First look: Apple's Clock app comes to iPad with iOS 6

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iPad will gain a new native application when users upgrade to iOS 6: The Clock software previously found on the iPhone.

The Clock application has been found on the iPhone since it first launched in 2007. But when Apple debuted the iPad in 2010, Clock was one of the applications that didn't make its way over to the iPad.

Apple has corrected that with iOS 6, as the Clock will become available on the iPad when the software update launches this fall. Developers were provided with a preview build of iOS 6 after Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday.

Like on the iPhone, Clock for iPad will allow users to set an alarm on their device. It also features a "World Clock" mode with a map of the globe featuring weather and times in different locales.

Also included is a "Stopwatch" functionality, which allows users to time and event, and mark lap numbers. A "Timer" feature is also included, for more traditional timekeeping.

Clock 1

Clock 2

Clock 3

Clock 4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member

Finally, i've been wanting for this for a while, but thankfully i just got my first iPad a month ago with LTE so finally its here! Should have been there from the start though

• Reply 2 of 35
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

This must be one of those features that require a lot of horsepower.  They couldn't add it until the iPad 3rdGen's specs caught up with the advancement in technology.

• Reply 3 of 35
    when are they going to include Calculator?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member

About time too! I use my ipad for displaying recipes when cooking quite a lot and it's a pain having to have my phone with me too in order to time stuff when I could just do it on the ipad which is already next to me....

Still no sign of an iPad calculator app? - dabrace1984 beat me by 20 seconds!

• Reply 5 of 35
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

HOLY CRAP!!?!?!!  A CLOCK!!?!?!?!  APPLE REINVENTED TIME!?!?!?!?

• Reply 6 of 35

I'm a little surprised at the Timer page... it's a little... ugly.

• Reply 7 of 35
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I guess the Weather and/or Calculator app will have to wait until iOS 7 or 8?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member
    Has anyone had any success activating their iDevices? My iPad 3 says that it isn't a part of the dev program. Of course it is. Also, I would post on the dev forums, but they've gone down. Overwhelmed.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Good news.   This is a system app that should have been there from the beginning.   I use my clock on my iPhone constantly for various uses.

• Reply 10 of 35
    lun_esexlun_esex Posts: 27member

Apple didn't bother adding the Clock app to the iPad until now because Siri in iOS 6 for the 3rd gen iPad needs it in order to set alarms and timers. Otherwise it would still be MIA.

Weather and Calculator are still "third party opportunities"...

• Reply 11 of 35
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbellanca View Post

I'm a little surprised at the Timer page... it's a little... ugly.

I was thinking the same thing. It will probably be fixed by the final.

• Reply 12 of 35

Pretty! I like it! :)

• Reply 13 of 35
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Finally! Now gimme weather, calc and stocks, and I'll quit whinnying.
    Maybe it's a Siri thing? But then Siri could just direct you to a website rather than those apps I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Weather app. Calculator app.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lun_Esex View Post

Apple didn't bother adding the Clock app to the iPad until now because Siri in iOS 6 for the 3rd gen iPad needs it in order to set alarms and timers.

This is sarcasm/joking, correct?

• Reply 16 of 35
    sipsip Posts: 210member

The Alarm page is more interesting as it looks like alarms can be set for different times/days, and is integrated with the Calendar app??

Any devs out there who can confirm this? Or is this just the Repeat function?

• Reply 17 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sip View Post

The Alarm page is more interesting as it looks like alarms can be set for different times/days, and is integrated with the Calendar app??

I imagine it's exactly the same as it was before, just more intuitively presented.

Calendar has its own alarm system that works for more permanent notifications. Would you want those to show up in a space for less permanent ones?

• Reply 18 of 35
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I guess os x 10.9 will have an alarm app too, hurray!

Ugly looking app btw with uninspired design, of apple could get some ceis from app store devs and stop making such boring apps, like is one and the reminders app.

Btw is the alarm able to play music on wake up time?
  • Reply 19 of 35
    onglongl Posts: 4member

It is long overdue.. A simple clock app from beginning would do fine and save us a couple dollars from 3rd party ones.

Well, better now than never.

• Reply 20 of 35
    dpen00dpen00 Posts: 2member
    Nice, but I agree with everyone else. Where is the Weather app? Makes no sense for it not to be on the iPad.