WWDC 2012 Banners depict iOS 6, OS X, iCloud as stars of the show

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A year ago, Steve Jobs presented Apple's three technical foundations as being iOS, OS X and iCloud at the company's Worldwide Developer Conference. The company is now building upon on the same message at this year's event.

In addition to the iOS 6 banner published earlier today, workers at the WWDC event site are erecting similar banners for OS X and iCloud, both missing any specific version numbers.

The OS X banner, conspicuously missing the word "Mac" anywhere, touts itself as "the world's most advanced desktop operating system," in parallel to iOS, which Apple refers to as "the world's most advanced mobile operating system."

Rather than explicitly calling attention to the Mountain Lion codename or its 10.8 version number, the OS X banner simply depicts a mountain lion image.

The iCloud banner similarly presents just the simple icon Apple unveiled for the new service last year, along with the approachable slogan, "Your content. On all your devices," a message Jobs began driving home at last year's event as a high level, long term strategy for Apple going forward.

Spy pictures taken by AppleInsider also catch a glimpse of upper floor banners advertising AirPlay, Apple's wireless video distribution technology that debuted on iOS 5 and is expected to be included in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (although it requires late model hardware to work). The AirPlay banner appears to depict a MacBook Air mirroring its display to a large screen HDTV behind it.

The WWDC event targets iOS and OS X developers, and while it has historically often involved product introductions, its main thrust has focused on new software technologies that Apple hopes its growing audience of developers will readily adopt in their products.

Outside the Moscone West venue, smaller banners reflecting the main WWDC 2012 colorful imagery of app icons are in place, as are the giant Apple logos that grace the building every year at WWDC, which first began going up yesterday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57

Such a classy company. I'm looking forward to any and all surprises to come.

• Reply 2 of 57
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Just me, or does the "6" look mappy? Like an on-ramp, or... Maybe it's that it's exactly the same color as the path that the current map gives you to follow. Something...
  • Reply 3 of 57
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO updated Mac announcements and Apple just updates the website without any fanfare.

I just want to see a retina MBP.

• Reply 4 of 57
    secruosersecruoser Posts: 17member

Quote:

A year ago, Steve Jobs... The company is now...

It used to be referred to that special someone. Now it's just 'the company'. Whatever happened to a special someone?

• Reply 5 of 57
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO updated Mac announcements and Apple just updates the website without any fanfare.

Not a chance if there's a redesign.
  • Reply 6 of 57

You would think they would a introduce a taller iPhone. If there is going to be a fifth row of apps a huge update would be the time to do it. Instead of like 6.1.1 adding a fifth row. Wouldn't you think so? You never know...................................

• Reply 7 of 57
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    shogun wrote: »
    Just me, or does the "6" look mappy? Like an on-ramp, or... Maybe it's that it's exactly the same color as the path that the current map gives you to follow. Something...

It's from the default wallpaper of iOS 5.1 on the iPad 3..
  • Reply 8 of 57
    A lot like last years banners, which was ios 5, lion, and icloud

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/02/wwdc_2011_banners_going_up_at_moscone_center.html
  • Reply 9 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

You would think they would a introduce a taller iPhone.

Not when it won't be out for months, no.

Quote:

If there is going to be a fifth row of apps a huge update would be the time to do it.

Or in October because there's no huge iPod announcement anymore.

Quote:

Instead of like 6.1.1 adding a fifth row.

We are NOT getting iOS 6 on Monday. It is NOT being released on Monday. It comes out with the next iPhone when the next iPhone comes out. It will be 6.0 then. 

Wait, do you also think that the next iPhone would… have a dark spot on the Springboard until 6.1 (which makes no sense).1, which then gives it that fifth row?

• Reply 10 of 57

So this mean there will be no more iPod Touch or iPod Nanos?

• Reply 11 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or in October because there's no huge iPod announcement anymore.

Maybe there will be you  never know!

• Reply 12 of 57

Quote:

No, no, just that they're no longer a highlight. A new touch that fits the form of the next iPhone couldn't be introduced early; it'd spoil the iPhone surprise.

• Reply 13 of 57
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Has Apple ever had a WWDC without any hardware being announced?

• Reply 14 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Has Apple ever had a WWDC without any hardware being announced?

Yep. Last year, wasn't it? And before that, of course. Aught two? Three was the PowerMac G5… 

• Reply 15 of 57
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I've been saying that for weeks but it seems I'm a total idiot cause every time I say it folks come in droves to down rank me. Or just call me stupid. 

Quote:

You would think they would a introduce a taller iPhone. If there is going to be a fifth row of apps a huge update would be the time to do it. Instead of like 6.1.1 adding a fifth row. Wouldn't you think so? You never know...................................

No need for a 6.x. They intro the phone about a month before release which could be this Fall so they reveal that bit then. It's a home screen function so the developers don't need access to it anyway. 

Quote:

Those haven't been announced at WWDC even when the iPhone etc was. We won't know anything about them until the fall. 

• Reply 16 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I've been saying that for weeks but it seems I'm a total idiot cause every time I say it folks come in droves to down rank me. Or just call me stupid.

A redesign warrants stage time. Otherwise yes, it'll just be silent.

Quote:

They intro the phone about a month before release…

Hasn't it been steadily decreasing lately? We're down to less than half of that now, aren't we?

• Reply 17 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'm curious about your thinking behind that.

Here's my take...

1. Apple has moved the iPhone to an Autumn release because it's an ideal time for it right before the holidays, not the Summer when few new things are usually released, and the iPod is slowing being obfuscated. It's shoring up the difference in the Fall.
    2. There has been no iPhone that came out at the same time as the SDK for the new OS arrives. It's not just about getting devs to build apps with the new APIs but getting devs to test the new OS so Apple can fix OS and built-in app bugs.
    3. There is no reason for Apple to push the 6th gen iPhone out so developers can make their apps understand this 5th row. From a software development standpoint 3rd-party apps don't tell the OS where or how the apps will sit on the Home Screen. If there is another row then I assume that all your screens with simply have a blank row until you choose to fill them. What the apps will need to understand is different resolution/aspect ratio, but developers were suppose to be coding for such independence from the start. You can check out Mail and Safari as great examples of this happening naturally. Turn it and the width will change. This shouldn't be hard coded. That said, it's possible that games that are GPU heavy and account for a pixel perfect match could easily be windowed with on a couple small (88px) letterboxes on each side.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Hasn't it been steadily decreasing lately? We're down to less than half of that now, aren't we?
    Last year they were certainly fast between announcement and release. Same goes for this iPad. I think it's varied since the start of the iPhone but over the last year they are certainly showing a tighter cycle. I quite like it.

I also like that we have very little info about what is coming next week. The best we really know is leaks from China on actual HW. We assume Maps but I think it's a calculated guess more than any tangible data, and even that is only based on the companies they bought years ago.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They seem to do things 3 months apart.

Jan: iPad updates

Apr: Mac updates

Jun: Dev conference/OS updates

Sep: iPod/iPhone updates

The Mac updates are late this year due to Intel.

• Reply 20 of 57
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Cue "Steve Jobs would never announce anything at WWDC." (Only kidding)

Anyway, I'm feeling a sense of deja vu from last year.