First look at Apple's 'next generation MacBook Pro' with photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Looks real nice. I don't need a new laptop at the moment, but when my current one dies, I'll be picking up one of these new macbook pros for sure.

Regarding the 17", screw the 17"! I'm glad that they killed it. I've always hated 17" laptops, they're not portable and they're really ugly. They also never sold that many of them, compared to the other models. So, anybody who likes or wants a 17" is in the extreme minority, and you are part of a microscopic market segment that just doesn't matter. So in conclusion, screw the 17". 

• Reply 22 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

You know even though I'm boiling made about the lack of respect for the desktop I really like this new laptop. We will have to see how it holds up to testing but if performance is as good as i expect there might be a future for the MBP at my house.

The balance of features seems to be just about right.

• Reply 23 of 81
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

nope.

And Mac Pro have the laziest bump in history. No thunderbolt. No usb3. Tim Cook accept substandard products. 

The New Apple.... 

Wait, so no upgrade while Jobs was alive and that's better than a small upgrade now?  Put down the kool aid.

• Reply 24 of 81
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

Looks great - I'm a sucker for the display but my current Mac is just two years old, otherwise I'd be in for sure. I might still be if I can convince the Mrs to take this Mac.

• Reply 25 of 81
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Memory: Don't you think 8 gig is enough for all people who don't use more then one virtual machine? 

The nerds that wants to swap memory, hard drive and other stuff inside their computers are just a couple of percent of the market. Apple aren't for you. Get an Alienware with 15 minutes of battery time. 

Yikes.

I'm a computer technician.  It's really nice that someone who bought a Mac laptop 4 years ago with 1 GB of RAM and Leopard can jack it up to 4 GB of RAM and run Lion acceptably well.  Without that upgrade, no dice.  So you can certainly imagine someone buying a basic configuration today, and in 5 years wanting to take advantage of that vaunted Apple longevity by upgrading the RAM and installing Mac OS 10.11 Pussy Cat.  No longer possible.  Not cool.  And not for nerds only.  What a ridiculous comment.

• Reply 26 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

That looks very nice and i like it but with the discontinuing of the 17 inch mac book pro, i won't make the jump to OS X, i will continue to buy iphones and update my ipad when it is old enough, but a 17 inch screen on a laptop is not only the selling point for me, but its the first requirement.

That said, i like the airport express, i will probably buy one of those, as well as, the new iphone

Historically, the apple routers are the most worthless apple products you can buy, with the exception of their OLD airport express which you could use as a repeater and audio out from your computer. Their laptops on the other hand, have been awesome. These look pretty stellar. I'm sure the NEXT version of this same chassis will be awesome. They always seem to have one or two tiny little compromises that get updated with a newer revision. Hopefully that ends up being upgradable ram, and as someone above mentioned, HDMI in/out.

• Reply 27 of 81

Quote:

nope.

And Mac Pro have the laziest bump in history. No thunderbolt. No usb3. Tim Cook accept substandard products. 

The New Apple.... 

I think they ended up not bumping those to usb3 because they held back on getting the ivy bridge chips for it. I bet once it gets those, it adopts all the bells and whistles that those chips and their supporting cast allow for. 

• Reply 28 of 81
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    They repurposed the DVD eject button as the power button, which I like:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on/

Some might accidentally force shut down their computer but it's a cleaner layout that way.

Not being able to upgrade RAM or SSD after buying isn't too good. If you find the 8GB RAM isn't enough, you have to get a new machine and you won't benefit from SSD prices dropping. It had to come eventually I guess and Apple can make it more reliable this way but if your laptop dies, there's no way to get your data off your machine.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

This laptop design has reached its physical minimization limits. Ivy and team need to realize this has run its course. It's as thin as it gets. The SSD only for Retina is a complete joke, especially when SSD is topped at 750MB and the tech itself isn't set for a big leap forward wrt pricing and performance, never mind physical size.

• Reply 30 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Historically, the apple routers are the most worthless apple products you can buy, with the exception of their OLD airport express which you could use as a repeater and audio out from your computer. Their laptops on the other hand, have been awesome. These look pretty stellar. I'm sure the NEXT version of this same chassis will be awesome. They always seem to have one or two tiny little compromises that get updated with a newer revision. Hopefully that ends up being upgradable ram, and as someone above mentioned, HDMI in/out.

Horse crap. The Airport Extreme Base Station blows the competition out of the water. No comparison in design, performance and longevity.

• Reply 31 of 81
    anon7979anon7979 Posts: 17member

For those crowing about the Mac Pro mini-"upgrade", how can you possibly be surprised by this? Apple has for years cultivated a closed marketplace platform called the "App Store". They even have it available for, get this, OS X now. And... check this out... every product that's gotten refreshed this year? Doesn't even come with a DVD drive. Mmm hmm... now you see where things are headed?

Be glad there was ANY sort of refresh on the MP... it's most likely the last.

If they spent the resources needed to put out a true update for the MP, it would have had to have had much newer video cards. Apple ain't makin' no money off you fools playing games on tricked out rigs such as those... they makin' they money off them iPads and iPhones by locking you into their closed eco-system. Not so easy to control you on your Mac Pro. (and not so easy to sell the idea of a Mac "Pro" if it did).

• Reply 32 of 81
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I so wish the whole line got this treatment, but they have to get costs down no doubt. Hopefully by the next refresh. And by then Haswell will bring a huge upgrade too, even the 13" will have a big graphics boost from that, enough to drive a retina resolution display. 

• Reply 33 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This laptop design has reached its physical minimization limits. Ivy and team need to realize this has run its course. It's as thin as it gets. The SSD only for Retina is a complete joke, especially when SSD is topped at 750MB and the tech itself isn't set for a big leap forward wrt pricing and performance, never mind physical size.

Who's Ivy?
  • Reply 34 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I think they ended up not bumping those to usb3 because they held back on getting the ivy bridge chips for it.

That won't happen until late next year…

• Reply 35 of 81
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member

Can't believe they've gone back to a T connector for magsafe. Hope they've figured out how to prevent it from failing.

• Reply 36 of 81
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Completely pointless. Current 17'' already has retina screen for all intents and purposes. At normal viewing distance when it sits on your lap (I'm typing on one right now) you can't see individual pixels and everything is incredibly sharp already. Old gen 15'' really did have blocky text and needed a high res screen.

Discontinuation of 17'' and anemic Mac Pro update are clear signals where Apple is going. Pure consumer mobile market. Pros should start migrating away from this platform now.

• Reply 37 of 81
    krbmswkrbmsw Posts: 1member

Am I missing something?  Everyone is complaining about no USB3 or Thunderbolt.  It clearly has two Thunderbolt and USB3 ports on the Apple website:  http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/ ;

Ah, that's retina.

But wait...the regular pros have two USB3 and one Thunderbolt:  http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/13-and-15-inch/

• Reply 38 of 81
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Can't believe they've gone back to a T connector for magsafe. Hope they've figured out how to prevent it from failing.

Yeah, what's up with that? The parallel connector was a good improvement, now they go back. 

• Reply 39 of 81

Is it my imagination, or is the 17 inch MBP missing from the Apple website?

I couldn't find it.  Is it discontinued?

• Reply 40 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Is it my imagination, or is the 17 inch MBP missing from the Apple website?

I couldn't find it.  Is it discontinued?

"You don't pay attention to the news much, do you, Mr. Wayne?"

Yes, it's discontinued.