Alleged iOS 6 beta details suggest support for iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    In the US it is. Apologies.

Because that was the only logical thought to have at the time.
    Wow, really?

The only one?

You need to have a wider perspective.

Shaun UK makes some great points.
  • Reply 42 of 75

The list of identified links pretty much rules out the "iPhone 5", huh?

• Reply 43 of 75
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

it rules out the fact that an iPhone 5 will be released with old software and need to be updated to iOS 6, yes

• Reply 44 of 75
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

The list of identified links pretty much rules out the "iPhone 5", huh?

Considering that phone doesn't exist yet, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

• Reply 45 of 75
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

True. but the 3G wasn't a currently selling model when iOS 4 came out, and it was still supported. Same with the original iPhone and iOS 3.

While the 3G received iOS4 it was a total disaster. The performance was abismal and it made the phone almost unusable. It would have been better if the 3G never received iOS4.

If the 3GS gets iOS6 then I hope they optimize the OS for it.

• Reply 46 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

How come there is no new MoLo preview? Ready for sale?

• Reply 47 of 75
    global2global2 Posts: 1member

Data is NOT forced on PAYG plans in the U.S., either--at least not on AT&T. I have a voice only plan with AT&T Gophone that, in fact, I use with an iPhone 3GS. So I am very interested in hearing about IOS 6 tomorrow.

Lest, anyone think I am doing anything sneaky, AT&T knows very well that I am using an iPhone on Gophone. In fact, precisely because I have a smartphone on its prepaid, it requires me to choose between a expensive monthly voice and date plan or no data. I have opted to rely on wifi alone. 

• Reply 48 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Yeah, if they are supporting the iPhone 3GS, it makes little sense to not support the third-gen iPod Touch since it's essentially the same hardware so it'd be minimal effort. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Then why can't the third-gen iPod Touch it's basically the same thing.

Both these guys are implying that Apple's (presumed) lack of support is some kind of plot, and this guy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

... it makes sense to support the new 5th Generation model and the previous 4th Generation model to encourage 3rd Generation users to upgrade.

Upgrades = more revenue. It's a simple business decision. Keep the product churn going. Encourage users to upgrade at least every 2 or 3 years to get the latest OS.

Is explicitly stating as much.  

But it's worth mentioning that despite these kinds of conspiracy theories and despite the rantings of arch capitalists about it "all being about the money,"  there is no actual record of Apple ever doing this, or ever playing the game of not supporting older products that are able to receive a software update.  There is no reason for Apple to screw over it's customers "for the money" or "to encourage them to upgrade" or any such thing and they have never done this.

Every single time this kind of thing is raised, it always turns out weeks later (when no one remembers of course), that the reason that product a, b, or c wasn't supported was actually hardware related, completely rational and in fact, unavoidable.  

if Apple doesn't support a particular model with this next OS, you can practically bet on the fact that there is a good, hardware related reason not to do so, whether we are currently aware of the reason or not.  

• Reply 49 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

It's NOT free on pre-paid PAYG plans you idiot. Maybe you should engage your brain before your mouth once in a while.

China + India = 2.5 Billion people = Huge sales potential for PAYG phones = Lots of money = Why they will continue to sell the 3GS

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVince View Post

I interpreted his reply as the 3GS is already free to have on a monthly plan (as is the iPhone 4), so why would Apple expect customers to pay for the same inferior 3 year old phone on PAYG with a (likely sub-optimised iOS 6 running off it).  He kind of has a point.

What part of "2.5 billion" don't you understand?  World markets ain't just USA, Japan, Western Europe any more.  (Actually, last I checked, all those places were in trouble while the rest of the world is still seeing 5-10% economic growth)

Cook is squeezing every bit of value out of the old 3GS, which must cost peanuts to manufacture by this point.  (Low-res screen, lower end cameras, cpu, wireless, battery)  Then using it to make sure that Apple competes in all markets in the world, except for the very lowest, and maintains market share.  All while making a tidy profit in the process.

• Reply 50 of 75
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, booyah, Safari 6. 5.2 is dandy, but if they're jumping a whole number then they must be adding something good.

I'd love more integration with my Apple ID.  Probably would be the only thing that would get me to switch back from Chrome.

I love how Chrome integrates my Google ID (gmail account) into the App so I can always have my information, bookmarks, email, calendars, notes, etc. anywhere when I login with my Google ID.  That's really all Safari is missing to more fully integrate the User experience.  They are just about the same speed/functionality as Chrome otherwise.  Additionally, I'd like to see the search and Address windows combined like Chrome.

On the Flipside, the one thing Chrome could use is something like Safari's "Reader" function.

• Reply 51 of 75

Well, if the rumors are true, it makes me very comfortable about buying an iPhone and very uncomfortable about buying an iPad.  The iPhone has the great virtue of being something that stays on the market for a long time, as it gradually migrates down the price points.  Not so the iPad.  In general I wish Apple would be more communicative about setting out some general parameters for roadmaps of their products.  (For exhibit A on this, see "Mac Pro")

• Reply 52 of 75

Quote:

But it's worth mentioning that despite these kinds of conspiracy theories and despite the rantings of arch capitalists about it "all being about the money,"  there is no actual record of Apple ever doing this, or ever playing the game of not supporting older products that are able to receive a software update.  There is no reason for Apple to screw over it's customers "for the money" or "to encourage them to upgrade" or any such thing and they have never done this.

Obviously Apple orphans systems to encourage upgrades, as well as to simplify their support burden.  This is observably true in the many instances when an "unsupported" system update is enabled by hacks which just bypass the system ID check.  

On the other hand, Apple is generally much better on this score than many of its competitors, e.g. the Android handset makers who orphan half their phones the day they're sold.

