New Apple AirPort Express features dual-band Wi-Fi

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The AirPort Express received a redesign on Monday, adding features previously only available in the AirPort Extreme, such as dual-band Wi-Fi.

Priced at $99, the new AirPort Express features a completely redesigned compact enclosure and new wireless and connectivity capabilities. Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi allows users to create a network that delivers optimal performance and range.

The AirPort Express also features an audio-out port to connect external powered speakers or an A/V receiver and use AirPlay to wirelessly stream from iTunes on a Mac or iOS device.

A USB 2.0 port also allows users to share a printer wirelessly over your network, and an additional ethernet port lets users connect to other computers and network devices.

Setup for the AirPort Express is built into OS X and iOS, and with AirPort Utility 6.0 for OS X Lion and iOS, users can access a visual map of their network for viewing and reconfiguring devices.

Airport Express

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Can't wait for iFixit to crack it open and find an 802.11ac chip in there.

• Reply 2 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I sure hope so but I wouldn't have expected any new AirPort routers without .11ac enabled so I'm doubtful that will be the case.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I sure hope so but I wouldn't have expected any new AirPort routers without .11ac enabled so I'm doubtful that will be the case.

The n computers shipped without being enabled. You never know, I guess…

I'm actually still hoping that the AirPort Extreme model number change from a few months back was for 802.11ac.

• Reply 4 of 15
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member

WOW....

All NEW design !!

Looks like Apple TV in White.

Obviously it has More functionality but I like the idea of just plugging the entire unit into the outlet, sans power cord.

Yes, I'll be buying one for the dual band.

Can't stand it when the microwave runs and my iTunes stutters.

• Reply 5 of 15
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member

Any chance that the USB port will accept USB thumb drives (or other connected drives) and have them show up on the ad hoc wireless network?  This would be similar to CloudFTP (by Hyperdrive).

• Reply 6 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member

I thought one of the main reasons for the AirPort Express was you could just plug it in on the go, no extra cable to lug around? What's the point now? It just looks like the AirPort Mini now. With the way I have mine set up, the new design is useless - the cable would be dangling in the way.

• Reply 7 of 15
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

They pulled this before. And later, to "unlock" the 802.11ac, an unlock fee applies. lol...I hope I get offered the fee because I really want the new WiFi.

Simultaneous 2.4+5GHz in AirPort Express still doesn't mean 450Mbps+450Mbps=900Mbps, unlike is the case for a bunch of routers that also have 3x3 MIMO and channel-bond both frequency ranges to achieve that speed. Just checking...?

• Reply 8 of 15

Wishing here that it gets such functionality, same as Airport Extreme (which makes Time Capsule redundant), and Time Capsule (which gives you the option of 2 networked drives).

Unfortunately this seems not available on the Airport Mini - http://www.apple.com/wifi/

USB Port - For printers only

Edit - seems like NAS could be added to the Ethernet Port though as a fall back:

Quote:

Go the wired route if you want.

AirPort Express includes a 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN port for fast wired connectivity with a desktop computer, network drive, DVR, or other device. And if you need more than one port, just connect an Ethernet hub.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

• Reply 9 of 15
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

The only logical information based on what is known at the time: "No" . Anything else is pure speculation

How 'bout those Apples, boy genius? :-)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Fortunately, I was able to find one of the previous Plug In N expresses, new on Amazon. I far preferred the plug in version, rather than this one with a wire. I use mine as an extender, and my old one was a "g"

• Reply 11 of 15
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member

Really lame the new secondary ethernet port it has is only 10/100. This would have been perfect to pair with a cheap gigabit switch if not for that.

Not to mention that multiple ISPs here in the US and around the world are offering speeds over 100Mbps so those ports are limiting them.

• Reply 12 of 15
    If you don't want a cord when traveling, just connect a flip out plug from your iPad, MacBook or old Airport Express. It fits in the same power connection and allows this or an Apple TV to be directly plugged in to an outlet.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    payeco wrote: »
    Really lame the new secondary ethernet port it has is only 10/100. This would have been perfect to pair with a cheap gigabit switch if not for that.

Not to mention that multiple ISPs here in the US and around the world are offering speeds over 100Mbps so those ports are limiting them.

I doubt the Fast Ethernet port is the bottleneck with that device.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeco View Post

The limiting factor is probably the wireless speed. Sure, the theoretical maximums of the N vs Fast Ethernet suggest that N is faster, but in the real world they are about the same. So even if you had a gigabit ethernet port, what good would it do you? The data still needs to ether come from or go to the wireless connection. It might get you a little extra speed, but not much. (The exception would be data coming in on the Ethernet port and going to the USB port for printing or the audio port, that data. There could be a minor benefit there because those datastreams wouldn't need to go out over the wireless.)

Edit: I may have spoke too soon. I didn't realize there are now separate Ethernet ports. In that case, yes, if your ISP provides greater than 100 mbps, then the Fast Ethernet ports would be a limiting factor. But I think that's a very small percentage of people (and people who can afford to be "upsold" to Airport Extreme)

• Reply 15 of 15
    Most power sockets are badly placed for wi-fi most of mine are behind furniture, so they are always plugged into extension leads. Was a cool idea but not always practical - I welcome the the new design.