new ipad2 vs new ipad?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

i am going to buy another ipad soon. this one for a wifi16gb for myself. i was all for the new ipad but i have been considering the ipad2 because i can buy that & and appleTV for the same as the new ipad. i remember reading a while ago that there was a new version of the ipad2 out that was upgraded and had better performance and battery life. is this really the case & if so, how do i know which one i am getting?  how does the battery of the new ipad2 stack up against the new ipad? while the screen on the new ipad is great, its really not a huge factor for me but processing speed might be, so should i just buy the new ipad? any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

is this really the case & if so, how do i know which one i am getting?

Better battery life, not necessarily performance. Yes, it's true. You can't tell until you've opened the box, turned the thing on, and installed Geekbench.

The 32nm iPad 2 has a few hours more battery life than the current iPad. It does not process any faster. It simply gets better battery life. The current iPad is a better processor (once who processes) than the iPad 2 thanks to its new processor (the chip, meaning the graphics).

• Reply 2 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I actually really prefer the iPad2, after the novelty of the screen disappears from the iPad3 it looses it's mystique. The iPad2 is really light and thin, I also get about 3 more hours with it. You'll start noticing the weight real quick after holding the iPad3 for more then 30 min. However It all depends on what you want to do with it, I use mine in a cradle that never moves for music recording and editing so the weight doesn't bother me but for surfing and reading, iPad2 all the way.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/166957/width/600/height/375][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/166957/width/600/height/375[/IMG][/URL]
  • Reply 3 of 12

Really?? ... 1/10th of a pound makes a difference for you? ... perhaps it's time to eat your spinach! ;)

If you think you'll do a lot of reading on it, then the screen on the New iPad is worth every extra penny over the iPad2... it really is that much better.

(and if you think the CPU/GPU even MIGHT mean something to you, then perhaps you ought to stop considering the "2"... just sayin'.)

• Reply 4 of 12
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Really?? ... 1/10th of a pound makes a difference for you? ... perhaps it's time to eat your spinach! ;)

If you think you'll do a lot of reading on it, then the screen on the New iPad is worth every extra penny over the iPad2... it really is that much better.

(and if you think the CPU/GPU even MIGHT mean something to you, then perhaps you ought to stop considering the "2"... just sayin'.)

As a reader who grew up in the pre-ebook era, I'm also puzzled by all these weight complaints.  I've read hardcover books that weighed a lot more than the iPad but I can't ever recall a situation where I was thinking "man, is this book heavy."  Unless people are somehow holding the device in their outstretched arms for hours at a time (can you access this forum from Abu Ghraib?) I just don't get it.

• Reply 5 of 12
    ham_boneham_bone Posts: 67member

the weight isnt a concern for me. i am just going to browse the web with it and rent some movies for when i travel. i am thinking ipad2 and an appleTV is going to be the way to go but i def wanna get the newest version.

• Reply 6 of 12

i think ipad2 is a good choice for the cheap price and nice function!Cost-effective anyway!

• Reply 7 of 12
    benneybenney Posts: 1member

The New iPad has awesome features like a new Retina display, five-megapixel photo photographic camera, 4G unique online, quad-core GPU among others. But should you upgrade from the 2nd development iPad to the 3rd-generation iPad?

• Reply 8 of 12
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I actually really prefer the iPad2, after the novelty of the screen disappears from the iPad3 it looses it's mystique. The iPad2 is really light and thin, I also get about 3 more hours with it. You'll start noticing the weight real quick after holding the iPad3 for more then 30 min. However It all depends on what you want to do with it, I use mine in a cradle that never moves for music recording and editing so the weight doesn't bother me but for surfing and reading, iPad2 all the way.

For surfing and reading iPad 2 all the way? Reading with that new screen is a HUGE improvement, thats the one thing that bothered me about my iPad 2, it was otherwise perfect to keep for a long time.

• Reply 9 of 12

looks like ios6 will be on the ipad2, so i think thats the way to go. but i still am trying to figure out how to make sure i get the newest version of it.

• Reply 10 of 12

Quote:

looks like ios6 will be on the ipad2, so i think thats the way to go. but i still am trying to figure out how to make sure i get the newest version of it.

You can't, as I said. You can only know once you've opened it and installed Geekbench.

• Reply 11 of 12

i understand what you said but at some point they must be discontinuing the older chips and only using the new ones. i dont imagine that its random which ones get the new chips. and shouldnt you be able to tell the manufacturing date based on the ser. # on the box?

• Reply 12 of 12

Quote:

i understand what you said but at some point they must be discontinuing the older chips and only using the new ones. i dont imagine that its random which ones get the new chips. and shouldnt you be able to tell the manufacturing date based on the ser. # on the box?

Nope, can't tell from that, as they're using both simultaneously.

We could only know for certain if we got confirmation from Apple that starting such-and-such week they were going to only the 32nm chips. 

We will never get that confirmation.