Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 121 of 254
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Glad to see that Apple finally got with the USB3 program.  

Retina display is money.  Literally.  The price difference here puts this on the "maybe later when it comes down in price" list for everyone outside the "lol u new to Apple, we pay whatever the price!" crowd, which I am proudly not a part of.

To put things in perspective, the iPad got double ram, double res and double graphics for $0 increase in price.  Meanwhile, the MBP jets into the over priced stratosphere with similar upgrades.  Yea yea, it has an SSD. Big freaking deal, SSD prices have been on steep decline for several months now.

Sadly, I'll stay with my $1200 Asus win-brick.  256gb SSD, 32 gigglerams, i7, 1080p display will suit me just fine.  The fact I've already been using it for 6 months is nice too.... with a USB3 docking station.

• Reply 122 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

As for price, every decent pro level laptop, especially once upgraded, will run you 2 to 3 grand....  Anyone who thinks it's only Apple hasn't done their homework...  

I took an $850 Asus laptop, put 32gb of ram in it and a 256gb ssd, I am under $1200.  I am missing retina display (1080p is plenty) and the sexy slim, but for the $1000 in savings I don't care (especially for a machine that is used on a desk 99.9% of the time).

New MBP is awesome for sure.  Hyper inflated price tag though.

• Reply 123 of 254
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Soldered which is a very sad thing.

It also uses a nonstandard SSD (which may not be a problem) but it only has two USB ports. I'd gladly trade one of the TB ports or the HDMI ports for another USB ports. I do wonder if the 2nd TB port and push toward FW and GbE over TB means the next iDevice port connector will be TB compatible.

I see it as a really bad thing if you want to go past 16GB. If this isn't an issue, the current price difference isn't that bad. Is the issue a concern over capacity or the potential for ram failure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Further proof that Apple is so ahead of the consumer tech game (from what we've seen in this keynote especially) that people STILL don't understand Apple's display technologies. And that's just ONE piece of the Apple ecosystem puzzle. 

Apple just dropped a bomb on the entire PC industry - and not just with Retina displays, rendering most current non-Apple notebook offerings into pure junk. You can bet every cpu cycle in your Dell that after this keynote, the competition is running back to their laughable R&D departments in absolute panic. 

Get with the program. 

That is proof that one person doesn't understand tech. 1920x1080 has been common enough on the Windows side for a while, and they do have a different way of dealing with such a thing. With Apple's method of implementation, they have to double things, so the jump to implement such doubling without gigantic ui elements.

• Reply 124 of 254
    hypezhypez Posts: 2member

TBH:  The high end non retina 15in macbook pro is the same price as the entry retina with nearly same specs besides the old 5400 hd.   so the pricing isn't that bad and for those who say "256 SSD is so small omg i want my 5400 awesomeness."  get over it buy an external and move on.  for 2199 price tag this thing is nice.  it has alot new features not just the retina display.  the new cooling system is amazing and the build of the laptop itself was enough for me to purchase.   so TY apple for not sticking to the norm and changing everything again with little to any price hike!

• Reply 125 of 254
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member

No Wifi-AC, and price is embarrassingly high. I'm under-impressed.

• Reply 126 of 254
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Yea yea, it has an SSD. Big freaking deal, SSD prices have been on steep decline for several months now.

How many of them have 500MB/s read/write?

Genuine question; I don't follow SSDs because they're still nowhere near the capacities I need.

• Reply 127 of 254
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypez View Post

TBH:  The high end non retina 15in macbook pro is the same price as the entry retina with nearly same specs besides the old 5400 hd.   so the pricing isn't that bad and for those who say "256 SSD is so small omg i want my 5400 awesomeness."  get over it buy an external and move on.  for 2199 price tag this thing is nice.  it has alot new features not just the retina display.  the new cooling system is amazing and the build of the laptop itself was enough for me to purchase.   so TY apple for not sticking to the norm and changing everything again with little to any price hike!

