iOS 6 GM expected in early September ahead of new iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will likely unveil the iOS 6 Golden Master in September early enough to release the next-generation iPhone that same month and generate "significant" sales of the device in the third quarter of calendar 2012, according to one insider.

Banners at the Moscone Center revealed last week that the Cupertino, Calif., company is gearing up to take the wraps off of iOS 6 at the Worldwide Developers Conference, which begins Monday. In keeping with earlier claims about iOS, Apple's signs contain the tagline: "The world's most advanced mobile operating system."

With beta releases of iOS 6 expected to be released to iOS developers shortly after the unveiling of the mobile OS on Monday, one proven analyst believes that the final release could be ready in three months.

"We expect Apple to unveil iOS 6 GM (Golden Master) in early September," KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a note obtained by AppleInsider. "Based on the release schedule for iOS 6 GM, there is a very good chance iPhone 5 will start shipping also in early September."

iOS 6
WWDC iOS 6 banner. | Source: CNET

A September launch would give Apple the rest of the month to rack up sales of the device before the end of its 2012 fiscal year. Last year, the later-than-usual October launch of the company's annual iPhone release resulted in a slower September quarter that took Wall Street by surprise.

Kuo's note also included a list of the "major modifications" that KGI expects to see in iOS 6: greater integration with iCloud and Facebook, integration with iTunes Store and App Store "to some extent," improved Spotlight capabilities, updated user interfaces and an Apple map service to replace Google Maps.

AppleInsider reported last week that, according to Kuo, Apple's next-generation handset is likely to include the company's first change to the size of the device's screen. Kuo believes the sixth-generation iPhone will sport a taller 4-inch screen that will be stretched to a ratio of 16:9. The analyst also believes the new iPhone will be noticeably thinner and make use of an HD-resolution front-facing camera.

In addition to the iOS 6 announcement at WWDC, Kuo said he believes a new MacBook line will be Apple's "main weapon" at the conference, supplemented by a redesigneds iMac. He suggested that Apple may aim to release the products with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, which is due out this summer. However, Apple has yet to release a GM build of OS X Mountain Lion to developers, so if Apple were to release its new Macs with the new OS, they would likely not begin shipping until at least a few weeks after WWDC in order to give the company enough time to finalize the software.

Apple's highly-anticipated keynote kicks off on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of the event and the rest of the conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28

One giant step for Mac, one giant leap for Mac-kind.

I'm actually more excited about what we'll see new about iOS 6. It's here where Apple needs to really shine in order to emerge from the hoard that has nearly caught up to where Apple was a year ago.

• Reply 2 of 28
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

I think, as I've been saying, iOS 6 will be out with the new iPhone 5 and available for iPhone 4/4S/3G, etc shortly there after.

• Reply 3 of 28

Yawn.

• Reply 4 of 28

Have they actually ever shown an iPhone three whole months before releasing it? Isn't it usually a month, at the most?

• Reply 5 of 28

I can't wait for iOS 6, I hope there will be new Maps and a better YouTube app. I found out you can register a UDID so you can run iOS 6 beta early from this site: http://udidpremium.com/ has anyone used them before?

• Reply 6 of 28

I can't wait for iOS 6! I hope it comes out soon and hopefully there will be better maps and a better youtube app. I've seen this site: http://udidpremium.com/ and they say they can register a UDID, I think it's called so you can run the betas before the GM is released. Is this true and should I trust them?

• Reply 7 of 28
    I can't wait for iOS 6! I hope it comes out soon and hopefully there will be better maps and a better youtube app. I've seen this site: www.udidpremium.com and they say they can register a UDID, I think it's called so you can run the betas before the GM is released. Is this true and should I trust them?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Best mobile system is soon to come. Iphone 5 is imminent in Early to mid  September as Apple will need the sales to boost the September quarter earnings & sales.

• Reply 9 of 28
    hallcr3hallcr3 Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Have they actually ever shown an iPhone three whole months before releasing it? Isn't it usually a month, at the most?

The first iPhone was announced in January and released in June, I believe.

• Reply 10 of 28
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Have they actually ever shown an iPhone three whole months before releasing it?

Edit: Double post. hallcr3 beat me to it by 37 seconds.

• Reply 11 of 28
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

iOS 6.  New iPhone.  And Mountain Lion.  The possibility of new hardware (macs) and maybe an new iLife.  Sounds like a keynote in time and history to remember.  I have almost all the Keynotes ever done on video.  Can't wait to get this one.  I just love watching them.

• Reply 12 of 28

This is my time to upgrade, as I skip the spec boost versions and wait for the form factor to change before I sign up for another 2 year plan. I'm hoping this update is as significant, relatively speaking, as the 3GS>4 update was and if it is, I'll be more than pleased. 

Although I won't complain about the new, taller size (if there is a new size) because I know Apple will had done the research to ensure no degradation, compromise or concessions with the user experience, I will go on record with a prediction...

She will be thinner, the width will increase by a scant amount and the height will NOT increase more than 3/16".....unlike this.

• Reply 13 of 28

Normally I would agree but there's just so much detail on display in the video of the new iPhone back plate that I can't imagine it would have been worth the cost to fake it. Also, given that size change has been shown in other leaked parts and the iPhone 4 was also leaked before WWDC, I'm convinced we're going to see a new taller iPhone in about 10 hours.

• Reply 14 of 28

Oh look. Kuo has another opinion and AppleInsider reports it.

Not news, not rumor. Just another analyst opinion.

WWDC will be much more exciting. And factual.

• Reply 15 of 28

Quote:

Normally I would agree but there's just so much detail on display in the video of the new iPhone back plate that I can't imagine it would have been worth the cost to fake it. Also, given that size change has been shown in other leaked parts and the iPhone 4 was also leaked before WWDC, I'm convinced we're going to see a new taller iPhone in about 10 hours.

The only thing I fail to see in that "iPhone 5 unibody" is the lack of hole on the top for the ambient mic (I think that's what it's for), whether that's significant or not is anybody's guess. Plus the SIM card door is off-color when it's installed and I think Apple would make it blend perfectly.

• Reply 16 of 28

It appears the noise canceling mic is now positioned on the back of the iPhone near the camera.

• Reply 17 of 28

Quote:

It appears the noise canceling mic is now positioned on the back of the iPhone near the camera.

That may be an additional mic for stereo video recording, who knows. I just don't buy it. It's not going to be much bigger than it currently is and it will certainly not be as tall as in that video.

That said, I'm also preparing my crows for lunch just in case I need to eat.

• Reply 18 of 28
    I'm convinced we're going to see a new taller iPhone in about 10 hours.

Hopefully so.

I mentioned it was possible in another post and some people shot that idea down.

I just don't see how they can deliver iOS 6 (well i can see how, I just think they shouldn't) without announcing the new iPhone

Which will be the name

"The new iPhone "

IMHO
  • Reply 19 of 28
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

September, based on detailed analysis of.... what happened last year. Thanks. Got it.

• Reply 20 of 28
    Hopefully so.
    I mentioned it was possible in another post and some people shot that idea down.
    I just don't see how they can deliver iOS 6 (well i can see how, I just think they shouldn't) without announcing the new iPhone
    Which will be the name
    "The new iPhone "
    IMHO

This is what they've always done with the exception of the first iPhone (which had a longer period between announcement and release than any other iPhone).