Phil Schiller expected to increasingly become Apple's 'public face'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    djphatjive wrote: »
    I do like Phil better as a speaker. But he is not the one to take over. Scott Forstall needs to be the one. Even Steve Jobs knew this. Big news companies know this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44904886/ns/business-us_business/t/scott-forstall-sorcerers-apprentice-apple/

Why have we not seen him talk at a conference since Steve Jobs passed? Who there is holding him back. He knows what he is talking about because he helped build it. He talks awesome in presentations and uses everything he has learned from Steve! Come on Apple.
    Steve told Walter Isaacson Jony Ive has more operational power than anyone else other than himself at Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve told Walter Isaacson Jony Ive has more operational power than anyone else other than himself at Apple.

I think Jony Ive is good too. But it is well known that may be leaving Apple soon. http://www.bing.com/search?q=jonathan+ives+leaving+apple&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=jonathan+ives+leaving+apple&sc=0-14&sp=-1&sk=

• Reply 23 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am guessing  Jonny Ive doesn't do it because he doesn't want to. I am not sure he possess the right amount of showmanship. Personally I think they should find someone completely different - someone younger and cooler. Someone who really loves the products and can present them without overselling them. Everyone (including Steve Jobs when he did it) come across as too rehearsed, throwing words like 'revolutionary', 'magical', 're-imagined' about with free abandon. So for me, a little less salesmanship but more enthusiasm. Nothing sells better than genuine enthusiasm.

Remember all those great "Hello, I'm a Mac" commercials? Apple should get Hodgman, the guy who played the part of "PC" to come out on stage and introduce himself as "Hello, I'm a new Mac user." People would love to watch him introduce the new OS features and hardware like he was a new user excited over what is being added to his new world. Hodgman played the part of a underdog for so many years, the crowd would love to see him come over to the winning side.

• Reply 24 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think they should do a team effort, Tim, Scott and Phil with others as needed.

I didn't care for all the handing things off when they did it at one point, but I just assumed that Apple was looking to see which one might be best to replace Jobs at presenting.

Personally, I think Apple would be better off looking for a talented actor/speaker to deliver the message with the desired amount of quiet enthusiasm. 

• Reply 25 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Remember all those great "Hello, I'm a Mac" commercials? Apple should get Hodgman, the guy who played the part of "PC" to come out on stage and introduce himself as "Hello, I'm a new Mac user." People would love to watch him introduce the new OS features and hardware like he was a new user excited over what is being added to his new world. Hodgman played the part of a underdog for so many years, the crowd would love to see him come over to the winning side.

That would be very funny! I am not sure they would want to turn a presentation like that into a comedy act but it would be hilarious. The thing to bear in mind is that the 'show' is primarily to feed the media. One thing is to enthuse the audience but more importantly (increasingly noticeable in recent years) is the way the presentation seems created to give the media something easy to present to their respective viewers or readers. Like the expert marketeers they are, Apple knows the value of a sound bite and gear their presentations to be easily quoted. 

• Reply 26 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Well this is welcome news, as Tim Cook is about as exciting to watch as two sloths humping. I'd prefer they hand the podium over to Jonny Ive, personally, but that's just an unrealistic pipe dream.

It's my understanding that those sorts of videos are quite popular in the sloth community-at-large. FWIW.

• Reply 27 of 74

Quote:

I didn't care for all the handing things off when they did it at one point, but I just assumed that Apple was looking to see which one might be best to replace Jobs at presenting.

Personally, I think Apple would be better off looking for a talented actor/speaker to deliver the message with the desired amount of quiet enthusiasm. 

Not sure that a "hired gun" would have any credibility at one of these things. Especially at WWDC, where the audience isn't so much press as it is developers. Jobs was able to do it because he combined a gift for "gab" with solid knowledge of the products and a dash of "magic." 

I think Schiller and Forestall are the best of the bunch, Phil because he can be laid back and Forestall because he isn't. 

• Reply 28 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bdkennedy wrote: »
    Thank goodness!  Besides Steve, Phil rocks a keynote.  He was made for this.

