73% of iPhone buyers choose 4S, 38% switch from Android or BlackBerry

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

I upgraded early to the 4s as a hedge against something way too sideways in the next one (they go for the PearPhone and I'm going to have serious reservations for instance), every company being capable of a shark moment and I really like the look of the 4 style casing so getting back at the edge of the internals seemed prudent. Great phone, no-complaints service (AT&T both at home and in NYC and DC for weekends) terrific companion to my laptop and recently my pad.

• Reply 22 of 53
    erikvdoerikvdo Posts: 11member

Let me first say that I'm a long-time Apple fan and I've used an iPhone since early 2008. Also, I've worked with Android phones, and I've never been impressed by any of them. So if I'm biased in any way, I'm pro iPhone.

That being said, this survey seems to be custom built to show a result in a disingenuous way. Of the participants, 38% of them are switching from an Android or Blackberry phone, to an iPhone. Sure, I'll buy that. However, the missing bit of data is what portion of that 38% is switching from Android and what portion is switching from Blackberry. It could be 25% Blackberry and only 13% Android. With RIM obviously being a ship that is taking on water and with no bilge pump in sight, I'd definitely bet on Blackberry being the lion's share of the would-be switchers. The point I'm trying to make is that we just don't know because that information wasn't given, and it seems to me that the omission was intentional. Many people will glance at the title and just see the following:

73% of iPhone buyers choose 4S, 38% switch from Android...

No, the article's content doesn't slant that way, but even in this discussion thread people are largely treating this as a purely iOS vs. Android debate, which kinda proves my point.

• Reply 23 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you know how 'stats work' then, no, it's not.

(Tea Time Jenson beat me to it, but I'll leave my post as is; it's worth noting at least twice).

Considering it's a big part of my day job, you'd be fired on the same day for thinking so around here and building a report from it.  But you're entitled to your own opinion. Keep in mind Neilson uses no less than 70,000 for the same study. 

• Reply 24 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Although not in the survey, I am one of those that switched from an Android to an iPhone 4S. It was my first iPhone. I am happy I made the switch, but at the same time miss many things like that nice large screen and so much more flexibility to customize the UI like I wanted. I appreciate the positive points as well on the iPhone like better apps, better security, features like Siri, etc.. but sometimes I feel like a libertarian in the smart world dominated by two rivals. I am fiscally conservative but socially liberal but realize politics will continue to be dominated by republicans and democrats even though most Americans probably are more libertarian in their actual views. I want a larger screen and more customization like Android offers, but also want the Apple ecosystem of apps, quality hardware, and attention to detail. A 4" or larger iPhone will probably keep me in the Apple camp but I sure hope they offer some new features in iOS. Scrolling through 20 pages of apps to find something when you can't remember the app name is not very efficient. I want a GUI layer in front of the apps. Maybe it is time for iOS to steal some ideas from OS X.

• Reply 25 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Keep in mind Neilson uses no less than 70,000 for the same study. 

Yeah, and look how well that turns out…

• Reply 26 of 53
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The iphone is not a good phone, but it's the best convergence computer/phone device. The 4 couldn't even place calls if held a certain way. Signal and reception is at best average, sar is among the highest, voice quality is amongst the worst. Apple had to go to ios 5 to allow the user to delete individual calls.

I'll make a prediction, if they do release the 16:9 tall ugly model it will be the biggest flop in the iphone's history.

How sad must your life be to troll on a Apple website?  

• Reply 27 of 53
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

In other words, 62% of Android/Blackberry users don't switch to iPhone.

• Reply 28 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Agreed.

Also how many are switching away from iOS to Android?

Well how many do you think? This is the sort of question that at this point doesn't need to be asked.

Apple has the highest retention rates in the industry. 

• Reply 29 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Congratulations on your new purchase but for the benefit of the community please expand on just how email,  BBM and phone capabilities are better on the Blackberry?

Email on the Blackberry is pushed from Blackberry servers when it arrives instead of when my phone checks for mail every 15 minutes. My wife gets emails faster on her Blackberry than I get the same emails on my iPhone. Setting up email on the Blackberry is as simple as typing in the email address and password. Blackberry does the rest. My company tech support finally got email set up on my iPhone but I can only receive not send. BBM only works between Blackberrys but it is instant and even tells me when someone is typing. I can set up a group and send the same message to everyone at the same time. Call quality on the Blackberry is exceptional. Many times I thought the person on the other end had hung up because it was so quiet. The iPhone voice quality is poor. I also miss the keyboard. I have to text with one finger on the iPhone, but used two thumbs on the Blackberry easily.

It's easy to see why the iPhone is putting the Blackberry out of business. Apps and internet on the iPhone are comparable to my iMac especially on wifi. Blackberry's browser nearly is worthless. I guess the perfect solution is a 4g iPad and a Blackberry.

• Reply 30 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

Email on the Blackberry is pushed from Blackberry servers when it arrives instead of when my phone checks for mail every 15 minutes. My wife gets emails faster on her Blackberry than I get the same emails on my iPhone. Setting up email on the Blackberry is as simple as typing in the email address and password. Blackberry does the rest. My company tech support finally got email set up on my iPhone but I can only receive not send. BBM only works between Blackberrys but it is instant and even tells me when someone is typing. I can set up a group and send the same message to everyone at the same time. Call quality on the Blackberry is exceptional. Many times I thought the person on the other end had hung up because it was so quiet. The iPhone voice quality is poor. I also miss the keyboard. I have to text with one finger on the iPhone, but used two thumbs on the Blackberry easily.

