26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Would you guys stop crying?  

Pre-WWDC excitement is ok.

Pre-WWDC rumors, oh my!  doom and gloom! is so annoying.

Just shut up and wait for Monday.

Thanks.

You're new to this schtick, aren't you? image

You're also new to this site, aren't you? "Shut up and wait for monday" is what you do on discussions.apple.com. We're a rumor site.

• Reply 82 of 126
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member

Put me in the taller AND wider camp.  Just taller would be kind of ugly.  You spend most of your time holding it in portrait mode and in that mode you need to grow the width too...unless you want a screen resembling the Kindle Fire.

• Reply 83 of 126
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member

Quote:

Keeping the width of the next iPhone screen the same 640 pixels would also ensure that existing iOS applications written for the iPhone 4S and prior will still run on the device, simply with black "letterbox" bars on the top and bottom.

"If developers don't want to adapt software for iPhone 5, the App can still successfully show on the screen except for the blackened areas on two flanks," Kuo wrote. "That, however, won't prevent the app from functioning the way it's supposed to."

Completely ignored by Kuo and this article is backward compatibility for NEW apps.  Sure, old apps can run fine on the new display size.  But developers who want to take advantage of the new real estate will have to consider how to implement it so it works well on older iPhones, which presumably a lot of developers will want to do because the vast majority of the installed base will be older iPhones.  The last time this kind of transition happened was when the iPad was launched.  We had windowed mode and magnification for iPhone apps, iPad-only apps and universal apps for both iPhone and iPad.  Will the solutions be the same?  Legacy iPhone apps and apps whose developers don't want to re-engineer for the new aspect ratio will run in window mode, iPhone 5-only apps for developers won't don't want to design for the older screens, and then universal apps for all three aspect ratios?  I'm sure developers will adjust but what a pain for them to factor in another screen ratio into their design decisions.  Apple has obviously pulled off this kind of transition before but it's not as seamless as Kuo - and Apple Insider - presents it.  The pros of a new aspect ratio may outweigh the cons but the additional development time and money imposed by the new aspect ratio is real.

• Reply 84 of 126
    cm1ecm1e Posts: 6member

a

• Reply 85 of 126
    cm1ecm1e Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

That "single handed use" graphic is so goddamn ridiculous. Unless you have the hands of a child or you hold an iPhone with the edge on the very first thumb knuckle connected to your hand, it will always be useable with one hand. I can't believe people still post that kind of bullshit over and over again. I have NEVER seen anyone with any smartphone hold one like that person does in the picture. That is literally bullshit summed up in a picture. This stupid claim that the iPhone is a one-handed device because of it's width, and wouldn't be at any width wider than it currently is boggles the mind. It's literally a made up "feature" of the iPhone for idiots to latch on to any try and chalk it up as another reason the iPhone is somehow superior in it's design. If you hold your iPhone like that, you're most definitely doing it wrong. A wider device would make absolutely zero difference in one finger usability because literally no one holds their smartphone like that.

You make yourself sound ignorant by saying "literally no one holds their smartphone like that." Shift that pinky under the bottom corner and THAT'S how many people function, at least with iPhones anyway. The size of the iPhone caters to one-handed use beautifully, if you think it's ridiculous than you're only used to larger phones.

• Reply 86 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ddarko wrote: »

Completely ignored by Kuo and this article is backward compatibility for NEW apps.  Sure, old apps can run fine on the new display size.  But developers who want to take advantage of the new real estate will have to consider how to implement it so it works well on older iPhones, which presumably a lot of developers will want to do because the vast majority of the installed base will be older iPhones.  The last time this kind of transition happened was when the iPad was launched.  We had windowed mode and magnification for iPhone apps, iPad-only apps and universal apps for both iPhone and iPad.  Will the solutions be the same?  Legacy iPhone apps and apps whose developers don't want to re-engineer for the new aspect ratio will run in window mode, iPhone 5-only apps for developers won't don't want to design for the older screens, and then universal apps for all three aspect ratios?  I'm sure developers will adjust but what a pain for them to factor in another screen ratio into their design decisions.  Apple has obviously pulled off this kind of transition before but it's not as seamless as Kuo - and Apple Insider - presents it.  The pros of a new aspect ratio may outweigh the cons but the additional development time and money imposed by the new aspect ratio is real.

Apple's development model allows there to be mostly common code for all screen variations but using different .nibs setting up the different displays. I don't think it's going to be a hardship, more an inconvenience of having to add another aspect ratio nib for each screen.
  • Reply 87 of 126
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple's development model allows there to be mostly common code for all screen variations but using different .nibs setting up the different displays. I don't think it's going to be a hardship, more an inconvenience of having to add another aspect ratio nib for each screen.