You are very close.  I would say more like:

1.  Steve Jobs
    2.  Jony Ive (doesn't typically present but has a compelling and mesmerizing monologue in videos)
    3.  Scott Forstall
    36.  Bob Mansfield, SVP of Hardware Engineering (has a giddy, schoolboy enthusiasm for his hardware)
    47.  Tim Cook (although Tim seems to get better every time he presents)
    97.  Eddy Cue, SVP of Internet Software and Services
    162.  Phil Schiller
    8.74391 x 10(1,436).  Anyone who presented at that Google Maps disaster the other day

I'm glad to see that everyone is in agreement. /s

In reality, I suspect that it will go like the last few - no one presenter. Someone (perhaps Tim Cook or Phil Schiller) to emcee the event and then calling on all the different players as needed.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post

I do like Phil better as a speaker. But he is not the one to take over. Scott Forstall needs to be the one. Even Steve Jobs knew this. Big news companies know this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44904886/ns/business-us_business/t/scott-forstall-sorcerers-apprentice-apple/

Why have we not seen him talk at a conference since Steve Jobs passed? Who there is holding him back. He knows what he is talking about because he helped build it. He talks awesome in presentations and uses everything he has learned from Steve! Come on Apple.

The way I heard it, Scott has been having a bit of a hissy fit since the Steve died and he didn't get promoted to supreme leader.  He cashed in most of his stock as a threat and has been seen walking around hands in pockets doing the "angry muttering guy" impersonation.  :)

True Story. 

Edit: have to say I'm loving the smackdown Phil Schiller is giving to Rogue Amoeba today. :)))

• Reply 30 of 74
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I could barely watch Ive in the video introducing unibody. Overly dramatic. I shuddered.

Brilliant talent, but not for presenting.

Jobs was a gifted presenter. Part of that comes from the mystique of being a co-founder. But he had raw ability too.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    rgmenkergmenke Posts: 15member
    I agree, Ive is a key resource they need to utilize. Phil talks too fast and uses the buzz words but he doesn't convey the why? Jon Ive exudes the same passion that Steve did when explaining "why" a product makes Apple unique.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I like Phil. In the past, he has been the one to roll out new Macs, and I like Macs :)

I hope the new Macs will be a success, the only worry I have is something I experienced with the iPad 3: namely that Retina display really does reduce battery life quite a bit. And laptops only have short battery life to begin with.

• Reply 33 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

There's something to be said for this. Apple should give it serious thought.

The current crop -- Forstall included -- are below-par presenters. They come through as nice guys in front of an audience, but convey no great sense of passion, timing, irony, impishness, or humor.

• Reply 34 of 74
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That's not quite what he said.

• Reply 35 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The current crop -- Forstall included -- are below-par presenters. They come through as nice guys in front of an audience, but convey no great sense of passion, timing, irony, impishness, or humor.

I can do it. Honestly. I've legitimately RDF'd more than a few people. I can do the presenting. Of course I'll probably have to have some sort of other credential to be there… Maybe I have one left… 

• Reply 36 of 74
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

I never "got" Schiller. To me, he just looks like a dork on stage. I mean, look at that picture. He's always got this lame, half-assed grin. It's weird.

I'm sure some people like him, but there's just something about the way he acts that I don't trust.

Steve had confidence and certainty. He had command. I never got that from Schiller.

• Reply 37 of 74
    That's not quite what he said.
    Direct Steve quote from the book:
    He’s not just a designer. That’s why he works directly for me. He has more operational power than anyone else at Apple except me. There’s no one who can tell him what to do, or to butt out. That’s the way I set it up.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    enjourni wrote: »
    I never "got" Schiller. To me, he just looks like a dork on stage. I mean, look at that picture. He's always got this lame, half-assed grin. It's weird.

I'm sure some people like him, but there's just something about the way he acts that I don't trust.

Steve had confidence and certainty. He had command. I never got that from Schiller.
    I agree he sometimes sounds dorky. And Scott Forstall sometimes looks downright creepy:
    forstall.png
  • Reply 39 of 74

I also think that Scott Forstall is extremely creepy. I get a really vicious backstabbing crazy vibe from that guy. He would be a horrible choice as the public face.

• Reply 40 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Edit: have to say I'm loving the smackdown Phil Schiller is giving to Rogue Amoeba today. :)))

I have been a Rogue user for many years. I like their stuff quite a lot but they do tend to live close to the legal edge.

When AirPlay was first demoed there were quickly published code example how to access the APIs. I think anyone should be able to use those APIs as well as the AirPrint APIs  and FaceTime both of which they promised to open but never did.