• Reply 53 of 75
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

Well, if the rumors are true, it makes me very comfortable about buying an iPhone and very uncomfortable about buying an iPad.  The iPhone has the great virtue of being something that stays on the market for a long time, as it gradually migrates down the price points.  Not so the iPad.  In general I wish Apple would be more communicative about setting out some general parameters for roadmaps of their products.  (For exhibit A on this, see "Mac Pro")

If they did, would there be so much excitement over their product announcements?

• Reply 54 of 75
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Is explicitly stating as much.  

Every single time this kind of thing is raised, it always turns out weeks later (when no one remembers of course), that the reason that product a, b, or c wasn't supported was actually hardware related, completely rational and in fact, unavoidable.  

if Apple doesn't support a particular model with this next OS, you can practically bet on the fact that there is a good, hardware related reason not to do so, whether we are currently aware of the reason or not.  

You might want to say this unavoidable to mac pro users of pre 2008 machines most of which are perfectly capable of mountain lion and won't be getting it cause apple can't be bothered to write a few more drivers...

Also the hardware argument is spurious. If apple decide that gen. 1 ipad is good enough with 128mb of ram, and then the fanbois go, it's not about the specks, it's optimized because apple create both hardware and software, blah, blah, no wonder less than a couple of years later the then current ios 5 runs like shit on it. Apple aims at planned obsoletion of their products so people buy more, period. 

• Reply 55 of 75
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Makes complete sense, as it's a current selling product there'd be an uproar if it could not run iOS 6!

What doesn't make sense is why they wouldn't support the original iPad, as the hardware inside is nearly identical to that of the 3GS.

• Reply 56 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

You might want to say this unavoidable to mac pro users of pre 2008 machines most of which are perfectly capable of mountain lion and won't be getting it cause apple can't be bothered to write a few more drivers...

Also the hardware argument is spurious. If apple decide that gen. 1 ipad is good enough with 128mb of ram, and then the fanbois go, it's not about the specks, it's optimized because apple create both hardware and software, blah, blah, no wonder less than a couple of years later the then current ios 5 runs like shit on it. Apple aims at planned obsoletion of their products so people buy more, period. 

Nothing personal, but this sounds like a load of personal stuff you have about Apple and not based on any actual facts.  

My point was only that I haven't ever heard of any proof or evidence that Apple acts in this way that everyone immediately assumes they act when it turns out they don't support their favourite piece of hardware.  Apple is not "about the money" it's more about the product.  If a piece of hardware is not supported it always (100% of the time) turns out to be the case that if it was supported, it would run like crap or the experience would be severely compromised in some specific way.  

People just want to pretend that they know more than the engineers at Apple, or that because they don't care about the compromises, no one else should.  They act like armchair quarterbacks while at the same time telegraphing that very fact.  They state here that the iPod hardware is "basically" or "almost" the same thing which is in fact quite telling, because it lets us know that even they are quite aware that it's not actually the same hardware.  

There are differences in the hardware.  It's as simple as that.  

They aren't letting you have the software update because it wouldn't work or wouldn't work in the same (acceptable) way as it would on the other devices.  As I said, AFAIK there isn't a single substantiated, factual case where this wasn't true and instead the conspiracy theories of the disgruntled people who didn't get the software update was true instead. 

• Reply 57 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

Obviously Apple orphans systems to encourage upgrades, as well as to simplify their support burden.  This is observably true in the many instances when an "unsupported" system update is enabled by hacks which just bypass the system ID check.  

On the other hand, Apple is generally much better on this score than many of its competitors, e.g. the Android handset makers who orphan half their phones the day they're sold.

Well, I just don't think you have any actual proof of this beyond the simple act of saying it.  Your argument also revolves completely around the definition of "works."  Changing the ID of a system to make a piece of software *run* on it, is not the same thing as saying it works on that device.  

My argument is that it wouldn't run "acceptably" or in the manner that Apple wants it to run, and with the performance they want it to have, with all the various features intact etc.  I can make Lion run on all kinds of computers, that doesn't mean they should be on the supported list or that a user of one of those machines is actually even getting the "lion experience."  

I don't suppose we will ever agree on this as it's one of those "engineer vs. designer" things.  An engineer would say that if it's possible to get it to run on the device then it's running on the device, a designer would not agree.  It's perfectly valid IMO (and obviously in Apple's as well), to require a certain level of performance and features before it's said to be "running" or workable on one device or another.  

• Reply 58 of 75
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How do we know these links even exist if they're not active? You can type anything you want and have it look like a URL.

This is the first I'm hearing of first-gen iPad support, particularly since it has been missing the last few days.

Also, booyah, Safari 6. 5.2 is dandy, but if they're jumping a whole number then they must be adding something good.

Why the hell wouldn't it be supported? Now the iPhone 3GS, sure I can see that being nixed but not the iPad.

Safari 6 should be the full debut of WebKit 2.

• Reply 59 of 75
    I do believe that 3GS will get iOS6 support, but it won't be around after iPhone 6th generation launch as iPhone 4 will take its place as the free iPhone with a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    homiehomie Posts: 44member
    cash907 wrote: »
    What doesn't make sense is why they wouldn't support the original iPad, as the hardware inside is nearly identical to that of the 3GS.

Actually, isn't the originaliPad more like the iPhone 4? Don't they have the same A4 processor only the iPhone 4 is 800 MHz and the iPad is 1 ghz? True the iPhone 4 has 512 MB vs only 256 in the original iPad.

But the 3GS has the older Samsung A8 right and only 256 RAM. I can't see them supporting the older hardware and not the newer hardware.

Doesn't make sense to me.