It's easy to see why the iPhone is putting the Blackberry out of business. Apps and internet on the iPhone are comparable to my iMac especially on wifi. Blackberry's browser nearly is worthless. I guess the perfect solution is a 4g iPad and a Blackberry.

IPhone has Push e-mail services. 

You don't need BBM when you have WhatsApp.

Blackberries are by now quite antiquated. Most of the advantages RIM *had* with their devices have been nullified. Even the "text and e-mail machine" aspects. There's simply no reason whatsoever to own anything made by RIM at this point unless it's forced on you or you happen to have a special affinity for them (fair enough.)

• Reply 31 of 53
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    I just switched from Blackberry to the iPhone 4s. The apps and connectivity are great but the email, BBM, and phone capabilities of the Blackberry were far better. If Blackberry stays in business, I'll probably switch back when my contract ends.

Switch back to what?

I Don't think they keep up the hardware buisness that long. ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 53
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new survey of American iPhone buyers has revealed that 73 percent choose the high-end iPhone 4S, while 38 percent of those buying Apple's smartphone reported switching from Android or BlackBerry.

The latest data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners found that the number of customers switching from Android and BlackBerry to iPhone has increased from 29 percent in the previous survey conducted in February...

It's interesting that there's no breakdown of iOS converts from Android vs Blackberry. Considering that the Android user base is growing, while Blackberry is shrinking, the ratio is likely to be heavily skewed towards Blackberry (that is, unless a large proportion of former BB users switch to Android and compensate for an equally large number of Android users switching to iOS).

Lumping together BB and Android defectors reminds me of how Apple together with Samsung is expected to rule the future  smartphone market (as a sidekick).

• Reply 33 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    muppetry wrote: »
    I just switched from Blackberry to the iPhone 4s. The apps and connectivity are great but the email, BBM, and phone capabilities of the Blackberry were far better. If Blackberry stays in business, I'll probably switch back when my contract ends.

It's curious just how divergent our experiences can be. I have had both iPhone and BB for several years now, and I can't find any aspect in which the BB wins - in my opinion it is inferior in every respect, including all those that you mention. I can't wait to get rid of it.

I long for my Blackberry when it comes to calendaring. Apple really screwed things up. Why things aren't synchronized between my Mac, iPad, and iPhone I cannot understand; they are all using the same gmail calendar...
  • Reply 34 of 53
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I long for my Blackberry when it comes to calendaring. Apple really screwed things up. Why things aren't synchronized between my Mac, iPad, and iPhone I cannot understand; they are all using the same gmail calendar...

It works just fine for me. You might want to check which calendar you are displaying.

• Reply 35 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

You made a wrong observation.  The Android smartphones are putting the Blackberry out of business.  Look at the history of market share.  The iOS market increase steadily but not dramatically.  It is the Android smartphones that are taking market share from Blackberry and Nokia. 

• Reply 36 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You made a wrong observation.  The Android smartphones are putting the Blackberry out of business.  Look at the history of market share.  The iOS market increase steadily but not dramatically.  It is the Android smartphones that are taking market share from Blackberry and Nokia. 

Not in businesses. Businesses either hate or are terrified of Android.

• Reply 37 of 53
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

I just realized, that  apple has taken device convergence to another level with the purported new iphone. Remote controls are now converging to phones. Brilliant. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

How sad must your life be to troll on a Apple website?  

You 've deified a computer (well...) company and feel compelled to attack strangers for calling it like it is and conflicting with your psychotic view of events about it. There are quite a few things more miserable than this, but not too many. There's always a local walmart around the corner with an iphone to soothe your pain. 

• Reply 38 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

These stats are good, and necessary as the market saturates. If Apples retention rate is higher than the competition, it will grow market share. Simple as.

The 38% of new users does not mean that Android lost a similar amount, as its installed base may well be higher, and the percentage is split between blackberry and Android, possibly a lot is BB which is in free fall, but it is an impressive number, considering.

Less impressive is the 3GS figure, I hope Apple keeps the 3GS form factor for developing markets, using an updated chip, maybe, to run different OSes.

• Reply 39 of 53
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And you expect your biased opinion to be taken as fact when the vast majority of users, reviewers, and analysts disagree completely? Do you think that by repeating lies you will somehow convince people they are true? My what a high opinion you have of yourself.

Show me who's saying that strictly on a phone quality basis, that is mainly signal quality and strength as well as voice quality the iphone is the best in the market? It takes a few seconds to put a nokia next to an iphone and hear the difference in the voice quality. Nokia has patents there that apple simply does not. Oh, and don't quote me any ANALyst from those who claim apple redesigned the antenna in the 4s because the 4 had no problem to begin with. 

I 've made a prediction that if the iphone is going to be the one we see in the pictures apple isn't going to be growing in the phone market with the rate a lot of anal-ysts are predicting. 

• Reply 40 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

I cant talk for the US but my iPhone is an adequate phone, but not brilliant. it lose signal where my cheap non-smartphone - I keep for emergencies - doesn't. Doesn't matter, as I use it for a lot more than that.