Despite new CPU options, Apple reportedly questioning future of Mac Pro

1272829303133»

Comments

• Reply 641 of 649
    logandiggeslogandigges Posts: 399member

Mac Pros are sick. I want one so bad. They are just raw power. 

• Reply 642 of 649
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Mac Pros are sick. I want one so bad. They are just raw power. 

Looks like they're on their way:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150529/new-mac-pros-rumored-with-8-core-xeon-e5-cpus-thunderbolt-usb-3-0/40
  • Reply 643 of 649
    diggitidiggiti Posts: 15member

No Mac Pro announcement .... If its coming it'll probably be after mountain lion anyway

• Reply 644 of 649
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

I was hoping for a 'One More Thing'…but I guess those days are over.

• Reply 645 of 649
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Well this is a sad turn of events.   No matter what your opinion was with regards to a new Mac Pro, we are all wrong as nothing was announced today.   I'm actually a bit shocked that they didn't have time for the Mac Pro.   Actually they ignored a lot of stuff including the iMac, Mini, Mac Pro, 13" MBP and other things.   I guess that means quite roll outs over the next couple of weeks.   I also take that to mean nothing impressive coming Mac Pro wise.

On the flip side I'm really liking the new laptops.   It is just sad that Apples engineering efforts aren't directed towards making similarly interesting desktop machines.   

• Reply 646 of 649
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I was hoping for a 'One More Thing'…but I guess those days are over.

I was hoping for an indication that the desktop lineup was going to get some decent respect.   Instead they totally shut the desktop lineup out of WWDC.   Talk about sending the wrong message.

• Reply 647 of 649
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I was hoping for an indication that the desktop lineup was going to get some decent respect.   Instead they totally shut the desktop lineup out of WWDC.   Talk about sending the wrong message.

The Mac Pro was updated. Somehow. I don't see a difference.

THIRTY SEVEN NINETY NINE.

• Reply 648 of 649
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The Mac Pro was updated. Somehow. I don't see a difference.

THIRTY SEVEN NINETY NINE.

Seems like they dropped the 8-core models. $3799 for a 12-core isn't bad but they are still shipping with 5770 GPUs and pre-Sandy Bridge Xeons. No USB 3, no Thunderbolt.

Death row being served its last meal or waiting for better options next year.
  • Reply 649 of 649
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Seems like they dropped the 8-core models. $3799 for a 12-core isn't bad but they are still shipping with 5770 GPUs and pre-Sandy Bridge Xeons. No USB 3, no Thunderbolt.

Death row being served its last meal or waiting for better options next year.

Those machines are doable without thunderbolt, but this is the same board design. I don't think they're waiting for next year. Next year has rumors of Ivy Bridge E xeons, but they'd use  the same chipset so why not address both cpu generations? this isn't really an update. They just took the cpus that dropped significantly in price over the past two years and dropped the associated retail pricing. On a side note, this may lend some credence to the "questioning its future" rumors even if they were a good guess as this makes very little sense as an update.