Apple's new $49 iPad Smart Case covers both front and back

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple now offers a new $49 Smart Case for the iPad that covers not only the touchscreen display, but also the aluminum back of its tablet.

The new iPad smart case is in stock and available to purchase from Apple's online store. Apple's description notes that it covers both the front and back of the device, but retains the thin and light design of the iPad.

"Like the Smart Cover, it folds easily into a stand for reading, typing, and watching video," the description reads. "And it automatically wakes and sleeps iPad on open and close."

The new iPad Smart Case is made from polyurethane and is available in six colors: light gray, dark gray, blue, green, pink, and (PRODUCT) Red.

Case

Apple also offers free laser engraving with the iPad Smart Case. Users can personalize the case with a free message etched onto the back when ordered from the Apple Online Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'm still glad I was able to grab the orange Smart Cover after I heard they'd discontinued it.

I don't have an iPad that can use it, but maybe someday.

• Reply 2 of 36
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member

You know that Samsung is going to steal Apple's patent on covering both sides of a tablet.

• Reply 3 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

You know that Samsung is going to steal Apple's patent on covering both sides of a tablet.

Don't be purposely inflammatory.

• Reply 4 of 36
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

That's a pretty cool case, plus it is an insulator and protects it if you drop it.

• Reply 5 of 36
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

Why would you want an insulator?  I know we don't want to keep the heat in.

• Reply 6 of 36
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member

We'll see if it works better than anything else to protect it.  I have bought ten iOS devices and five of them have cracked screens.  My mom's iPad got a cracked screen when her cat knocked it off the couch onto the floor, a drop of two feet.

I hope the next generation of Apple devices don't have screens made of Swarovski Crystal.

• Reply 7 of 36
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

We'll see if it works better than anything else to protect it.  I have bought ten iOS devices and five of them have cracked screens.  My mom's iPad got a cracked screen when her cat knocked it off the couch onto the floor, a drop of two feet.

I hope the next generation of Apple devices don't have screens made of Swarovski Crystal.

We've had 5 iPhones, a touch and 3 iPads, and only has had a screen break (and all have been dropped.)

I find your story (or ability treat things properly) suspect.

• Reply 8 of 36

Quote:

Nope. Waterford.

• Reply 9 of 36
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

It looks like the hinges have a new coating as well, as they are the same color as the polyurethane. This is good news to me, as I just had to return a smart cover and iPad after the metal on metal contact of the hinge caused permanent dents into the side of my iPad where it connects after less than 2 months of use. 

• Reply 10 of 36
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    halhiker wrote: »

You are either violently clumbsy or a troll. I will go with troll. My family has owned at least 15 iOS devices since 2007 and not a single piece of glass is cracked. I dropped my iPad 2 on a metal bar from nearly 6 feet (no case) and got a small dent. I have 3 year old playing games on an old 3 gs that has been dropped 100s of times with no cracks.

I have dropped my 4s 4 or 5 times with no case and it is like new. Good luck with your trolling.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Anyone remember how much was the previous Smart Case without the back cover? Was it the same price?

• Reply 12 of 36
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Anyone remember how much was the previous Smart Case without the back cover? Was it the same price?

$39

• Reply 13 of 36
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't be purposely inflammatory.

He's not saying anything more than most that joke about Samsung copying Apple designs. If you'd open your eyes and look in the mirror, if there's anyone being inflammatory, it's you with most of your replies.

You know what, TS? Before you became a moderator you regularly made posts that contributed well to the article but over the last 6 months you've become predatory and condescending......almost borderline smart-ass, like what you say is the end-all-be-all and what everyone else says is just stupid. And I'm not the only one that has noticed.

How about a little more tact and tolerance? The two and tree word witty, snappy replies are getting to be a bit much.

Sorry, I didn't want to go off topic but I had to say something.

• Reply 14 of 36
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That's a pretty cool case, plus it is an insulator and protects it if you drop it.

Remember all those people complaining that the new iPad gets warm? So now instead of people noticing the heat we're going to lock it away inside so the chips can overheat instead of the users. I hope the iPad components are rated for really high temps.

• Reply 15 of 36

This looks exactly like the set up I have had for more than a year (I use a smart cover and a thin poly back case that I got on amazon for $4.5 or so).  I really like the set up.

• Reply 16 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Not in your case. because a glass screen that smacks on the floor is likely to break. the actual cover part isn't thick enough to prevent that. Especially since it tends to flip open when the iPad is falling. 

Perhaps the solution for Mom is to not leave her iPad on the couch if the kitty likes to climb up there. 

• Reply 17 of 36
    hlfnlsnhlfnlsn Posts: 34member

I have been using this case to cover the back of my iPad and I cant imagine using anything else.  The handle functionality alone makes it indispensable to me. 

www.zerochroma.com

• Reply 18 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'm still glad I was able to grab the orange Smart Cover after I heard they'd discontinued it.

I don't have an iPad that can use it, but maybe someday.

Wish I had it, but when ordering the new iPad it was discontinued, so I bought the red leather one.

edit, still available on Amazon, looks very yellow. Is the color in that picture accurate?

Looks darker on 9to5

• Reply 19 of 36
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple say that this case is compatible with both iPad 2 and 3. How it that possible when they are different thicknesses?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Apple say that this case is compatible with both iPad 2 and 3. How it that possible when they are different thicknesses?
    It's a soft case so perhaps it stretches to fit? New iPad isn't that much thicker.