True, especially since they are supporting USB 3 now so the range of fast external drives is now in reach as Thunderbolt accessories are still way too expensive.

• Reply 128 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Genuine question; I don't follow SSDs because they're still nowhere near the capacities I need.

Not all but some. I run a Crucial m4 which will do that read, but not write.  The samsung 830 series (I think) will do 500 r/w, it was $230 for a 256GB within the last couple weeks.  Almost picked up one for my optical bay.

• Reply 129 of 254
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

now if the headline was...

Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 17" display

...i'd be getting out my amex, as it is, i'm going to be lovingly caring for my 17" for a long long time

• Reply 130 of 254

Quote:

This does http://au.sandisk.com/products/solid-state-drives/sandisk-extreme-solid-state-drive/.

Just put the 240GB one in my Mac Mini for $239 AUS and it's great.

• Reply 131 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypez View Post

i guess it cool for you to spend $2200+ on a machine and tug along an external HDD, for most users im sure its not.

• Reply 132 of 254
    modemode Posts: 163member

Amusing how they state "less glare".

Any glare is a big negative, so I guess 'less glare' is a step in the right direction.

I imagine professionals pouring out of their studio's and offices, racing to the nearest Mac store in a mad frenzy to see the new 'less glare' screens.

I know i'll be one of them. 'Less Glare' is almost what i've been wanting for a long time now.

Heaven forbid that professionals should ask for 'no glare' (let those spoiled trolls feel the wrath of the all-knowing Tallest-Shrill).

Dare we dream of iMac's with 'less glare'?

• Reply 133 of 254
    hypezhypez Posts: 2member

just seems to me in all my uses i never find myself needing a library of music or all my movies on a laptop when i leave the house?  and to pull out a usb 3 external hd that fits in my hand doesn't seem a big deal to me.   guess im just living in the future or something =D

• Reply 134 of 254
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

They have pushed it way too far this time, others will come along with a similar slim design add royally ample hard drive storage, upgradable and reasonably priced ram... They ve dropped the ball big time...

No OS X, no Apple ecosystem, NO SALE. 

You still don't get it. 

• Reply 135 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Amusing how they state "less glare".

Any glare is a big negative, so I guess 'less glare' is a step in the right direction.

I imagine professionals pouring out of their studio's and offices, racing to the nearest Mac store in a mad frenzy to see the new 'less glare' screens.

I know i'll be one of them. 'Less Glare' is almost what i've been wanting for a long time now.

Heaven forbid that professionals should ask for 'no glare' (let those spoiled trolls feel the wrath of the all-knowing Tallest-Shrill).

Dare we dream of iMac's with 'less glare'?

I don't mind the glare on my iMac and my old Macbook Pro to be honest. I had a Dell U2711 attached as a second monitor but the anti glare coating on it was horrible so I returned it and the Apple display cost too much in my opinion. Samsung make a great 27" monitor with perfect anti glare coating. 

• Reply 136 of 254
    modemode Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

No Wifi-AC, and price is embarrassingly high. I'm under-impressed.

but dude.... less glare!

'Less glare' comes at a price.

• Reply 137 of 254
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

More like, "BA HA HA HA HA HA No Ethernet?! Failure!"

Of course this thing is going to be $3,000 BASE price… Just watch.

What currency are you figuring this in?

Try $2200.

• Reply 138 of 254

This is really just a nice 15 inch air, not a lot of storage space.

• Reply 139 of 254
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Since when is 0.71 inches / 1.8 cm considered "Extremely thin" ?

I mean in pre-mba/ultrabook era this kind of thickness was a norm for laptops.

{*peers at Windows PC laptop, recalls TiBook and earlier PowerBook G3...*}

What, did you spend a lot of time working on laptops post-truck accident?
  • Reply 140 of 254
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Apple just effectively made the baseline Retina MBP dead on arrival, by locking it to 256GB storage. Why would they do this?

The top model can even expand to 768GB. Ggrrrr...