Apple announces iOS 6 with Siri enhancements, Facebook integration

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How do I integrate iWork, iLife, iMovie, iTunes/iCloud match with my iPhones and iPads using Google/Android?  

We have over 10,000 songs on iCloud accessible on all our iDevices as if they were stored on the iDevice.

You essentially could do most of that between Google Music and Google Drive, not that I'm suggesting it's superior. 

• Reply 42 of 83
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I expect Apple to give users more than 14 months of support. Particularly when they give their OTHER users four years of support.

Why did you buy a first gen iPad 14 months ago, I thought you were informed? Things move on in the technology world, sorry to say that iOS6 just isn't for you.

• Reply 43 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Downloading the iOS 6 SDK now -- can't wait to try the new features.

• Reply 44 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukei View Post

Why did you buy a first gen iPad 14 months ago, I thought you were informed? Things move on in the technology world, sorry to say that iOS6 just isn't for you.

1. I never said that I did. Probably because I didn't.

2. No, that is neither an excuse nor an explanation. Please try again.

• Reply 45 of 83
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Total. Frigging. Crap.

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 2.58.01 PM.png

I think I can say that now.

Fantastic!  Although expected.

• Reply 46 of 83
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

Quote:

1. I never said that I did. Probably because I didn't.

2. No, that is neither an excuse nor an explanation. Please try again.

No but it's reality. If you don't like the way Apple are acting then change supplier, it's simple. Nothing you do or say will make any difference to their strategy.

• Reply 47 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukei View Post

Nothing you do or say will make any difference to their strategy.

Yeah, users certainly have no sway in changing companies' minds.

• Reply 48 of 83
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member

Quote:

Yeah, users certainly have no sway in changing companies' minds.

Users would not include you though.

One thing I will never understand in these forums is how much time and effort you spend commenting, defending, criticizing your own or other peoples views on product you dont even own or use yourself.

• Reply 49 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Users would not include you though.

One thing I will never understand in these forums is how much time and effort you spend commenting, defending, criticizing your own or other peoples views on product you dont even own or use yourself.

What products don't I own or use?

• Reply 50 of 83

Quote:

Total. Frigging. Crap.

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 2.58.01 PM.png

I think I can say that now.

Really? I was really surprised that iOS 6 will support back to iPhone 3GS.What are you disappointed by, lack of first-gen iPad support? 

• Reply 51 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple's stock wasup most of the day and now it's down $3 and change. Obviously the market is 'meh' on these updates. FB integration not a big deal. 3D maps are cool but turn by turn navigation is something the iPhone should have had for years now so that doesn't really wow anyone. And nothing related to Apple TV. Once again the hype is so much greater than what Apple can/decides to deliver.

I can't really comment authoritatively on the stock market, but I thought the upgrades were great. 

I was hoping for some big change to the home screen/multitasking interface - Mission Control, Widgets, scrollable folders, quick settings access, etc. Didn't get any of that. At least not yet - they've thrown in features after the Beta release and even after the GM, so let's see. But on the other hand they did add some wonderful features. Navigation was iOS' most grievous weakness, and now it looks great. Siri looks more capable, let's hope she's a bit smarter too. Improvements to Notification Center, Phone, FaceTime, Safari, and iCloud look handy as well. VIPs, Passbook, Do Not Disturb, etc. look like useful real-world features. 

A solid upgrade, all in all. Combined with neat Mountain Lion features (at $19.99), iCloud enhancements, spec bumps on MacBooks, an awesome new MacBook Pro, and a redesigned Airport Express, and I'd say it was a great showing. Better than last years, IMO.

And yes, I'm glad for the Facebook integration.

• Reply 52 of 83
    mbp-tommbp-tom Posts: 3member

is anyone having troubles getting the iOS beta's from the dev centre? I keep getting a "access denied" message and wondered if anyone knew a work around for this. My subscription is well in date and I want to try some of the new features for myself. 

Any ideas?

*dev forums won't load either!*

• Reply 53 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I don't use a Mac, so I have no idea what iWork, iLife, or iMovie are.

I can easily have Google Music store my iTunes purchases.

I can't imagine paying for my music twice by paying for iTunes Match. I already bought the CD's. Why should I pay another fee?  There is no such fee with Google.

Keep in mind I own an iPhone and when the next one comes out, I'll buy that one too. I think they are better all-around devices than the Android devices. But the "Apple has iCould" argument just doesn't wash for me, since iCloud is so closed.

You obviously don't understand iTunes Match!  

1) It sends the info for every song in your iTunes library (purchased, ripped or unknown) to the cloud.

2) songs that match the  iTunes server are not uploaded -- they are made accessible (even if the server copy is higher quality)

3) unmatched songs are uploaded and made accessable

4) All songs stored on the iCloud are accessible by every computer or iDevice we own -- 6 Macs, 5 iPhones, 7 iPads.

