First look: Apple's all-new Maps in iOS 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The release of iOS 6 later this year will mark a major shift for Apple away from Google Maps to its own in-house mapping solution, complete with 3D recreations of cities, turn-by-turn directions and crowd-sourced traffic data.

Developers can get a first taste of the new Maps application in iOS 6 with the beta issued by Apple on Monday following the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote presentation.

The new 3D mapping technology found in the updated Maps application is not yet active in all cities. However, it can be tested with Cupertino, Calif., which is where Apple's corporate headquarters is located.

Turn-by-turn navigation with the new iOS 6 Maps application features a user interface that mimics freeway road signs, telling users where to turn. Directions can also be prompted using Siri.

Copyright data found in iOS 6 reveals that Apple has partnered with prominent GPS maker TomTom for its turn-by-turn directions in the new Maps application.

Apple's new Maps also offers integration with Yelp, which provides user-submitted reviews for virtually all stores, restaurants and other businesses in the U.S.

Maps 6

Maps 7

Maps 8

Maps 9

Maps 1

Maps 3

Maps 4

Maps 5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58

What I hate most about maps is that you have to keep paying to update it. Car nav and dedicated units. Even ios apps. You get the app but then have to keep paying for updated maps. I am hoping apples maps are updated quickly when new roads appear or construction work makes detours for streets, etc. And most likely this is going to be free of charge with the purchase of apple hardware.

• Reply 2 of 58
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

What a bummer they left the new maps out of reach for iPhone 4 owners. 

• Reply 3 of 58
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

What I hate most about maps is that you have to keep paying to update it. Car nav and dedicated units. Even ios apps. You get the app but then have to keep paying for updated maps. 

Not sure which you are using, but I've got the TomTom UK iOS app and I get map updates included free with every app update...

They have to do it this way unless they want to release a new app per map update as otherwise people buying the app new would be on outdated maps... 

• Reply 4 of 58
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Was that info in another thread?  I didn't see that in the AI article.

• Reply 5 of 58
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Yeah, I don't get that either... Perhaps the flyover was too intensive for the CPU/GPU in the 4, but turn-by-turn? That seems like an arbitrary limitation. Pretty sure even the original iPhone would have been able to handle that. 

• Reply 6 of 58

Is there any way to make the major roads more pronounced?  I would expect Broome Street, Broadway, and W Houston to be a little more pronounced... it makes the map look weird.. is this how maps are in other cities as well?

• Reply 7 of 58
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member

Very grateful for this upgrade.  Goodbye to rented GPS on car rentals!

• Reply 8 of 58
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Was that info in another thread?  I didn't see that in the AI article.

It's on the info page

1. Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

• Reply 9 of 58
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I am very pleased about finally getting voice turn by turn. That was my #1 request for any Apple mapping app. Waze and Mapquest offer that now for free, but they really aren't very good and the commercial apps seem far too pricey for just an occasional user. One thing I know for a fact, navigation apps can eat through a lot of data very quickly. People without an unlimited or reasonably large data plan  better be very careful about using this new app. 

• Reply 10 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The acknowledgements in the new Maps app: http://gspsa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html
  • Reply 11 of 58
    @tiger@tiger Posts: 18member
    Will Maps in iOS6 show speedcameras ? This is a feature in the dedicated Navigation apps like TomTom I use all the time.

And of course as already stated, this app will use a lot of bandwith updating maps and info, so a good data plan is required.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The 3D mapping is cool but it's not as detailed as I would have expected nor does it allow you to zoom is as close as I would have expected. Over LTE it certainly was fluid and I didn't encounter any crashes. My only real concern is the lack of StreetView as this does not replace that feature in any way, shape or form. While I don't Street View often when I do need it it's an indispensable feature in iOS Maps I'll be sad to see gone.

@tiger wrote: »
    And of course as already stated, this app will use a lot of bandwith updating maps and info, so a good data plan is required.
    Compared to the TomTom app the 1.6GB app is local to the phone but probably not anymore than what other mobile OSes already offer.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Goodbye, Waze.  It isn't you, it's me.  Well, since you insist... I have found another...  We can still be friends...

• Reply 14 of 58
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

It's worth noting that TomTom owns Tele Atlas and also supplies mapping data to Google. So Apple's new application essentially uses the same data as Google Maps. It's not just turn-by-turn data, it's the geographical data on which the map tiles are based. If you look through the acknowledgments for Apple's new Maps and Google Maps many of the sources are the same.

• Reply 15 of 58
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member

Finally! I'm so excited for Turn-by-turn. I missed that feature the most from my Droid X. It's a major selling point for Android phones, which why I suspected we never got it through the Google iMap.

Street view would be nice, Google might release a version of the map app that you can have separate for street view? Who knows. That might be the new selling point of Android's now.

• Reply 16 of 58
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

i would think that turn by turn includes via bluetooth

i also hope that google maps is still an option, since i use it for search, restaurants, gas, etc

i'd still like both and be able to choose

maps and data, since on a server, should be continuously updated

very much looking forward for this

its a pain upgrading my gamin, takes 3 hours,  BUT i help off updating my  unit when i heard this today

• Reply 17 of 58
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I can understand limiting the 3D views to newer devices, but restricting turn-by-turn navigation? That's just downright idiotic.

• Reply 18 of 58

That's interesting...I live in the town the person is getting directions to...

• Reply 19 of 58
    Transit schedules are missing from the new Maps. (In the keynote, the addition of new transit APIs was mentioned as an opportunity for third-party developers.)

The transit data is provided by the operators themselves, so in general it is not difficult for anyone else to fetch it and provide routes and schedules using it. The most important feature of Google Maps Transit is that it provides access to *all* the data through a single interface, and can compose trip routings using multiple transit agencies with adjacent or overlapping territories.

I hope we will see a standalone Google Transit app before the release of iOS 6.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    cgavulacgavula Posts: 7member

In my opinion it's unfortunate that they chose to partner with Tom Tom. In my experience their maps are really inferior to Navteq maps in the U.S.  Not nearly as reliable.  Maybe the addition of so many new users will finally lead to an improvement in those maps, but I really think they should have used Navteq data instead.