It's not about whether it's technically easy to code for different screen ratios; it's about UI design choices. You might use the extra space for a interface element that works great on the new phone but is awkward on the smaller screen size so simply porting it back isn't optimal.  It'll work, technically, but it's not ideal.  We saw and still see this on universal apps that default to a common interface and don't take advantage of or wastes the space offered by the iPad.  Or apps that really work well on the iPad but not so much on the smaller iPhone.  Apple's flagship iPhoto app is an example - it's not a bad iPhone app but its interface blossoms on the iPad.  As I said, introducing a new aspect ratio may be a good thing overall but it'll introduce new design fragmentation concerns to the iPhone platform.  There is a tangible cost to this decision, it's rare you can have your cake and eat it too.

• Reply 88 of 126
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

That picture is exactly how I hold my iPhone, except I tend to put my fifth finger along the bottom to keep the phone from slipping down.  And as a lefty, I want to thank Apple for conveniently putting the volume buttons on the left side!  I do think they should move the home button down and change it to short/wide capsule shape, which would leave more space for the screen.

Then you aren't holding it like the guy in the picture, and by holding it like you do I'm willing to bet $10 you can reach easily two inches past the edge of your phone with the tip of your thumb.

This entire thing about how the screen size is perfect for one hand use is complete and utter bullshit. Anyone that regurgitates that bullshit should be slapped. There's is nothing in the design of the iPhone that was done so it was a one hand use device. That's utter stupidity to suggest that and anyone who agrees or pushes this viewpoint is a goddamn moron. (not saying you do, and not directing the second part at you at all, just the article in general.)

• Reply 89 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by cm1e View Post

You make yourself sound ignorant by saying "literally no one holds their smartphone like that." Shift that pinky under the bottom corner and THAT'S how many people function, at least with iPhones anyway. The size of the iPhone caters to one-handed use beautifully, if you think it's ridiculous than you're only used to larger phones.

You make yourself sound ignorant when you say, change your grip from the one in the picture and it's no different. I said no one holds their phone like the person in the picture. If you change the way you hold it from the way it's pictured, then you aren't holding it that way. Are you really that stupid? Do you not have a clue what you just said? The iPhone is useable with one hand, and so are wider phones. This bullshit about how the iPhone is better than larger phones because of it's screen size/formfactor size is utter bullshit. I hold my phone the exact way you do. Guess what? My thumb can touch over two inches past the edge of my phone without risk of dropping it. The screen size/phone sie has absolutely nothing to do with how useable it is with one hand. The iPhone is a great phone and I've owned every single one that been made, nice ignorant assumption on your part there, but this whole bullshit surrounding the iPhone and it's great one handed usability is just that. Utter and complete fanboy idiot bullshit. EVERY smartphone is easily used one handed if you  don't hold it like an idiot would.

• Reply 90 of 126

Quote:

Then you aren't holding it like the guy in the picture, and by holding it like you do I'm willing to bet $10 you can reach easily two inches past the edge of your phone with the tip of your thumb.

I expect my $10 shortly. To reach two inches past the edge of my phone with the tip of my thumb, the phone must be resting on the intermediate and distal phalanges of all my fingers save for my pinky, which is wrapped under the phone to prevent it from FALLING, as it would if it were not.

Absolutely no one can actually hold a phone in that position.

Quote:

There's is nothing in the design of the iPhone that was done so it was a one hand use device. That's utter stupidity to suggest that and anyone who agrees or pushes this viewpoint is a goddamn moron. (not saying you do, and not directing the second part at you at all, just the article in general.)

You need to calm the heck down. image

• Reply 91 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely no one can actually hold a phone in that position.

I do it every day. Want to continue speaking is absolutes?

• Reply 92 of 126

Quote:

Only if you think you can, of course.

You hold your phone only on the last two bones of your fingers and manipulate it with the thumb of that hand?

• Reply 93 of 126
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

Quote:

Why don't you go around your house and measure the width of all your remote controls and get back to us. Since nobody can deny that the designed purpose of a TV, Cable, Stereo Remote control is designed specifically for one handed low light use, let us all know what the average width of the devices are. Then go and measure the iPhone.

• Reply 94 of 126
    gs turngs turn Posts: 30member

The graphics used in this article are deceptive.  They do not truly represent facts.  They are done to make a point but are misleading in the process. The aspect ratio for the graphic of the iPhone 4S is not correct, it shows a narrower screen for the screen height.  The graphic for a wider screen is extremely deceptive because it is way out of proportion to the 4S examples Aspect Ratio.  Below you can see what the same aspect ratio used in the 4S graphic would be if scaled up on the other graphic. There are 2 examples RED is how wide the screen would really be at the height shown.  The BLUE is how tall the screen would be at the width shown.  You can see they exaggerated the graphic to make their point. Also if you measure there is a wider orange reach area on the 4S graphic than on the other graphic the one on the 4S is 8% wider.

Aspect.png

• Reply 95 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Why don't you go around your house and measure the width of all your remote controls and get back to us. Since nobody can deny that the designed purpose of a TV, Cable, Stereo Remote control is designed specifically for one handed low light use, let us all know what the average width of the devices are. Then go and measure the iPhone.

