Apple to unveil entirely new MacBook series at WWDC, insiders say

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Macbook.

Wait and see. I've got it sorted out. Like I said in the other big article about this guy's claims I think that he's got it wrong about them adding a 3rd series of computers. They aren't. They are expanding the "Air" series to a 15 inch model but dropping the Air from the name. What we used to call the Macbook Air is just the Macbook and it will be fronted as THE lineup. There will be a single Pro model in the 13 and 15, perhaps two that will be what we know as the Pro with the ODD, firewire etc. These might only be available custom order as might the 17 inch model. They could also be the only ones with a Retina Display (part of what makes them Pro)

I'll get the machine that suits my needs best, as usual, but psychologically I don't want an Air because I don't want a CULV processor, lack of dGPU, or insuffient number of ports. I want a Pro machine but without the ODD that is 25% of my internal space without ever being used and forcing the machines to be larger and have more engineering constraints.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    OK I have to ask, how is it that this looks "official". All it is is another rumor.
    eksodos wrote: »
    It looks official. No 17" MacBook Pro in that lineup. It is dead.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    The only reason would be that nobody is buying it!

I've actually have seen engineers give up their 17" machines (Windoes) because they aren't practicle for travel or field use. As much as 17" MBP users want to believe they are in a large and dynamic group the real trend is away from such large computers.
    juanm105 wrote: »
    Why would the 17-inch MacBook Pro be eliminated?

It is the best choice for creative folks.

It is the workhorse of the creative group that is one of the major target groups for Apple. Also for education in the creative area, architecture, art, music, etc. everybody loves the display and the size (thickness and weight) of the 17-inch MacBook Pro. It both a desktop and laptop to creative folks.

AutoCAD after many years of being absent from the Mac has been recently reissued for the Mac. Folks using AutoCAD love using on the 17-inch MacBook Pro.

Why would the 17-inch MacBook Pro be eliminated?
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Real pros are not completely stupid, they can recognize a high performance machine without the "Pro" label in the devices name. This is the most odd and twisted thing posted in this forum thread.
    carthusia wrote: »
    That analysis of Apple's notebook product roadmap seems extremely convoluted. Keeping Pro and Air brands make more (or at least as much sense) as eliminating the Air and keeping MacBook and Pro brands. And it makes far more sense than having Air, MacBook, and Pro. I don't see the Pro becoming simply the Macbook. Pros want a Pro brand and the MacBook has been end-of-lifed even for the education market, right?
    Wrong! Mac Book is just another name, they could drop the "Mac" completely and call the new machines Cortland and real pros would be able to recognize that they are high performance machines relative to the AIRs.
    Reintroducing the MacBook brand would seem like a) a step backward and b) a violation of Steve's brilliant vision for separate consumer and professional notebook lines. 
    Complete garbage. Let me state this clearly, if a professional can't recognize a machine with a feature set suitable for his Profession he isn't much of a professional. It would be like a plumber going to a home center for some crappy pipe wrench instead of buying a Ridged. Professionals build their operations around the right tools for the endeavors at hand.
    Why not:

11", 13" MBAs stay, possibly rebranded as MB, but that would be a lot of rebranding in a little time for Apple's entry level notebook. Ergo, MBA stays as the brand.

15", 17" MBPs (17" is introduced 2013 or gets dropped, depending on how well 15" Pros fit Pro consumer's needs)

Differentiating factors are that, unlike Airs, Pros get more screen real estate with Retina displays,
    Retina is not about screen real estate!
    discreet graphics, SSD/HDD with optional SSD-only models. Dropped optical drives make room for SDD/HDD option with sufficient room for larger battery. Done.

I really don't know what Apple is doing with their lineup. If they do take this approach it might be a sign that they are testing the waters to see if people really do want that optical drive in their laptops. There is much whining about the optical going away but the reality is I don't think most Apple customers care. Such a lineup gives Apple a way to test the waters the only honest way possible which is with actual sales. My suspicion is that sales will dry up for the optical equipped MBPs pretty quick, because so many don't know what they are talking about.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    It still amazes me that people think AIRs are high performance machines! They aren't even close, even if the Ivy Bridge GPU dramatically improves the model. People act like the 13" AIR and the 13" MBP are the same class machine when they aren't even close.

In any event I really have a positive feeling here, you should get what you want real soon.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'll get the machine that suits my needs best, as usual, but psychologically I don't want an Air because I don't want a CULV processor, lack of dGPU, or insuffient number of ports. I want a Pro machine but without the ODD that is 25% of my internal space without ever being used and forcing the machines to be larger and have more engineering constraints.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Here's what I'd like to see happen in the Apple notebook space in 2012:

- MacBook Air renamed to MacBook, with some spec improvements (but no Retina display)

- New-generation slim MacBook Pro (no optical drive, tapered, etc.) with Retina display on all models

- Previous-generation MacBook Pro model production continues until demand declines enough to cancel them

(I just don't think there's a big enough niche between the current MBA and MBP lines to wedge in an all-new intermediate line.  Remember the G4 Cube?  Apple surely does.)

