?  The residents of that city used Mapmaker to build the map themselves.

That's what is amazing.  Google created a tool to enable people in communities they weren't able to cover to build a very accurate map themselves, over time.

Apple's maps will be great for the USA.  There's no doubt about that.  But I'm genuinely curious if they'd be able to pull off something like this.  Maybe Apple can map the whole world immediately....

• Reply 93 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Bringing things up-to-date on 3D maps, Google released their 7.0.x Maps update today, and it includes the 3D imagery demoed last month:

What’s New in Version 7.0.0

• Tour guide: Explore places you never thought to search for with new tours of your favorite cities, historic landmarks and natural wonders.

• 3D imagery: Take flight above entire cities in 3D. Get started with Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco, Geneva or Rome and look for new additions in the coming weeks. Available for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later.