So to get our 10,000 song library into the cloud took nay a couple of hours -- about 350 songs needed to be uploaded (and that was done automatically by the iTunes match program)

The total cost for songs was $0.

I can hardly wait until they include  movies, TV Shows, Home Movies, Training  Videos, etc.

• Reply 54 of 83

Quote:

What products don't I own or use?

What iOS devices do you use regularly or have you used regularly?

• Reply 55 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple's stock wasup most of the day and now it's down $3 and change. Obviously the market is 'meh' on these updates. FB integration not a big deal. 3D maps are cool but turn by turn navigation is something the iPhone should have had for years now so that doesn't really wow anyone. And nothing related to Apple TV. Once again the hype is so much greater than what Apple can/decides to deliver.

You think that the stock movement - a stock movement of .5% - is indicative of the 100+ million apple iDevice users opinion of todays product updates?

That's funny.

• Reply 56 of 83
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

This update is pretty underwhelming to me. 

What I really want to be able to do is have some sort of Finder so that I can upload images or files from my iPad onto web pages directly without having to have a separate app for craigslist, cnn, facebook, photobucket, etc. 

Also, side by side apps would be cool, to be able to drag and drop items from one app to the next (text, images, etc.)

The maps and navigation look neat and look forward to using that (does this effectively kill off all GPS apps in the app store?) 

One exciting feature- Siri for iPad, yes!! I've been waiting for this and I knew it would happen.

• Reply 57 of 83
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Really? I was really surprised that iOS 6 will support back to iPhone 3GS.What are you disappointed by, lack of first-gen iPad support? 

I was mildly surprised. But then again, you can buy a new iPhone 3GS from Apple today, but not a new first-gen iPad.

I've got a third-gen iPod touch, which also isn't supported, even though it's basically an iPhone 3GS minus the phone. I don't think it's anything to get upset over. Three years of running the current iOS isn't bad, especially since the AppleCare only covers two years.

• Reply 58 of 83
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You obviously don't understand iTunes Match!  

1) It sends the info for every song in your iTunes library (purchased, ripped or unknown) to the cloud.

2) songs that match the  iTunes server are not uploaded -- they are made accessible (even if the server copy is higher quality)

3) unmatched songs are uploaded and made accessable

4) All songs stored on the iCloud are accessible by every computer or iDevice we own -- 6 Macs, 5 iPhones, 7 iPads.

So to get our 10,000 song library into the cloud took nay a couple of hours -- about 350 songs needed to be uploaded (and that was done automatically by the iTunes match program)

The total cost for songs was $0.

I can hardly wait until they include  movies, TV Shows, Home Movies, Training  Videos, etc.

I understand it completely. I rip all of my CD's at VBR, so there won't be a higher quality on the server.  All of my songs, purchased off iTunes or ripped from CD's are available through Google Music to all my other iDevices (2 iPhones and an iPad 2) and PC's.  Additionally, they are available through iTunes Home Sharing.

I'll also add that I don't have a library of 10,000 songs. We're probably at 10% of that, which is more music than we can listen to.

• Reply 59 of 83

A brief recap of Apple’s “innovation” in the last few iOS.

versions:

iOS5:

Voice dictation – Stolen from Android, Siri was nothing more.

than using Android’s idea and “one-upping” them.

OTA updates – Stolen from Android.

Notification bar – Shamelessly stolen from Android.

Cloud services – Stolen from Android.

iOS6:

You can now ask Siri how tall LeBron is – Ok….

Facebook and Twitter integration throughout the OS – Stolen from.

Android, WebOS, and WP.

Contact syncing – Stolen from Android.

Homescreen actions when a call comes in – Stolen from.

Android

Do Not Disturb mode – Stolen from Cyanogen (aka Android).

Tab syncing in Safari – Stolen from Google (Chrome).

Lockscreen notifications – Stolen from Android.

Turn-by-turn navigation – Stolen from Android.

3D maps – Stolen from Google.

• Reply 60 of 83
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davestall View Post

WOW.  Iphone now integrated with Facebook!  Is there any end to the magic Apple is putting out 3 years later than everyone else?

If I was Tim Cook, I would be ashamed to stand on stage and actually announce this; its so behind the times.

Well I'm known for not being the biggest fan of iOS but this new update did do what is was intented to do, add features that we've had for the last year on Android, so that's a good thing. I still find tbe interface childish and archaic and in desperate need of change. I really wanted to like this release but it brought absolutly nothing new that I want, not surprising Apple has no pressure anymore to do anything great with it. What I'm interested in is that new Macbook Pro, such a good price for what you get. I just wished they would have introduced that Retina display threw out the line. I'm a big fan of the Air series, I mean how can a tablet have it and not their best selling notebooks. Oh well maybe next year, I can wait I'm still happy with the previouse model.