• Reply 47 of 62
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    eksodos wrote: »
    It looks official. No 17" MacBook Pro in that lineup. It is dead.

Uh, no. It's not official until Apple says it is. This analyst isn't the official word on anything. Period.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

This could happen.

A new macbook with a retina display would be the selling point as well as the all solid state ram design.

Who needs an optical drive these days anyway?

I'm sure it won't be long before we see fast, blue tooth optical drives. They exists but I haven't seen them for laptops. Have any of you?

• Reply 49 of 62
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    maccherry wrote: »
    This could happen.
    A new macbook with a retina display would be the selling point as well as the all solid state ram design.
    Who needs an optical drive these days anyway?
    I'm sure it won't be long before we see fast, blue tooth optical drives. They exists but I haven't seen them for laptops. Have any of you?

They might see how well the 17" MBP sells next to the new retina display 15s before making a decision. Would screen real estate win over resolution? TBD.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

I have just one word for this rumored line-up: Complicated!

• Reply 51 of 62
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

Mmm.... I think some of this is true but I believe in some different scenario:

• MacBook Air name disappears. The line simplified to MacBook, maybe except for one 15" with optical drive, which I doubt will stand and still.

• Just 3 models ala Air 11", 13" and 15".

• 11" and 13" more powerful than today's models and with Retina Display. 15" with Retina Display an special option (that display must be too expensive for a base model).

• Same prices for 11" and 13" as today, or maybe $100 more for that display. It worths the $100.

• No Solid State HD, but cards of memory.

• Models 3G/4G/LTE/GPS capable(*) for $129 more. Ok, maybe that's too much asking, but it is about time, I'm not dreaming here.

PS: Mac Pro with a complete redesigned form factor with very little foot print. I think they are going to show us a very good looking aerodynamical design.

• Reply 52 of 62
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And the logo on the back omits the Apple part entirely, leaving just the leaf.

think-dif_poster.jpg

Now That I like!

• Reply 53 of 62
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

MacBook /Air/Pro...ShmacBook... whatever....

Rumor has it that Apple is consolidating all lines onder a single name -- the UltraBook  :)

• Reply 54 of 62
    meniacmeniac Posts: 9member

I'm just speculating like everybody else. I'll think they'll add USB 3 and drop the name "Air", optical drives, maybe even HDD:s and 17":

11" MacBook (Air design, SSD)

13" MacBook (Air design, SSD)

15" MacBook (Air design, SSD)

13" MacBook Pro (replaceable SSD and RAM)

15" MacBook Pro (replaceable SSD and RAM)

If you need DVD or bigger screen you'll need to use external. They say Apple may even drop ethernet but I think that's a stretch.

• Reply 55 of 62
    heyrefheyref Posts: 4member

Who cares what it's called.  Here's what I want in a new carry around computer:

• 15" screen

• Retina display

• Replaceable memory

• i7 quad core

• HDD (SSD supplemental is OK)

• Discrete graphics

• USB3 and thunderbolt ports; lots of them

• Ethernet would be nice, but not a deal killer.

• Reply 56 of 62
    parksgmparksgm Posts: 60member
    Yep - makes no sense to have a MacBookpro and a new MacBook with better specs for roughly the same price point.

My vote is for continued differentiation between pro and consumer lines. There's no good reason to blur the distinction. "Two" is as simple a dichotomy as can be.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And the logo on the back omits the Apple part entirely, leaving just the leaf.

LL

First they remove Computer from their name and now they remove Apple from their logo. What is Tim Cook doing to the company. Steve would have never done that. Oh the humanities. You maniacs. You blew it up. You blew it up! Damn you! God! Damn you all to hell!
  • Reply 58 of 62
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    I say reduce / eliminate the bezel surrounding the display = 12" 14" & 16" portables.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    lxguylxguy Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyref View Post

Who cares what it's called.  Here's what I want in a new carry around computer:

• Replaceable memory

Ding!  This is the reason I will never own a Macbook Air.

• Reply 60 of 62
    lxguy wrote: »
    Ding!  This is the reason I will never own a Macbook Air.

It is a lot to give up!

However I'm not willing to say never. An 8GB AIR might draw my interest. However the bigger deal is the lack of suitable secondary storage. There is no way a machine with a 256GB SSD is on my purchase list.