I have and use one remote and it's about half the width of my iPhone. That's has absolutely zero to do with the article as it sits. They assume that the design is because you are holding your phone in a death grip with the lower edge of your phone buried in the palm of your hand. As a few people have responded to me, people hold their phones with three fingers behind it, the pinky underneath and use their thumb to point/swipe. Every edge of the iPhone screen it more than easily reached and most people can reach quite a bit farther than the edge of the iPhone. This article is complete and utter bullshit. It makes too many generalizations and claims that everyone that has an iPhone holds it with the bottom corner of their phone butted up against the thumb where it exits the palm. That couldn't be further from the truth. Only when you get to the godawful and ridiculously large phones do you have an issue with reaching the screen, but the article is both disingenuous and factually wrong. The iPhone won't suffer a single bit from being a little wider or taller because 99.9% of people who own a smart phone don't hold it as tightly as they try to demonstrate.

• Reply 96 of 126

Quote:

I have and use one remote and it's about half the width of my iPhone. That's has absolutely zero to do with the article as it sits. They assume that the design is because you are holding your phone in a death grip with the lower edge of your phone buried in the palm of your hand. As a few people have responded to me, people hold their phones with three fingers behind it, the pinky underneath and use their thumb to point/swipe. Every edge of the iPhone screen it more than easily reached and most people can reach quite a bit farther than the edge of the iPhone. This article is complete and utter bullshit. It makes too many generalizations and claims that everyone that has an iPhone holds it with the bottom corner of their phone butted up against the thumb where it exits the palm. That couldn't be further from the truth. Only when you get to the godawful and ridiculously large phones do you have an issue with reaching the screen, but the article is both disingenuous and factually wrong. The iPhone won't suffer a single bit from being a little wider or taller because 99.9% of people who own a smart phone don't hold it as tightly as they try to demonstrate.

You know why you don't hold it in a "death grip' as illustrated in the photo and proped up by your pinky as you say?

Simply, because in the "death grip" it is harder for your thumb to accurately touch the lower interior portion of the phone. When typing with one hand the phone is shifted back and forth subtly while tapping with the thumb. This is MUCH easier with the smaller phone. It is not always about how far across the screen your thumb can reach but also how much your thumb can actually bend inwards must be taken into account.

• Reply 97 of 126

Quote:

You hold your phone only on the last two bones of your fingers and manipulate it with the thumb of that hand?

I hold my phone like this. As do 99.9999% of every smartphone user I've ever seen, everwhere in the world.

IMG_0004.JPG

Absolutely no one I've ever seen with any iPhone, smartphone, or iPod Touch ever holds it this way. This is the use case and function that the article suggest and gives superiority to the iPhone's screen size and design. Stupid photo won't rotate correctly but you get the idea.

IMG_0005.JPG

What is presented here is completely false and is not real world use case. No one holds their phone like that and the sweeping arc garbage they talk about is based on how absolutely no one holds any smartphone. You'd have to grip the entire phone in a way that isn't practical, comfortable, or useable to make their declarations true. The iPhone design is great, but not because you can reach every corner of the phone holding it unnaturally. Making it slightly larger in every dimension would pose very little issue because 99.99% of people hold the phone like I do and that allows for much more freedom of movement than the BS that AI claims and people still continue to blindly and stupidly repeat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

You know why you don't hold it in a "death grip' as illustrated in the photo and proped up by your pinky as you say?

Simply, because in the "death grip" it is harder for your thumb to accurately touch the lower interior portion of the phone. When typing with one hand the phone is shifted back and forth subtly while tapping with the thumb. This is MUCH easier with the smaller phone. It is not always about how far across the screen your thumb can reach but also how much your thumb can actually bend inwards must be taken into account.

So, basically I don't hold the way the article suggests because it makes it harder to use the iPhone that way? No shit. That's what I've been going on about. This article is based on a completely inaccurate use case to try and justify their love of the iPhone design. I love it too, it's the best phone on the market, but this whole article is crap simply because they try and make the case that isn't based on fact. No one holds the phone like they suggest because it doesn't work that way, it's not comfortable, easy to use, or natural. I know why I hold my phone the way I do, what I don't know is why idiots and AppleInsider keep trying to convince people that the iPhone is great because they say you use it in a way no one does. It's idiotic and for some reason AppleInsider writers and those that link to them are too stupid to take 5 seconds and read what they are claiming. It's just flat out wrong.

• Reply 98 of 126

Quote:

What is presented here is completely false and is not real world use case. No one holds their phone like that…

Okay. You're wrong. I think we're done here.

• Reply 99 of 126

Quote:

Tallest, common, he is right with how many people actually hold their phone. I at least made the point that the overall reach of your thumb is not the only factor to be considered.

I believe he is wrong too, but I attempted to make a valid reason.

• Reply 100 of 126

Quote:

How am I wrong? You grip your phone like a baseball?